Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #1

New Roo19 Owners, Our first camping trip

Husband and I picked up or 2016 Roo19 last Monday in Utah and took it out for its maiden camping trip this weekend at Stagecoach State Park here in Colorado. Our posse included the two adults, two teenaged girls and two boxers. We immediately had buyer’s remorse and felt like we should have bought the 21SS, (more floor space for the dogs) however, since we custom ordered it (we opted for the 19 originally because we didn’t want to have to buy an F250, rather, we wanted an F150, with max tow, ecoboost, and blah blah blah(not a truck girl, but a really nice truck), and we didn’t want to have too much trailer and not enough truck here in the mountains), and it took 6 weeks for delivery, we decided that we will embrace the coziness of the 19 and in turn it will encourage us to be outside more, because, well that is the whole reason of camping.
We didn’t have any major problems with the unit, other than a hose that was patched by the PDI guy in our walkthrough. We were able to go get some more hose clamps and fix it, but my hubby will be replacing the hose soon. After letting the bunks down, and making up the beds, the whole camper was just lovely. I guess my only big complaint was the warped cutting board sink cover. That thing is USELESS. Because it is warped, it won’t stay on the sink.. And if you try to put things on it, they wobble. When I needed it out of the way, I placed it between the dinette cushion and dinette back. Does anyone know if I can get a better one custom made?
We got the Sapphire edition and I am in love with the power awning. After watching a few other campers set theirs up manually, I appreciated the power switch. The nighttime shades are great, but it took a couple of lessons for the girls to realize how to use them and to quit messing with the curtains.
On the second night, we decided to put down the dinette, and spread out the blankets to create the best ever dog bed in the world. Boy did my boxers LOVE that. We also got to try out the heated mattresses on the second night. We realized, you should turn them up to 6 to heat up the bed.. but don’t leave them on 6. We woke up in the middle of the night so HOT. I think 2 could be a good setting! Between that and our down comforter, we stayed really warm. I loved unzipping the canvas cover and watching the sunrise. The hybrid gave me the tent feel, without the tent sleeping. Mattress was very comfortable.
We got the stainless steel appliance package, and I just love the look of it. However, I am now regretting my choice of not getting the refrigerator wood panel. I think I can see where the front of the fridge might dent in the future with the SS. The blue light is extremely cool.
I am learning to be creative with my storage. There isn’t that much in the R00 19, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (For example, how do you best utilize that big closet by the fridge? There is lots of wasted space.) I will be ordering the PUGs tomorrow and will continue to research to find useful modifications and suggestions on camping.
I do love this camper. After two days of camping, I cannot wait until we can take it out again. Unfortunately, that won’t be until end of August due to many commitments that have already been made. I am searching around now, and trying to make reservations for September, and hopefully October. It will be snowing here by mid-October, so I am hoping we can extend our camping season by a month and head west to Moab.
Thanks for taking time to read this. This is our very first camper, and I really hope we can use it much more next year.

(Please don't mind the no signature look.. still need to figure out how to create and add a picture)
photogirltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Yep, the 19 will get real crowded with 4 humans and 2 largish dogs.
As they say, "buy your second trailer FIRST!"
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:02 PM   #3

Don't understand your reluctance to pull a 21ss with an f150. I would think you could pull a 21 or 23 with it. I tow a 23ikss with a Ram 1500 and never feel on the edge. Well within numerical limits. That being said the 19 is a beautiful trailer. It should serve you well.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #4

New Roo19 Owners, Our first camping trip

I pull a 23ss with my 2012 f150 ecoboost easily. I've only got around 1,750 in payload, so I'm a bit careful on what I place in the bed to be safe, but aside from that, it tows with ease.

That said, I ended up going against the 233s and ikss as the tongue weight was slightly less with the 23ss among other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #5

As I mentioned in another thread I sometimes regret not going to the 23 footers instead of 21. Similar to you I was sort of exercising extreme caution with my F150. At the end of the day you should embrace your choice though. You saved a decent amount of coin I would assume and there are times that smaller size will be an advantage. The great thing about a hybrid is the beds really do make for practical living area. I mean we use our front bunk as a place to watch tv or lounge and read.

