Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2020, 12:34 AM   #1

Newer Roo Bunk Features

I have a 2011 Rockwood Roo 21SS, which my family loves but after looking at the features of the newer year model 21SS, I知 jealous of the way the canvas on the bunks is sealed to the bunk itself instead of having to wrap around the bottom. The older style configuration involves additional setup and breakdown and provides areas for leaks and drafts. I知 looking for a way to convert my bunk canvas to a permanently affixed style like the newer models. Would anybody with this newer style bunk be able to take photos of the inside and outside of where the canvas meets the bunk so I can get a better idea of how it is attached? I tried finding one locally at a dealer, but have not had luck. Closest I have found is over 100 miles away in Michigan. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjefferson2001 View Post
I have a 2011 Rockwood Roo 21SS, which my family loves but after looking at the features of the newer year model 21SS, I知 jealous of the way the canvas on the bunks is sealed to the bunk itself instead of having to wrap around the bottom. The older style configuration involves additional setup and breakdown and provides areas for leaks and drafts. I知 looking for a way to convert my bunk canvas to a permanently affixed style like the newer models. Would anybody with this newer style bunk be able to take photos of the inside and outside of where the canvas meets the bunk so I can get a better idea of how it is attached? I tried finding one locally at a dealer, but have not had luck. Closest I have found is over 100 miles away in Michigan. Thanks in advance!
Have you checked at House of Camping, in Bridgeview? They are a big Roo dealer and that's where we got our Roo 15 years ago.
Great family owned dealership.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:45 PM   #3

Thanks, I might look into them.

I actually found a thread that has some decent pics of what I need. Looks like the canvas is just tucked into a track that is held down by a handful of screws.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ix-111995.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Have you checked at House of Camping, in Bridgeview? They are a big Roo dealer and that's where we got our Roo 15 years ago.
Great family owned dealership.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #4

that is it pretty much. There is silicone placed in the track before the tenting is inserted.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:03 AM   #5

I second the recommendation of House of Camping, in Bridgeview. It's been a while. I bought a camper from them in 2010. I was very please with them.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:13 AM   #6

I have had campers with both styles of bunks and too be honest, I wouldn't spend the time/effort to "upgrade" to the new style.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
I have had campers with both styles of bunks and too be honest, I wouldn't spend the time/effort to "upgrade" to the new style.

May I ask why you say that? Just seems like considerably less setup when arriving at camp, less break down when closing up camp, and less unsealed surface to allow water and/or wind into the bunk.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjefferson2001 View Post
May I ask why you say that? Just seems like considerably less setup when arriving at camp, less break down when closing up camp, and less unsealed surface to allow water and/or wind into the bunk.
Set up is a bit quicker, but only a few minutes. The newer style is "more sealed", but it is still a tent and I can't see sealing up the older style would make much difference. We never had an issue with rain or wind due to the older style and from an insulation standpoint I doubt you would notice any difference.
If it were a quick and easy mod that was $50 - 100, I might consider it, but I can't imagine it would be quick, easy, or cheap. Just my 2 cents
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #9

I can say that the attached canvas on the bunk ends was a main purchasing point for me. Our previous camper was a popup with the canvas that attached with bungee cords underneath the bunks. While camping in it one night, our dog rolled over and fell outside of the bunk.

We lost our popup a to a hail storm and were in the market for a new camper. Because of the dog incident I decided I wanted to go full hard side. I happened to walk by a competitor's hybrid and saw the canvas attached to the bunk. I thought this was fantastic. I really liked out Rockwood popup so I went to see what Rockwood had to offer in Hybrids and here we are with our 233s.

The fully attached canvas is the only way to go.
Towed by 2016 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
Replaced 2011 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
that overheated every time it towed up hill.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:14 PM   #10

Thanks for all of the input. I would like to try and convert mine to attached and sealed to the bunk. I will need to find or make a track for the canvas to attach to. Does anybody have a photo of what the track looks like from the outside when the canvas is not in it?

Tags
roo, bunk