Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #21
camping newbies

Unfortunately we don't have the factory tow package - we have standard 4 plug and everyone has told us that we need a full tow package installed.
vanceandsheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceandsheri View Post
Unfortunately we don't have the factory tow package - we have standard 4 plug and everyone has told us that we need a full tow package installed.
Our Expedition is a 2008 EL. They came with a standard tow package rated for 6000lbs, and an optional heavy duty package rated at 9200lbs (or something close to that). If you have the flat 4-pin connector by the hitch, you have the 6000lb std package. If it is the round connector, it is the heavy duty package. Ours has the 6000lb package.

I don't know that it can be easily upgraded from one to the other. I was talking to a mechanic this week and it included heavier springs, transmission fluid cooler, different program for the computer (to adjust shifting patterns), etc. Unfortunately not a buy and bold on solution.

Hope this helps.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #23
camping newbies

'tis the flat 4 pin... want to upgrade at some point.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #24
Site Team

did it come with a type III/IV hitch and trans cooler with the basic tow package, at least?
i'm sure the rear end ratio is lower on the HD package too.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:48 PM   #25
Site Team

Practice towing in an area that you are familiar with and don't drive faster than you are comfortable with. After removing the anti-sway I keep only one hand on the steering wheel when backing slowly and using GOAL which means Get Out and Look.

I also took my maiden voyage at a local campground. It was a nice ice breaker for sure. Now this campground is one of my regular spots when I need a quick get-away.

I also suggest keeping things simple until you determine your camping style. I have a short trip planned and it will be dry camping which is something I haven't done in a couple of years. I have simplified my menu a couple of time so I can spend more time relaxing on the beach.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
did it come with a type III/IV hitch and trans cooler with the basic tow package, at least?
i'm sure the rear end ratio is lower on the HD package too.
The 2008 model year Std 6000lb tow package does come with a Class III/IV hitch. The rear end for both the Std and HD packages is 3.73 for the longer EL Expeditions. It also looks like both the Std and HD packages come with a trans fluid cooler, but the HD must be beefier (11 channels in the HD vs. 7 channels in the Std).

All of this info was extracted from here: http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...TTgdeSep08.pdf

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #27

When getting ready to hook up to TV, while hooking up to TV, when unhooking from TV, don't be afraid to talk to yourself. I do verbal checklist as I go around getting ready. I have had a couple close calls with forgetting to do things. I once looped safety chains on hitch bar of truck (thought it was a good place to lay them for a minute) and forgot to move them as I pulled away. Wife spotted that and yelled for me to not move. I also forgot to raise the stab jacks one time when I was in a hurry to hook up. Started to crank on the front lift jack then realized what I was doing.

Now I walk around a couple times to confirm I've got every thing ready. I also do the "magic act" where I run my hand between the TT and TV to prove no wires attached :-).

Do not forget, first thing to do before unhooking anything is to chock the tires. Last thing to do when hooked up, remove the chocks.

2013 F150 v8 4x4 Supercab
2014 Surveyor 192T
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #28

One thing about going to a parking lot and practicing for an extended time is keep an eye on the fluid temps, the power steering will gets lots of work and may not get airflow depending on your fan setup.
08 Outback 21RS
Talonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
<Snip>.

I don't know that it can be easily upgraded from one to the other. I was talking to a mechanic this week and it included heavier springs, transmission fluid cooler, different program for the computer (to adjust shifting patterns), etc. Unfortunately not a buy and bold on solution.

Hope this helps.
I don't think it can We have the HD tow package on our F150 and it includes a LOT of stuff (including a direct connect for electric brakes on the 5er). HD packages usually include beefed up cooling system, oil & transmission fluid coolers, beefy springs & towing apps (assuming you have Ford Sync)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #30
camping newbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
The 2008 model year Std 6000lb tow package does come with a Class III/IV hitch. The rear end for both the Std and HD packages is 3.73 for the longer EL Expeditions. It also looks like both the Std and HD packages come with a trans fluid cooler, but the HD must be beefier (11 channels in the HD vs. 7 channels in the Std).

All of this info was extracted from here: http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...TTgdeSep08.pdf
beat me to the punch - been running around getting some stuff done today and just now checking in. The idea to keep an eye on the coolant from another poster and the temps in general - great idea as well.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #31
Broken Toe

Oh, one more thing. Always idle away from your trailer after you unhitch. I have see a couple of guys forget to unhook the chains and give their trailers a nasty tug as they pulled away too quickly.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, trailer, travel, travel trailer