Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #1

New Roo Model 235S

Just saw this new Roo model and really like the floor plan. Couch and dinette in the side and I really like the outdoor kitchen... Anyone here own one or have any opinions??

http://youtu.be/oZ-aXD2KP64.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
Canadian Member

Nice, but that dry weight seems heavy for a Roo hybrid. Our 2009 Roo 23SS was 4600# empty and 5200# loaded and ready to go camping.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
Site Team

kennibc just got one and did a review in the Product Review sub-forum. I believe they are the first on the Forum, to get one.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=178013

We had a 23SS for 10 years. The 235S has a big negative for us. NO kitchen counterspace. We would preferred more of that, instead of the outside kitchen.
The recliner sofa and fireplace are positives.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
Just saw this new Roo model and really like the floor plan. Couch and dinette in the side and I really like the outdoor kitchen... Anyone here own one or have any opinions??

http://youtu.be/oZ-aXD2KP64.
Would really love that outdoor kitchen and the fire place!!!
Lawlesszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #5

I our 24WS because of counter space and wide open floor space when slide is out.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:40 PM   #6

Hello All,
I bought one and I am blown away by the layout, quality, Functionality, and features. We were looking at hardside campers until this popped up. It feels just as big as a 30ft camper. It is so open and wide throughout. I haven't even dropped the tents yet.

I've spent the last 2 days loading up gear and moving things around. The storage behind the TV is HUGE. I can fit 6 sleeping bags behind there! The pantry next to the fridge is where we will have all the duffel bags of clothes for a family of 5. I will create a photo album and share it here.

If you have any questions just ask.

It is heavier than some, but it is an amazing layout that gives you the flexibility to camp into the winter. I am in Michigan and I was just using the fireplace heater and it was very comfortable inside the camper all weekend so far (turtled). I could see trying winter camping next year.

The outdoor kitchen is awesome. The front passthrough storage is bigger than it appears if trying to judge by the side doors. It's closer to 2ft wide in the front.

- Chris

Here is the link to my photo album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6KVJ5491c5HdN6dx9
kennibc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:50 PM   #7

I just saw pics on the Hybrid Trailer FB page...might have been your unit kennibc! It really reminds me of our 21ss with the open floor plan and large amount of space. That supper slide with the dinette and sofa makes a HUGE difference. I must agree with bikendan, counter space is lacking! Fortunately we do all of our cooking outside and use the stove top as additional counter. Best of luck and enjoy, really nice looking unit.

m
hybridlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:56 PM   #8
Engineer of Crazy Train

I think a few of us saw it on the FB Hybrid Page. Nice looking unit.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennibc View Post
Hello All,
I bought one and I am blown away by the layout, quality, Functionality, and features. We were looking at hardside campers until this popped up. It feels just as big as a 30ft camper. It is so open and wide throughout. I haven't even dropped the tents yet.

I've spent the last 2 days loading up gear and moving things around. The storage behind the TV is HUGE. I can fit 6 sleeping bags behind there! The pantry next to the fridge is where we will have all the duffel bags of clothes for a family of 5. I will create a photo album and share it here.

It is heavier than some, but it is an amazing layout that gives you the flexibility to camp into the winter. I am in Michigan and I was just using the fireplace heater and it was very comfortable inside the camper all weekend so far (turtled). I could see trying winter camping next year.

The outdoor kitchen is awesome. The front passthrough storage is bigger than it appears if trying to judge by the side doors. It's closer to 2ft wide in the front.

- Chris

Your photos make me want to go out a deposit down on one. A few questions for you...

You mentioned it gives you the flexibility to camp in the winter. I assume that means you keep the tent ends closed to conserve heat and still have enough room to move around and sleep?

Looks like you’re towing with a Ford F150. How does it tow, which engine and do you have or need the towing package upgrade?

