Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2021, 07:35 AM   #1

New Shamrock Owner

Hello everyone!

We've finally found our new camper and finalized the deal this week on our new hybrid. We'll be picking up a new 2021.5 Shamrock 21SS next week! Unfortunately that means we'll be in the process of selling our 2014 Flagstaff M.A.C. 228 popup that's served us well for the past few years. We're sad to see the popup go as it's been a solid camper but couldn't be more excited about the new features, space and lack of excessive work to setup/tear down.

I'd love to know any tips/tricks and things to look out for with the hybrids as this will be a new adventure for us, but one we've been looking forward for many years!

tcbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:56 AM   #2

Congrats on your new toy! We made the step up last year. The amenities and ease of setup are great!

Read through the Roo/Shamrock sub forum. Lots of great info in there.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #3

Welcome!!! Have a look through this area in the forum for lots of tips, tricks and how to’s. Know that the Shamrock and Roo models are identical save for colors, fabrics and finishes so a like model number of a Roo is an identical model to a Shamrock.

We made the move a few years ago as well, as hard as it was to sell the popup, we are unbelievably happy with our hybrid. The biggest two tips I got from here are:

1. Definitely do a thorough, and I mean VERY thorough walk through PDI, video if you have to, over every system in the unit and do not pay or take delivery until everything is fixed or shown to you. We only had a few wiggles with ours but one was a tear in the cushion seam which we saw right away and they dismissed saying yeah, we’ll order one and send it to you. I insisted they take one from another unit, which they finally did, but begrudgingly. I do not regret it one bit.

2. When it comes time to pack up the bunk ends, close all hatches, doors, windows, etc. and turn your vent fans on max, then fold up the ends. The vacuum sucks in the fabric and makes folding them up super fast and easy to do because you don’t need to worry about fabric getting stuck in the door seal.

Those are two I know of. As an additional half point, I’d say keep an even frustration level when learning the camper as you get used it because there will be bumps, there will be things you’ll need to learn and things will go wrong. Just keep an open mind: fix it and move on. Now that we are starting our 4th season with the unit nothing really “shakes” us and we just deal with the things as part of the adventure. It’s a house on wheels, there will be minor things you’ll need to deal with from time to time.

Things like that make the experience that much better.

Enjoy!!!!
Past:
2001 Starcraft Spaceliner PU
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #4

Congrats and enjoy your 2021.5 Shamrock 21SS.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:21 PM   #5

If your new Shamrock is anything like my 2014 Shamrock... look for lots of hidden storage spaces blocked off by thin boards. Take out the boards and gain another 50% storage...

Like your popup, make sure you season the tent ends to prevent leaking thru the thread holes.

I will also reference you to this thread...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ms-169199.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:01 AM   #6

Congratulations on your new purchase, I am sure you will enjoy it as much as we do ours. I am sure you will get many useful sugestions about what to check during your walk through. From experience here are two of mine?
1. Check the 110 volt wall electrical outlets, they are not the best and two of mine were broken. If you can I would suggest taking a three pronged plug and trying each outlet.
2. There are two square tubes, one inside the other, that connect the drive pinion to the idler pinion on the slide out. You can see them just to the top left of the front tire running along the frame, look at them closely to make sure the are no welds on either piece, if there is get them replaced. My dealer informed me that he had seen several made with the weld that had broken. I was unable to find the correct size anywhere because they are a very odd size, however, the frame being under warranty I got them replaced by the factory.

2017 Flagstaff Shamrock 21ss pulled by a 2007 Ford F150 XLT 4X4
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:27 PM   #7
Retired Panpsychist

I highly recommend Pop-Up Gizmos for the bunk ends. They keep the bunks cooler in the summer and warmer in the spring/fall. They also keep your bunk roofs clean and dry. For more info, search for "PUGS".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Super_High_Wind_PUG_01.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	249161  

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I highly recommend Pop-Up Gizmos for the bunk ends. They keep the bunks cooler in the summer and warmer in the spring/fall. They also keep your bunk roofs clean and dry. For more info, search for "PUGS".
And Reflectix in the tent windows.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:04 AM   #9

Thanks everyone - tomorrow's pick up day! We have about a 4 1/2 hour drive one way for pick up so should give me plenty of time to get used to the size upgrade from our pop up, this will be quite the adjustment!

Question about the PUGS mentioned above... We use them on our current PUP and they work great! Are they really necessary for the hybrids? Was hoping the addition of the hardwalls would help insulate enough to get rid of them, sounds like that's not the case? Our Shamrock does have the 15k BTU upgraded A/C unit, so was hoping that would help as well. If not, PUGS it will be!

Old 03-09-2021, 07:18 AM   #10

Quote:
We use them on our current PUP and they work great! Are they really necessary for the hybrids? Was hoping the addition of the hardwalls would help insulate enough to get rid of them, sounds like that's not the case?
Depends on how shady your site and how hot you like it in the camper. The Pugs will always help shade the pop-outs and reduce the temps in the camper and the bunks. Personally I do not camp July or August and try to find some shady spots when I do camp, so I do not use them.

