Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2020, 07:13 PM   #1

Odd Leak Front Bunk

Noticed some delamination on the center of the lower front wall of my 2013 Roo 233. So I know there must be a leak. While it was raining noticed the water seemed to be coming in from the center of the bottom of the bunk housing. Pressure tested the entire camper and the only leaks I could find were at the top of all three bunks. There is a small hole in the top rail of all 3. It’s on the right side of the side and rear bunks and left side of the front bunk. I should also note that when the camper was 1 year old the bunk hinges were bending and Forest River replaced all 3 Bunks under warranty.
Does anyone else have these holes ? Manufacturing defect ?
Did dealer forgot to caulk / plug then when they installed the new bunks?
Friends have a 2020 233 and there are no holes on their bunks. Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	225190Attachment 1
kmalcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:17 PM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	225191
Old 03-14-2020, 07:45 PM   #3

Quote:
on the center of the lower front wall of my 2013 Roo 233.
are you talking about the bunk door or below the hinge of the front bunk?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
are you talking about the bunk door or below the hinge of the front bunk?

Below the hinge. There are 2 “vertical delam spots” from the hinge area to the floor / bottom of wall.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #5

you find holes at the top of the bunk doors, if I am reading correctly, but you describe a delam situation below the bunk hinges.

I doubt that the two are connected otherwise the bunk door would have a problem, as in delam of the bunk doors which is usually the problem owners complain about.

When the hinged bunk doors were replaced, or maybe before that, the hinge area must have gotten wet and let water intrude into the area below the bunk causing the problem.

That hinge area is always an area that I keep an eye on, both for failing hinges and water retention in rainy weather. Neither has been a problem with me so far.

If all you have is a little delam area below the bunk, and the hinge is still good, then I would just watch it. Maybe put a small space heater set on low in the compartment by the bunk and see if it will dry out in a week or so and see if the bulge goes away. Caulk good around the hinge area and watch that water does not intrude into that area and sit there after a rain.

That is my best advise with what you have stated above.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, leak