Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2021, 05:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
If your new Shamrock is anything like my 2014 Shamrock... look for lots of hidden storage spaces blocked off by thin boards. Take out the boards and gain another 50% storage...

Like your popup, make sure you season the tent ends to prevent leaking thru the thread holes.

I will also reference you to this thread...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ms-169199.html
I'm still going through the documentation on our new roo, but I have a packet that suggests I use Iosso products to clean and/or refurbish my "WRMR treated cotton fabrics." It explains the preconditioning steps as usual, but to clean using soft bristle and water first, followed by the Iosso mold and mildew remover. Then use the Iosso Water Repellant.

I see you've got your favorite. Have you ever tried this brand? The concentrated powder makes it an attractive option for storage.

https://iosso.com/clean/products/mol...stain-remover/

I've slept in 45 states and four provinces, but I have to start a new map for my camper!
EcoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:07 PM   #22

Quote:
I see you've got your favorite.
I have used several brands... usually 303 Fabric Guard, but most recently Brite Star... never heard of Losso... 303 brand products generally have a good reputation... I use the 303 UV Protectant on the vinyl tent ends and all of the rubber gasket material and plastic psrts on the outside of the trailer.
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbrady View Post
... Question about the PUGS mentioned above... We use them on our current PUP and they work great! Are they really necessary for the hybrids? ...
Having owned a 12' popup, a 21' hybrid, and PUGS, I'd say PUGS are still helpful. It reduces radiant heat into the bed when you're trying to sleep and also reduces the light intrusion. We had only a 13.5K BTU AC in the hybrid. It struggled some times in the SE, where we live. PUGS helped. A 15K BTU AC would have been better.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:40 AM   #24

We spent this past weekend “seasoning” the tent ends, while most of the leaks have subsided we’re still get some water on the bottom corners that attach to the base of the camper itself. We’ve so far gone through 3 cycles of wetting and let dry, plan to do it again today and see if it’s sealed up at the bottom yet or not.

In the event that they are still leaking at these spots, has any applied a seam sealer or have suggestion on which to use?

tcbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #25

Quote:
We spent this past weekend “seasoning” the tent ends, while most of the leaks have subsided we’re still get some water on the bottom corners that attach to the base of the camper itself. We’ve so far gone through 3 cycles of wetting and let dry, plan to do it again today and see if it’s sealed up at the bottom yet or not.

In the event that they are still leaking at these spots, has any applied a seam sealer or have suggestion on which to use?
Is the canvas leaking at a seam, or at the joint with the base? If you detach a section from the base, I think you'll find sealant of some kind attaching it. Just use more. I'd use the silicone stuff you find in a plastic squeeze tube at a building store.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Is the canvas leaking at a seam, or at the joint with the base? If you detach a section from the base, I think you'll find sealant of some kind attaching it. Just use more. I'd use the silicone stuff you find in a plastic squeeze tube at a building store.

It appears to be leaking through a threaded section of just vinyl, on the lower side of the bunk where it spans from the door frame to the actual camper frame.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #27

Quote:
It appears to be leaking through a threaded section of just vinyl, on the lower side of the bunk where it spans from the door frame to the actual camper frame.
My new one is leaking at the exact same spot after / during preconditioning. the material pulls very taut there and it definately needs some type of flexible caulking.

I've slept in 45 states and four provinces, but I have to start a new map for my camper!
EcoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:15 AM   #28
Site Team

Go ahead and use some seam sealer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Go ahead and use some seam sealer.
Any suggestions on a brand?

Old 03-22-2021, 10:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoBuckeye View Post
My new one is leaking at the exact same spot after / during preconditioning. the material pulls very taut there and it definately needs some type of flexible caulking.
YES! Once dropped down you can see how taut the vinyl gets (especially from inside when looking down on it.)

Old 03-23-2021, 02:13 PM   #31
Retired Panpsychist

I've used this stuff for a vinyl canopy, a nylon expedition tent and a motorcycle rain suit. However, we were lucky that our vinyl bunk ends never leaked so we've never used the stuff on our Roo. It's permanently packed on board, though!

GEAR AID Seam Sealant
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 15.09.37.png
Views:	60
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	250306  

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:17 AM   #32

Since my last post we've gotten the chance to get out for two trips and really love the camper! We're really enjoying the ease of set up/tear down compared to our previous Flagstaff pop up, what a difference!

Our first trip, weather was great, sunny and warm, got used to all the features and played around with everything. Second trip weather was great until the morning we were leaving, woke up to finding we have several leaks on the bunkends at a few threaded seams that just happened to be where the water was draining down the bunkends. (Even though we went through the "seasoning" process several times prior to camping, I guess we didn't do it right or we just have some more spots that need sealed up with a seam sealer.) We're hoping the issue was just that this rain was heavy enough that it got the threads better than we did when seasoning it and that those threads will swell up and hopefully result in no more leaks, I would really dislike having to seal up more sections...

Tags
shamrock