If you really find yourself wishing after a year or two you had more space you can consider switching and now you will know exactly what you want. You might just find that you grow pretty fond of what you have and it gets the job done quite nicely. Backing up the shorter units is pretty great and I camp at a lot of back-in campsites.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #6

Just to put this in context.. we have been looking at trailers for a few years now. We had decided on the Roo 19 when we had our Acura MDX. We live in the mountains of Colorado, so looking at the tow rating and all that we decided against getting a trailer at that time until we could get a decent tow vehicle. Last year, we looked at pop ups.. something that our jeep might tow..and again.. decide against getting a trailer, until we could get a decent tow vehicle. Finally this year we decided to bite the bullet.. and bought our F150. That is story all its own, but at the same time, we were looking at trailers. We started out looking at a 30 foot trailer, and realized that we needed a bigger truck, but didn't want the F250.. so we started looking at smaller trailers. After so many spreadsheets, and calculating tongue weights, and GVWRs and payloads, and on and on.., not to mention, this is our very FIRST trailer, and we didn't want to get in over our heads, we decided to go back and order the Roo19. Yes, we know we could have gotten a bigger trailer, but towing in the mountains of Colorado, up and down passes, with four adults and three dogs and enough gear for us all, we decided to go safe with a smaller trailer. While we now would probably would have loved the slide.. I still love this Roo19. In a few years, after the girls are out of the house.. we will upgrade to something better suited for us.. by then we should know if we love camping or not!

So far... I am very excited! Can't wait for the next outing! (Looking at canoes now.)
photogirltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #7

Better safe than sorry. I applaud your efforts personally!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #8

I tell you this...getting the right canoe can be more satisfying than getting the right camper! Have fun shopping for that! I am building a fleet in my garage, clearly believing naval superiority is crucial to my camping survival.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #9

Your canoes will be no match for my torpedoes
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
rbq

Looking at camping in October in Utah plan on the possibility of snow & cooler weather or it can be nice. Buy a 4' roll of reflectix insulation and cut it so they fit the zip up windows on the bunk ends. On hot sunny days put them on the sunny side to keep it cooler and when it's cold put it in all the zip up windows on the bunk ends to keep it warmer. Surprising what a difference it makes. You'll have to pull them out before closing the bunk ends, but they don't take up much space.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #11

Congrats on your new Roo 19. See post #4 here http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...9-a-75401.html for some mods I did to ours.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #12

I bought some Sterilite stackable drawers from Walmart that fit perfectly in the hanging closet beside the refrigerator. They were $9.97 per set of 3, used 5 total and did remove the closet rod. Fits so good that the drawers are shaped in such a way that they will not slide all the way out and fall out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150628_095932.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	82814  
msmmce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #13

Hi from a fellow Roo and boxer owner. We have 3 (dogs, not Roos). We did pick the 21SS specifically because of the floor space. Tripping over 3 antsy dogs is not my idea of a relaxing vacation.

Our dogs also love the dinette/dog bed. One gets the couch and the other two have plenty of room stretching out. Although first thing in the morning we end up with 3 dogs in bed with us anyway.

I think you would have been fine pulling the 21SS. We pull with a Durango, but we are in the flat Midwest, not the mountains. We will upgrade our TV before venturing out west, hopefully next year. Don't second guess, chances are you will upgrade in the next 5-10 years anyway.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #14

We are new owners of a 2016 Roo 183. I don't want to potentially add to your buyer's remorse, but we love the 3rd bed. That's why we chose it over the 19. Feels a lot bigger. We couldn't go any larger because our tow vehicle is an Explorer. We do miss the large couch in the 19 though.

We had the same problem with the sink cover/cutting board. But, it flattened out after one day in the hot sun. Fits nice now.
ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:17 PM   #15

My husband and I were looking at pop-ups last year and saw a used Roo19 on the lot. We bought it on the spot and have never looked back. Typically, it is just the two of us so the size is not a problem for us. Other than the world's smallest shower we could not be happier!
FloridaCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #16

We bought one of these Sink Mate cutting boards for our Roo 19 and never really used the thing that came with it.

http://www.adventurerv.net/sink-mate...source=Froogle

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #17

I just wanted to say that we discovered Utah less than a year ago and are very much looking forward to exploring that area. I spent a week along Utah 12 and 24 and in Moab in January (Zion, Bryce, Escalante, Burr Trail Road, Capital Reef, Goblin State Park, Temple Mountain Road and near Moab I drove Hurray Pass, some back roads in Arches and Islands in the Sky - and I only touched the surface! Then in May I went through Moab and on down through Monticello, Moki Dugway, camped at Muley Point and on through Monument Valley. All awesome. But didn't have a trailer yet. (Permanent lodging in January. Camped out of the back of my truck in May.) Really looking forward to going back once we have (fingers crossed) our Roo. (We're from the Denver area.)
drhroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, roo