Thanks
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:50 PM   #10

You mentioned it gives you the flexibility to camp in the winter. I assume that means you keep the tent ends closed to conserve heat and still have enough room to move around and sleep?
Yes. I would dry camp and just for a couple of nights with the tent ends up. Friday was kinda cold here in Michigan but the fireplace heater kept the inside nice to where I didn't need a jacket. I am thinking of maybe just me and the wife or just me and the kids for a weekend during the winter where we could go sledding and sleep wherever. I could put a cot in there for sure next to the dinette and still have room. The sofa is a tri-fold 60x80 or whatever the tip out size is.
Looks like you’re towing with a Ford F150. How does it tow, which engine and do you have or need the towing package upgrade?
2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost. Rated for 8k I think. Maybe 7.5k. Either way it tows great. About the same as with my Jayco 19H. 1.4k payload. Stopping is a little slower with the Roo. It could have been the extreme cold because the Jayco took a bit longer to stop too. I need to fiddle with the brake controller. I can't say enough about the ecoboost. I love that engine. I wish I would have gotten the 3.5 but the 2.7 was what was in the truck I could afford and it was low mileage and a 2016 model. I won't need to tow more.

This is our camper for the next 15+ years. We don't have any desire for anything else. I bought our last one thinking we'd upgrade. No desire with this one. It's perfect.

I'd suggest you go and see it in person if you can. The pictures don't do it justice. It is such a nice camper. It is on the larger side of hybrids both weight and length. I will have to measure when fully open but it feels just as big as a 30ft trailer and has better sleeping areas.

I think Rockwood has a real winner here that is unlike any others from competition.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Hello All,

- Chris

Thank you for the detailed pictures and review in your other post. We just became aware of this model a couple of weeks ago. We have been set on the 233S for some time because of the 3 bunks but when we saw the pictures and the size inside this looks very promising. I still like the idea of the 3 bunks but from your pictures this does look very open and hardside sizeish, which is really what my wife would prefer we go to. We are just wanting to move up from pop up camping and these look really nice.

Nights Camped in 2021-?

2020-8, 2019-27, 2018-12, 2017-29, 2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploreco View Post
Thank you for the detailed pictures and review in your other post. We just became aware of this model a couple of weeks ago. We have been set on the 233S for some time because of the 3 bunks but when we saw the pictures and the size inside this looks very promising. I still like the idea of the 3 bunks but from your pictures this does look very open and hardside sizeish, which is really what my wife would prefer we go to. We are just wanting to move up from pop up camping and these look really nice.
exploreco,
We made sure to get the couch with the hideaway bed which is like a 3rd bunk. Even with the hideaway bed out you have like 2ft to walk past it. It's so spacious on the inside I could probably fit 2 cots in the main area if needed for extra beds.

I plan to use the camper in the fall and early spring like a hard side. I will turtle with tents up and just sleep on the hideaway bed. You really get the best of both with this unit.

I am a tent camper at heart. We could have gotten a hard side. We planned on doing so up until I saw this rig. Nothing beats opening up the tent ends and getting a good summer breeze in the camper and this rig had many of the features we wanted from a hard side in a hybrid.

Being able to have a very large interior area with a hideaway bed was a selling point for me so I could use it without putting tents down. Bigger water tanks than most hybrids. The outside kitchen also was pretty important to me. Not so much the stove but the fridge, cabinets, and countertop space. The one and only drawback is the counter space. If doing a big meal prep you can easily slide the dinette table over and use that in addition to what's there. Otherwise, we are always outside and don't utilize much counter space. It worked for us. And it has all the other things Rockwood does that makes a better product.

Anyways, my first trip looks to be either April 5th for 2 nights or over Mother's day weekend.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:23 AM   #13

Quote:
exploreco,
We made sure to get the couch with the hideaway bed which is like a 3rd bunk. Even with the hideaway bed out you have like 2ft to walk past it. It's so spacious on the inside I could probably fit 2 cots in the main area if needed for extra beds.

I plan to use the camper in the fall and early spring like a hard side. I will turtle with tents up and just sleep on the hideaway bed. You really get the best of both with this unit.

