Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2018, 04:26 PM   #21

do it yourself... there's probably several things in that pack that either you'll never need, or you want even remember you have when you ever do.

also, hold off on buying all the accessories, many of which are items you'll find that you spent money on without knowing if you'll ever even need them.... yes, the pooper tube is a given, but any tube will suffice - don't get caught up in what's 'best', they all do the job.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #22

I find what I want the comparison shop with Amazon, Walmart, and EBay. Many rv accessory store sell on EBay.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:05 AM   #23

I'd skip the starter kit for the reasons mentioned. I would recommend that you don't go cheap on the sewer hose.
2 in a Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:33 AM   #24

How about a list of high-quality starter accessories from your experience?

I am thinking about this list too as we pick up our trailer in early June and are having it towed to a seasonal site that is quite remote and it will not be easy to get to Walmart (110 miles away) to pick up what we need. Still trying to figure out what is on that list and what would be a waste of money. Poop tube is a no-brainer so what do you recommend?
kmlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmlisle View Post
How about a list of high-quality starter accessories from your experience?

Poop tube is a no-brainer so what do you recommend?
We use the Rhino flex sewer hose. No issues, the connections are easy to manage. This site has reviews.

Starter accessories are tough because we all have different goals in camping. Beyond routine things like dishes and TP, think about what you want to do when you are there.

We charcoal grill out a lot, so I take those accessories. I fish and kayak where there's water, so a filet knife, bait knife, sun screen, sunglasses, life jacket and other accessories go.

Walk your home and look everywhere and ask yourself what do you need in your trailer.
2 in a Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #26
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:

I am thinking about this list too as we pick up our trailer in early June and are having it towed to a seasonal site that is quite remote and it will not be easy to get to Walmart (110 miles away) to pick up what we need.
If you can it might be a good idea to give it a couple of run throughs at local campgrounds before you take it out to a remote site so you can make sure there are no problems that will require a return to the dealership for warranty repairs.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #27

Thanks,
I have been thinking about that. We are using it as a cottage and have no tow vehicle of our own. But it is actually a small town with ACE hardware, RV techs and a large campground where we know lots of handy people. This is a new site that will hold a larger trailer and I don't know how level it will be. We have camped there at another site for many years before becoming seasonals.
I am planning a 2 day pick up near Duluth so we can do a thorough wlk through and then go shopping for necessities and then have it towed up the next day. Hopefully no major problems but I have been reading the forum!
As for fun gear, we kayak and canoe and hike up there every summer so we know what to take with. I also have started doing a citizen science project on dragonflies. So will be taking nets, id books, binoculars and camera with a long lens with me. can't wait for Spring!
kmlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
buy from Walmart and Amazon, WAY cheaper and you get to choose what you want.
X2 !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #29

Quote:
So will be taking nets, id books, binoculars and camera with a long lens with me. can't wait for Spring!
I'm a camera guy (was a photojournalist in my previous life) and was selling camera equipment for the last 16 years until I retired two months ago.

Before I left I bought a new Olympus E-M10 MIII with a 75-300mm lens (150-600mm equiv.).

Tired of carrying around the big beast DSLR's... (have 5 of them).

I really needed a new camera like I need a couple more holes in my head...

Old 04-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #30
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
We understand the excitement:

The below is a copy and paste of useful information, and I usually recommend it to those just starting out. Some of it, you may already know, or may not be applicable to your particular RV. You will be able to filter out what pertains to your situation or not. I would suggest you read the electric threads and energy management first, and then the converter thread. This will help explain your different electrical systems of your RV, and how they operate...as well as what the converter does. The very first link will explain what operates off what system.

You can just peruse at your leisure as you await delivery your RV:

Basic electric:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Electric

Your very important converter:

Converter or Inverter (they are different)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Installing a dedicated 30 amp RV outlet at home (Make sure you understand it's 120 volts ONLY):

How to wire a RV 30 amp outlet

12 volt DC:

12 Volt DC Circuit Breaker with Manual Reset

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Suburban water heater (if applicable to your RV):

Suburban's electric switch and much more

Suburban Water Heater Video Guides

Water Heater bypass/crossover valves:

NO (OR LUKEWARM) HOT WATER -Please read first

And the newest additions to help understand what constitutes a true full cylinder in refilling vs exchanging propane cylinders... as well as how the automatic propane changeover regulator works:

Propane Cylinders (Refilling vs Exchanging)

Propane automatic changeover regulator

Inverters and residential refrigerators in RV's:

http://rveducation101.com/articles/rvinverters.pdf

Hope it helps
Bobby
wmtire, that's very useful info for Newbies. I suggest that your post be a Sticky in the Tips and Tricks sub-forum.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #31

Get Zero-G RV water hose. Costs more but very light and flexible.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:49 PM   #32

I wish I had seen this post prior to paying the $240..... Oh well, I will know where to look and who to ask in the future.
BrettN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
wmtire, that's very useful info for Newbies. I suggest that your post be a Sticky in the Tips and Tricks sub-forum.
OK, as this has also been suggested by some other members, we did go ahead and make it as a sticky. Hope it does help new RV'ers.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-157524.html

Thanks

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #34

I gotta say that, while the advice given on the forums is typically pretty good when averaged out, we've missed the mark on this one as a group. That's actually a really good deal on that starter kit it appears. The only thing I see in that starter kit that I might not use is the master blaster wand. Everything else is essential and appears to be good stuff. That sewer hose is nice. I can say from experience that you do NOT want the cheapest sewer hose you can get your hands on. They develop in holes and tears really easily- something that you don't want when you pull the black tank handle. I just priced the six biggest items in that $139.99 kit from Amazon and I'm already at $150.91.

Here's the breakdown:
Dominator Sewer Hose $37.00
Valterra Regulator $13.52
Valterra Wheel chocks X4 $31.28
Valterra Leveling Blocks (no bag) $40.53
Cheap Drinking Water Hose (Camco-the one in the kit is actually better, it appears) $9.97
90 degree sewer hose elbow $18.61

So, $10 less and you get the gloves, TP, dump gloves, adapter, tank wand, tank wand hose and tank tabs for free. Looks like a great deal to me.

Edit: Just noticed that the pic only shows 2 wheel chocks. You need 4. So maybe not quite as good(I'd ask how many were included), but still a better deal than you can get all that for on Amazon.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:26 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettN View Post
I wish I had seen this post prior to paying the $240..... Oh well, I will know where to look and who to ask in the future.

Sorry to hear that,,, too late to return it I suppose !!!
Greddy RV Dealers !!!
To me it like a new car dealer telling you that you must buy a spare tire !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #36

I almost gave my sewer wand away when I got my 5'ver as it has the built-in tank flush, but I'm glad I didn't.

When I really want to get that black tank clean, the wand is still the only way to do it justice!

Old 04-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettN View Post
Maybe, but you probably have better stuff.

Tags