Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #1

No power from battery to trailer

Getting ready for the first outing of the year and I ran into a snag? I'm not getting any power from the battery to the interior. I've got a 2015 Roo 21DK. I've gone through the battery disconnect ordeal and the only thing I cam come up with his a reset switch under the frame. Lead comes from the battery and goes through this little switch, it has a very small button, that when pushed is suppose to reset the power. I feel pretty confident this is what the problem is, but curious if anyone else has run into this. Here are pictures of the culprit.
Thanks for any help,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2494.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	140811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2495.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	140812  
clockmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #2

If you have a voltmeter is there power on both sides on the breaker?
Red to one side of breaker, ground to battery ground. Then red to other side of breaker and black to battery ground.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #3

Thanks, I'lll check that out. Is that what that is, a breaker?
Jim
Old 06-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #4

Yes, it is a circuit breaker.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:21 PM   #5

Had the same thing on mine the first time out, had to replace the 40 amp fuse that is along the driver's side of the frame, between the battery and the cabin. It may have been a 30 and I put a 40 in it.
High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:19 PM   #6

If you check it like imusa said in his post and find you need a new resettable breaker they are available at any auto parts store.
List: Circuit Breaker | O'Reilly Auto Parts
check the fuse in the green holder also.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country View Post
Had the same thing on mine the first time out, had to replace the 40 amp fuse that is along the driver's side of the frame, between the battery and the cabin. It may have been a 30 and I put a 40 in it.
I did check the fuse and it appeared to be okay. I guess changing it wouldn't hurt.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 06-11-2017, 05:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
If you check it like imusa said in his post and find you need a new resettable breaker they are available at any auto parts store.
List: Circuit Breaker | O'Reilly Auto Parts
check the fuse in the green holder also.
Thanks,because the reset switch won't work, I'll probably replace it Thanks for the tip about O'Reilly's
Jim
Old 06-11-2017, 06:50 AM   #9

Please consider using a multimeter to see if you have 12v on both sides of fuses or circuit breakers . when you find a side without 12v, you found the problem. Otherwise you're just guessing

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:12 AM   #10

resettable circuit breaker

The item in your picture is called a resettable circuit breaker. With the quality of Chinese's parts, .... I would keep spares around. I've replaced some of mine with a waterproof fuse. CBs, fuses should not "blow" as routine. If one went, you had a problem: find the problem and repair or remove it.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
The item in your picture is called a resettable circuit breaker. With the quality of Chinese's parts, .... I would keep spares around. I've replaced some of mine with a waterproof fuse. CBs, fuses should not "blow" as routine. If one went, you had a problem: find the problem and repair or remove it.
X2. My 2012 doesn't have any resettable fuses, and I've never had any problems. I have helped several friends with newer rigs replace their resettable fuses with either quality ones or real fuses. In every case the OEM resettable fuse was junk and popped off continually. After replacing, there have been zero problems.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #12

Ground wire

Had same problem. The ground wire that is attached to frame by the wires you see; remove it, clean everything (shinny) and re attavh.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockmanjim View Post
Getting ready for the first outing of the year and I ran into a snag? I'm not getting any power from the battery to the interior. I've got a 2015 Roo 21DK. I've gone through the battery disconnect ordeal and the only thing I cam come up with his a reset switch under the frame. Lead comes from the battery and goes through this little switch, it has a very small button, that when pushed is suppose to reset the power. I feel pretty confident this is what the problem is, but curious if anyone else has run into this. Here are pictures of the culprit.
Thanks for any help,
Jim
That happen to us years ago when we had a TT,,, had to go to RV shop on our way North,,, teck replaced it for us,,, I bought a extra to carry with us,,, had it about 8 years and never needed it !!! still have it somewhere ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #14

I was under mine this wknd and noted both nuts were loose that secure the wires to the breaker. FR never included any method to retain the nuts. So I added star washers.....should add some loctite too.
jonshonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrickim63 View Post
Please consider using a multimeter to see if you have 12v on both sides of fuses or circuit breakers . when you find a side without 12v, you found the problem. Otherwise you're just guessing
Ok, I have a multimeter. I have never used one before but I'm assuming I put it on the D.C. Setting. If I understand correctly. I put the red probe on the lead coming into the breaker, the black probe goes where? If I have powe there, then I would put the red probe on the green wire and go through the same process. Is that correct?
Old 06-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockmanjim View Post
Ok, I have a multimeter. I have never used one before but I'm assuming I put it on the D.C. Setting. If I understand correctly. I put the red probe on the lead coming into the breaker, the black probe goes where? If I have powe there, then I would put the red probe on the green wire and go through the same process. Is that correct?
Black on ground, the white wire with the yellow crimp connector held down by the corroded screw. Red to each side of the breaker one at a time, if the breaker is working, both sides will show 12vdc.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #17

Anyone that owns an RV must have a Multimeter and learn how to use it !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #18

Set the Multimeter to 20 volts DC,
starting at the battery, check your voltage, should be 13 ish volts plus or minus.
Test using the multimeter leads, and touch the red one to your connector, one to a ground, before and after each section. You should get a reading each time. If not that's where your power stops. Could be a resetable fuse, key disconnect, or a bad wire.

I had a similar event last year, my case was the key disconnect switch dealio had failed...$5 part online, but my dealer fixed me up quick as it was still under warranty.

Free-with-coupon ($3 without) multimeter, or 12v test light from Harbor Freight is more than good enough, leave it in the camper.
jehrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:10 PM   #19

I want to thank everyone for their tips & info. I replaced the breaker ( which I'm told is now automatically resetable) and I'm happy to report that I now have power through the battery.
Thanks again to all
Jim
Old 06-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #20

Here's a 40 amp unit hidden away from dirt and dust...
and got rid of the one under the trailer...
consider this next time it goes bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170619_085436.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	142368  
slider in CT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power, trailer