I am a tent camper at heart. We could have gotten a hard side. We planned on doing so up until I saw this rig. Nothing beats opening up the tent ends and getting a good summer breeze in the camper and this rig had many of the features we wanted from a hard side in a hybrid.

Being able to have a very large interior area with a hideaway bed was a selling point for me so I could use it without putting tents down. Bigger water tanks than most hybrids. The outside kitchen also was pretty important to me. Not so much the stove but the fridge, cabinets, and countertop space. The one and only drawback is the counter space. If doing a big meal prep you can easily slide the dinette table over and use that in addition to what's there. Otherwise, we are always outside and don't utilize much counter space. It worked for us. And it has all the other things Rockwood does that makes a better product.

Anyways, my first trip looks to be either April 5th for 2 nights or over Mother's day weekend.
We have been in pop ups for several years. Have gone up in size. To me it seemed natural to want the hybrid. I still enjoy the bunks my self but the amenities of a trailer. My wife was ready to go full hardside. We have looked at several. She wanted ones with bunks in the back. We did end up finding a floor plan we agreed upon and I do have a truck that can handle it but just wasn't sure I wanted to pull 32ft trailer. That is where all the hardsides we could agree upon were at in size. With the Hybrid I should still be able to keep it in my driveway when I bring it in for getting it ready were the hardside we would have to leave in the street and and it would have taken up the whole front. Don't think people would complain but if it was there for days they might, where I know they won't say anything if I had they Hybrid in the drive for a week or more. Plus the Hybrid is shorter for pulling. I guess you eventually get used to pulling and backing. Either way this will be an adjustment from my pop up.

As far as counter space goes, between the two model Hybrids, this one looks to have more space that the 233S at glance. Also looks to have more storage.

I think your personal photos though have given us a the best view of how large it feels over dealer photos. Plus the entertainment area is best for viewing. Not that we sit and watch alot while camping but it is nice on those rainy days like last fall when it rain all 4 days, lol.

Looking at both this weekend and hoping to do something this spring.

Thanks again!

Nights Camped in 2021-?

Old 02-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #14

Quote:
We have been in pop ups for several years. Have gone up in size. To me it seemed natural to want the hybrid. I still enjoy the bunks my self but the amenities of a trailer. My wife was ready to go full hardside. We have looked at several. She wanted ones with bunks in the back. We did end up finding a floor plan we agreed upon and I do have a truck that can handle it but just wasn't sure I wanted to pull 32ft trailer. That is where all the hardsides we could agree upon were at in size. With the Hybrid I should still be able to keep it in my driveway when I bring it in for getting it ready were the hardside we would have to leave in the street and and it would have taken up the whole front. Don't think people would complain but if it was there for days they might, where I know they won't say anything if I had they Hybrid in the drive for a week or more. Plus the Hybrid is shorter for pulling. I guess you eventually get used to pulling and backing. Either way this will be an adjustment from my pop up.

As far as counter space goes, between the two model Hybrids, this one looks to have more space that the 233S at glance. Also looks to have more storage.

I think your personal photos though have given us a the best view of how large it feels over dealer photos. Plus the entertainment area is best for viewing. Not that we sit and watch alot while camping but it is nice on those rainy days like last fall when it rain all 4 days, lol.

Looking at both this weekend and hoping to do something this spring.

Thanks again!
You might want to check out the Rockwood Mini-Lites/Flagstaff Micro-Lites:

Rockwood Mini Lite Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:33 PM   #15

Quote:
exploreco,

We had the opportunity to look at both the 233S and the 235S. After spending time in both we are going to go with the 235. We just really liked the room it offered and felt very comfortable in it. Both units are great and it is a hard choice because we do like the third bunk, but we don't feel we would actually use it for sleeping much, just storage. I think the 235 is going to be a popular model. Going to put the order in soon so it should be here by May. Don't know if that will be a 2020 model or still a 2019 model. I think I will also option for the 15k AC since it doesn't cost that much more. Probably over kill but would rather have it than not. We do eventually plan on taking some trips in southern states at some point.