The AC in the camper works so much better if you use a box fan to circulate the air inside.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 03-09-2021, 07:58 AM   #11

One nice thing about the Roo over the PUP is you can leave the PUGs attached to the Roo. Just need to connect the shock cords under the bunk.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
One nice thing about the Roo over the PUP is you can leave the PUGs attached to the Roo. Just need to connect the shock cords under the bunk.

Good to know, thanks! We usually do camping early spring till fall, so we might need these I guess for summer camping here in Central PA.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:48 AM   #13

X2. Have never used them and the AC has worked well keeping the trailer very comfortable. We have the Room 23SS that is ten years old. Enjoy and welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Depends on how shady your site and how hot you like it in the camper. The Pugs will always help shade the pop-outs and reduce the temps in the camper and the bunks. Personally I do not camp July or August and try to find some shady spots when I do camp, so I do not use them.

The AC in the camper works so much better if you use a box fan to circulate the air inside.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbrady View Post
Good to know, thanks! We usually do camping early spring till fall, so we might need these I guess for summer camping here in Central PA.
We are in Ohio, similar weather. While you don't need them, is sure is nice in August. It also helps in cooler weather. We usually don't need to run the heater, just use the heated mattresses.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #15

i use the PUGs on my Shamrock - some for heat control but also to keep the tent ends cleaner ( have not figured out a good way to wash the tent ends). I keep them installed all season. maybe we will see you out and about in PA - we have a several reservations for PA state parks this year, most near the MD/PA state line.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
i use the PUGs on my Shamrock - some for heat control but also to keep the tent ends cleaner ( have not figured out a good way to wash the tent ends). I keep them installed all season. maybe we will see you out and about in PA - we have a several reservations for PA state parks this year, most near the MD/PA state line.
Good to know! I think we'll invest in them, since we know how well they worked on our Flagstaff pop up.

It's a very good possibility! We're in Central PA, but go all over the state and do a ton of long weekend camping and usually stick to the state parks. Any recommendations down in southern PA?

Old 03-14-2021, 07:16 AM   #17

Do you have links on how to do the seasoning properly? We bought our pop up second hand and never did this…

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
If your new Shamrock is anything like my 2014 Shamrock... look for lots of hidden storage spaces blocked off by thin boards. Take out the boards and gain another 50% storage...

Like your popup, make sure you season the tent ends to prevent leaking thru the thread holes.

I will also reference you to this thread...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ms-169199.html
Old 03-14-2021, 09:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Do you have links on how to do the seasoning properly?
basically seasoning means that in a controlled environment like your driveway, you wet the sewn seams and the thread holes which might leak, using a hose or sprayer and allow them to swell with the water to fill the needle hole gap so that leakage will not occur... do this on a warm sunny day... after removing mattress from bunk end, wet, allow to dry, repeat... then soak the tent end while watching for any leak from the inside

many people just allow this to happen on a warm rainy day with the bunk ends popped open, where the sun will dry it...

some tent ends are worse then others... your "bunk end" is vinyl with cloth side windows... the side windows ( if they are like mine) need to be waterproofed, otherwise I find that if bed clothes are in contact with the ends in an over night rain, water will soak thru the cotton canvas... water-repellant coatings certainly help... I do mine 2 X a year... JUST the side canvas

hope this helps

you can google seasoning a tent for more info...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 03-14-2021, 11:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbrady View Post
Thanks everyone - tomorrow's pick up day! We have about a 4 1/2 hour drive one way for pick up so should give me plenty of time to get used to the size upgrade from our pop up, this will be quite the adjustment!

Question about the PUGS mentioned above... We use them on our current PUP and they work great! Are they really necessary for the hybrids? Was hoping the addition of the hardwalls would help insulate enough to get rid of them, sounds like that's not the case? Our Shamrock does have the 15k BTU upgraded A/C unit, so was hoping that would help as well. If not, PUGS it will be!
We found the PUGS to help alot. We didn't have them on the first few trips and found that a couple sites we were at that didn't have great shade all day long in July the AC struggled to keep the camper cool and we have the 15k AC. Once we got the PUGS on it is much better and found that we keep the bunk end curtains pulled and that helps alot. Plus as some others have mentioned some perks are cleaner canvas and for those that done like it a bit darker, they help with that too.

Nights Camped in 2021-?

2020-8, 2019-27, 2018-12, 2017-29, 2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
i use the PUGs on my Shamrock - some for heat control but also to keep the tent ends cleaner....
X2! We camp in the shade whenever possible but that means two things:
Tree sap and bird crap!

When it comes time to sell this one or trade it in years down the road, having your bunk canvas still look like new is worth a lot!

Tags
shamrock