Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2021, 12:55 AM   #1

Nissan Frontier sv v6 CC 4x4

We currently tow a 2019 premier 2716g with this truck and have no issues. We are looking to upgrade to a Roo 21ss and are concerned with the weight. The Nissan has a tow capacity 6100 which Iím sure is close to the loaded weight of the 21ss. Can my truck tow a Roo 21ss?
Vandal12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal12 View Post
We currently tow a 2019 premier 2716g with this truck and have no issues. We are looking to upgrade to a Roo 21ss and are concerned with the weight. The Nissan has a tow capacity 6100 which Iím sure is close to the loaded weight of the 21ss. Can my truck tow a Roo 21ss?
Unfortunately the 21SS has a heavy tongue weight for its size. And it will easily exceed the Frontier's max hitch weight of 610lbs, when loaded for camping.
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...d-roo/21SS/963
Once you add the weights of batteries, propane, factory options, water and trailer cargo, it'll be over that.
That is IF it has the factory tow package. If not, it's not rated for the 610lbs/6100bs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:03 AM   #3

I can tell you on my 21SS my tongue weight hovers right around 650-660lbs when loaded up. That's with my propane tanks, battery, and the stuff i store in the front storage compartments.
jimbo1710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:36 AM   #4

I tow with a 2011 Nissan Frontier. I am borderline myself on towing. If you can work around the tongue weight, use a safety brake battery instead of a Group 24, remove one or both the propane tanks and place in the rear, empty tanks, anything to get the tongue weight down, you may be able to make it work. However, like me, you will be towing at your outer limits. You will not be winning any races. You should keep your speeds low.

As a youth in the 70's and early 80's I do not remember every hearing discussions about the ability of a truck to pull weights. Everyone just generally hooked up and drove. I have always been concerned about stopping the weight.

Your truck, I am sure will pull the weight. Stopping the weight is a little more difficult but if you do not drive excessively, can slow down early, and get the tongue weight down, you may be able to do this.

As with me, you should consider an upgrade when the opportunity arises.
DanMistyMiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #5

seen some nissan diesels in arkansas pulling 28 ft 5th wheels . i dont think they weighed for tongue weight etc. because thats not on there mind , having outside time is more important than scale this ,scale that. prob .cant find a scale in arkansas if you tried. just some good ol boys out fishing .
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:51 AM   #6

I've pulled boat trailers most of my life with underpowered (and undersized) vehicles. I was always concerned about gas mileage, and mine were all daily drivers. I finally bought a diesel F-250. It is so nice to not worry about weight. I haul 6 people and 50 gallons of extra water in my truck, and it goes up hills at any speed I'm willing to drive. My Superduty is expensive on maintenance, but a joy to tow with. Back in the 80's, I had an old 4x4 F-150 with drum brakes. Coming down a hill in Utah, I could not stop the boat and truck when a motorhome was stopped in the road. I was lucky, and was able to pass, but that was when I decided I needed a 3/4 ton. Think about what happens if your trailer brakes go out.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #7

Frontier towing 21SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1710 View Post
I can tell you on my 21SS my tongue weight hovers right around 650-660lbs when loaded up. That's with my propane tanks, battery, and the stuff i store in the front storage compartments.
Jimbo. I have the 2006 Frontier Nismo with tow package. Its got the NISMO headers, air intake and a Dyno tune so there is plenty of power for a V6. Just picked up a 2014 21SS and am struggling with figuring out tongue load. Most spec sheets I see for this trailer is 4316 dry weight with 2281 cargo limit - 635 tongue load
But on the sticker on the side of the unit, its states dry weight of 4340 with 1309 cargo. No tongue load number- so I would have to calculate. But in order to do that I need a accurate cargo capacity. Which is the correct number or what is your capacity? I think I would be on the limit of what the Frontier will tow, either way as my total cargo capacity for the truck is only about 1200 lbs., so with the Curt Hitch and 650 or more tongue weight, I won't be able to haul a lot in the bed of the truck other than me and the wife, and a little luggage.
Ruined One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:50 PM   #8

Mine has 4911 dry weight and 1600 cargo. Mine is a 2019.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:16 PM   #9

I have a ram 1500 outdoorsman package with the 3.55 rear end, and the V6 motor. I do use the equalizer 4 point WD hitch. I feel comfortable towing with this, but i also don't drive like an idiot. I keep it around 60-63, and don't wait until I'm 10 feet from a stop sign to start braking. It does fine pulling the small hills here in central-southern Ohio.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:11 PM   #10

Tongue Weight

Thanks Jimbo. So looking at your weights of trailer and cargo, and you stated your running about 650 - 660 tongue load, its about 10% of the max or GVWR of your trailer. Is that correct?
Using that formula, if I was fully loaded to capacity on the 2014 trailer with a max of 5687 for both trailer and cargo, I would only have a tongue weight of 560 lbs, which is well in the specs of the frontier.
Ruined One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:28 PM   #11

That sounds about right to me, but i am no expert. I have always heard that the 21SS is kinda tongue weight heavy. I ended up buying one of these "BetterWeigh Mobile Tongue Weight and Payload Scale for OBD II" last year. It seems to be pretty accurate actually. I compared it to an actual tongue weight scale a friend has and it was 6 pounds off from his. That's close enough for me!