Thanks again for the info!

Nights Camped in 2021-?

Old 02-21-2019, 08:35 PM   #16

Quote:
We had the opportunity to look at both the 233S and the 235S. After spending time in both we are going to go with the 235. We just really liked the room it offered and felt very comfortable in it. Both units are great and it is a hard choice because we do like the third bunk, but we don't feel we would actually use it for sleeping much, just storage. I think the 235 is going to be a popular model. Going to put the order in soon so it should be here by May. Don't know if that will be a 2020 model or still a 2019 model. I think I will also option for the 15k AC since it doesn't cost that much more. Probably over kill but would rather have it than not. We do eventually plan on taking some trips in southern states at some point.

Thanks again for the info!
Good to hear! I think you are right that this will be a very popular model. It's the layout and size. It feels much larger than it is and for us it can be a couple's camper or we can bring all the kids. It just has what we were looking for.
I am bringing my camper home from storage tomorrow evening after work. Going to continue packing and organizing stuff.

My shakedown outing with it will be April 5th on Lake Erie. 18 nights of camping already reserved.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Good to hear! I think you are right that this will be a very popular model. It's the layout and size. It feels much larger than it is and for us it can be a couple's camper or we can bring all the kids. It just has what we were looking for.
I am bringing my camper home from storage tomorrow evening after work. Going to continue packing and organizing stuff.

My shakedown outing with it will be April 5th on Lake Erie. 18 nights of camping already reserved.

Sounds exciting. Yeah, we are starting to reserve nights too. We had some reserved with the pop up but now it will be more fun. My wife is so excited to get a real fridge and ease of packing. I will admit, I will miss the pop up. We have done that for a lot of years, but just like we moved from tent camping to that, this is the next thing. We are really excited! And with just one kid I think it will be just right, even if he wants to bring a pal along.

Enjoy!!! Happy camping!

Nights Camped in 2021-?

Old 02-21-2019, 09:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Sounds exciting. Yeah, we are starting to reserve nights too. We had some reserved with the pop up but now it will be more fun. My wife is so excited to get a real fridge and ease of packing. I will admit, I will miss the pop up. We have done that for a lot of years, but just like we moved from tent camping to that, this is the next thing. We are really excited! And with just one kid I think it will be just right, even if he wants to bring a pal along.

Enjoy!!! Happy camping!
We just upgraded from a pop up we had for years that we loved to death to a brand new Roo 24ws hybrid that we ordered at the RV show in Minneapolis last year. Best thing we ever did, camping is SO much better, setup, teardown and packing are so much easier and we’ve already booked twice the amount of days camping this year as we did last year with more to come.

You’ll enjoy it!!!!
Past:
2001 Starcraft Spaceliner PU
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
We just upgraded from a pop up we had for years that we loved to death to a brand new Roo 24ws hybrid that we ordered at the RV show in Minneapolis last year. Best thing we ever did, camping is SO much better, setup, teardown and packing are so much easier and we’ve already booked twice the amount of days camping this year as we did last year with more to come.

You’ll enjoy it!!!!
Glad to hear you are loving your upgrade! We are also really looking forward to those things you mentioned as well. It has been fun to start to plan our trips

We are really looking forward to having a camping with an awing that we can sit under during the rain and one that can be put away easily.

Enjoy!

Nights Camped in 2021-?

Old 02-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #20

Quote:
We are really looking forward to having a camping with an awing that we can sit under during the rain and one that can be put away easily.

Enjoy!

You should have a great time when you get that hybrid camper. While we really had a great time with our highwall popup, when we got the 23WS, we were in heaven. the bigger fridge with a nice size freezer, the bathroom we can actually use, the awning we can actually use, the ability to just open the door and pack the stuff in it, comfortable inside when it rains...etc etc etc
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo