Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #1

Of thermostats and outside speakers (23IKSS)

Sipping my coffee made on the cooktop and nibbling on a bagel with lox from my blue lit fridge while lounging in an anti-gravity chair under the power awning, I write this question on my iPad, as we camp by the Chesapeake Bay:

Is a digital thermostat available for my mini abode? Seems that just a fraction of a mm of movement on the tiny lever results in major temperature events.

And another question for now: has anyone installed an inline volume control for the outside speakers? To hear them properly outside means someone going deaf inside.

Happy 4th to my fellow American readers.

Todd
Toddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:24 AM   #2

If you have a Genisis it will make no difference. The only way I found to do it was to install 6" Concertone outside from 4" and it did help but it is still not equal. But much better.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #3

Not sure about the thermostat, but I don't see why you couldn't use one. The radio on both TT i have owned had 3 push buttons on the radio. A, B, and C. A and B were inside and C was outside. Push once speaker on, push again speaker off.
dmac1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I have the same button set on my radio also. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:45 AM   #5

My 23IKSS is a 2016, not sure what brand head unit it is, gl.

(dmac and ace: yes, I have same buttons, but I'm looking for volume adjustment, not zone control. My dear wife is inside cooking right now, and we'd both like to enjoy the music without one of us losing our hearing).
Toddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Site Team

Digital thermos are a very common mod.
Most use a Hunter or Honeywell one.
I got my Honeywell for $12 at Walmart.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #7

Here's some pics of my digital Honeywell RTH111, and a wiring diagram. I installed a small Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) switch because I have a 2-speed fan, but most residential T-stats only handle one speed. The switch allows me to chose hi or lo. If you only have one speed you're good. If you have two but can live with one, just hook up the one you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150612_185504_049.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	82050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Digital T-stat 1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	82051  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thermostsat wiring.pdf (114.2 KB, 74 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #8

The factory wires the radios in a goofy way. A is one of the inside speakers and B is the other. C is the pair of outside speakers. If you change the wiring so that both interior speakers are on A (one on the left channel and one on the right) and move the outside speakers to the B left/right, the sound will be more balanced. I have not done this yet, but Im pretty sure I read this somewhere on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddavid View Post
My 23IKSS is a 2016, not sure what brand head unit it is, gl.

(dmac and ace: yes, I have same buttons, but I'm looking for volume adjustment, not zone control. My dear wife is inside cooking right now, and we'd both like to enjoy the music without one of us losing our hearing).

We have a 2014 ikss and have the same problem. We did notice, however, that when the air conditioner is on, but volume inside is not that loud. The AC makes a bunch of white noise.

We would like to know the same thing..I think it's too much of a difference between the two.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddavid View Post
Sipping my coffee made on the cooktop and nibbling on a bagel with lox from my blue lit fridge while lounging in an anti-gravity chair under the power awning, I write this question on my iPad, as we camp by the Chesapeake Bay:

Is a digital thermostat available for my mini abode? Seems that just a fraction of a mm of movement on the tiny lever results in major temperature events.

And another question for now: has anyone installed an inline volume control for the outside speakers? To hear them properly outside means someone going deaf inside.

Happy 4th to my fellow American readers.

Todd
Would ur radio happen to be a Kenwood.
mudman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:16 PM   #11

You could put in a low cost DC stereo amp for the outside speakers and get the control you need. Check Amazon for DC power amp and check out the VicTec unit.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:16 PM   #12

Correction. DC stereo amp
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:57 PM   #13

We have the 21DK and have the same problem with the outside speakers. To hear outside I have to turn off A&B and raise the volume for C. Haven't been able to listen inside and outside at the same time. Good luck.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:05 AM   #14

My radio uses the fader control to blend inside and outside speakers
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #15

What some people have done to solve the volume problem with outside speakers is to add an in line volume control to the inside speakers and turn them down. Even a fixed power resistor in line with each inside speaker would do the trick. Maybe a 8 to 16 ohm resistor, 10 watts. Might still get at Radio Shack if one near you. And as previous poster said, putting better speakers outside helps too.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #16

What better speakers outside are available?

urocav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #17

I set my Bluetooth enabled Genesis radio on "C" speakers. I set the volume at #20 and link the radio to my iPhone via Bluetooth. I then make my way outside with a proper adult beverage and stream my favorite classic rock station from the phone to the radio to my outside speakers. I adjust the volume level with my iPhone's side buttons. I can switch to a different station via the app or listen to my iPod all from the comforts of my lounge chair.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:39 AM   #18
Take The Road Less Travld

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
The factory wires the radios in a goofy way. A is one of the inside speakers and B is the other. C is the pair of outside speakers. If you change the wiring so that both interior speakers are on A (one on the left channel and one on the right) and move the outside speakers to the B left/right, the sound will be more balanced. I have not done this yet, but Im pretty sure I read this somewhere on here.

My speakers were linked so that when I use the balance control on my radio, one speaker outside and one inside were on the left and the other was the right. I fixed the wiring so that left balance was outside speakers and right was inside. Now I can change the balance of the inside speakers lower and the outside speakers higher and I'm able to turn up the sound a little higher without drowning out the inside. Works very well. I will also turn off the A and B speakers and use just the C sometimes. Pretty much the same Idea you had with the inline volume control but the Genesis unit has it built in.

Be courteous to others in campgrounds with loud outside music!
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
My speakers were linked so that when I use the balance control on my radio, one speaker outside and one inside were on the left and the other was the right. I fixed the wiring so that left balance was outside speakers and right was inside. Now I can change the balance of the inside speakers lower and the outside speakers higher and I'm able to turn up the sound a little higher without drowning out the inside. Works very well. I will also turn off the A and B speakers and use just the C sometimes. Pretty much the same Idea you had with the inline volume control but the Genesis unit has it built in.

Be courteous to others in campgrounds with loud outside music!
The only problem with that system the way you wired it is, you no longer have stereo. Outside is one channel and inside is another.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASPEDDLER View Post
I set my Bluetooth enabled Genesis radio on "C" speakers. I set the volume at #20 and link the radio to my iPhone via Bluetooth. I then make my way outside with a proper adult beverage and stream my favorite classic rock station from the phone to the radio to my outside speakers. I adjust the volume level with my iPhone's side buttons. I can switch to a different station via the app or listen to my iPod all from the comforts of my lounge chair.
thats great untill the person inside wants to listen also...and then they go deaf when they turn on a and b. It's simply a bad set up.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat