Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
Boondocking Only

New Shamrock/pics

Hello again, & great forum! We picked up our new 2014 Forest River Shamrock/Roo 21SSL last week. Traded off a Carson Titan/Funrunner. I am excited to drag her up the mountain. It is incredible how much room the slide out adds. The ground clearance in great with the off road tires. My only question is.....what size generator do I need to power the heated mattress pad?

ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbck View Post
My only question is.....what size generator do I need to power the heated mattress pad?
they are heated mattresses, not a pad.
and unless you're boondocking, you aren't going to be appreciated running the generator at night, just to heat the mattresses. probably be violating campground rules.
but if you're boondocking, then if you want to run the generator all night, that's your choice. i think a 1000w generator would be enough to power them.

personally, we don't use our heated mattresses unless we have electric hookups.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
Boondocking Only

Thx. I was looking at a whisper quiet 2000 Honda. In all our yrs camping we have only stayed at a campground twice ( hated it lol). We always boondock in the Big Horn Mts/Rocky Mts/Teton Mts. No neighbours for miles around. It always snows on us at least two times a year. I thought the heated mattress would be nice if we had a quit genny.
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #4

You will love it. I don't have a generator but you may not be able to use the microwave or air conditioning with it .

2006 roo 23b
99 Silverado xtra cab with 4.8 and tow package

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
Site Team

i have a Honda 2000 and it will easily power the heated mattresses, which are wonderful in colder weather.
just remember that they take time to warm up and work better once you are in bed. in fact, most of the time you'll end up turning down the temp.

you can get a new Honda 2000 for around $900 with free shipping, from a number of dealers, such as Wise Sales and Motorsports of Ukiah.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #6

if you want to have a generator large enough to run the mattress and in warmer weather be able to run the a/c and the microwave when you like, I would consider stepping up to the 3000 Honda, or you could get 2 2000's and parallel them. They are great generators.
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #7

If I remember correctly the mattresses only pull 150W... Not much is needed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock