Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2022, 10:25 AM   #1

Exclamation Ordering a Hybrid Mattress Replacement Need Help

All,

I have a 2011 Roo 21SS that did not come with any mattresses. I reached out to FR today and they sent me the following information. Can anyone here confirm this is what I need? I recently had a dealer order a replacement and it was not hinged and it was actually furry. None of the Roo 21SS mattresses I've seen photos of matched it at all.

After speaking with a FR rep today they sent this information over but could not provide any pictures.

I have listed your requested part number below:

F100100894- MATTRESS - SOP: HEATED FOAM MATTRESS, HINGED - TEDDY BEAR CHARCOAL - 4 1/2" X 17" X 73 1/2" TH 5 1/2" X 40" X 73 1/2" - V# 786387 Cost:$647.62/each

F100105402-SPECIAL PACKAGING FEE OF $54.00/EACH

+S&H
CyberPsi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:07 PM   #2

786387 are the hinged, brown, heated mattresses that came with our '22 235S. The "teddy bear" reference refers to the outer covering, which is indeed "furry" (like a teddy bear). And while the heating is a nice-ish feature, they're not very comfortable mattresses (rather thin). Seeking comfort, many owners (us included) have added a foam mattress topper (ours is a 4" topper from Walmart). Some have purchased non-folding replacements, or had them made.

At 647.62eac + 54.00/ea + S&H from Forest River, you might be tempted by a different supplier for the same product:

https://store.lci1.com/heated-matt-f...harcoal-786387 (only omg588.95/ea, instead of OMG701.62/ea)

...or seek out an entirely different solution.

You could certainly purchase solid, nonfolding mattresses (without the unique RV tax), though they'd have to travel on end inside the coach. With enough mattress height (PLUS additional padding), I don't many would notice a height difference. The hinge lets them fold and travel up against the beddoors, and lets one side of the mattress be a different depth than the other, to accommodate the different levels of the bed surface, as the door transitions to the shelf. Likewise, the fold enables owners get their mattresses in the 'back' bunk (which has a much smaller opening than the very open front bunk thanks to its position up against the bathroom).

Hope this helps.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:33 PM   #3

$588 is a much better price. Do you have any pictures of your mattress? They were unable to show me anything. Im definitely going to order from your link vs the FR quote they provided.

I dont expect great comfort but I do want to stick with the ability to fold it up and snap it to the bunk end as it was meant to be. So for me, the factory mattresses will be the best bet. This will mostly be for weekends only and the occastional 3-4 days at most.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:19 PM   #4

Glad to help! I accept scotch.

I also understand about wanting the stock/OEM mattress. When they arrive, remember that you can add a topper (we did, 4" Allswell Queen from Walmart - and are *immensely* happy with it... better sleep than at home). The topper rides on the settee when we're traveling.

No photos of mine, specifically, but you can hit the ForestRiver website or Youtube and look at any Roo, esp the interior 360° views... here's what they look like unfolded and in place
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 5.17.01 PM.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	273839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 5.21.03 PM.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	273840  
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:29 AM   #5

Quote:
+S&H
Freight charges? These can[t ship UPS that I'm aware, they need go go by truck. Sometimes these can be sent to the ordering dealer inside another unit for lower or no cost.

Been sleeping on our '06 Roo 23SS mattresses since 2005 and they're just fine although many princesses seem to find peas underneath.

-- Chuck
Old 05-24-2022, 12:45 PM   #6

It's very cheap to ship via UPS ground, CyberPsi01 (hi, that's (1) by UPS and (2) by truck). To **my** address, it's only $18 for both and – if you create an account with the Lippert store – it looks like you will save an additional 10% on your first order (which could add up to a decent amount on two mattresses).

Note that the price FROM LIPPERT excludes dealer/brand markup + handling on parts (hence the savings).

Were it me, I'd buy from Lippert and enjoy. Good luck, CyberPsi01!
Old 05-24-2022, 01:38 PM   #7

Thanks

Already ordered and the 10% discount did apply. The site says it should ship in about a week or so but I have my doubts. You saw the price that FR wanted to charge.

But on top of that aftermarkets would have been over a grand for a custom build hinged mattress.

So the best bet was direct through Lippert.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:38 AM   #8

The original mattress on our ROO was junk. We had to put an eggcrate mattress on top to make it barely usable. We purchased a foam mattress instead, and it is much, much better. The only issues are clearance and folding. Ours will only allow about a 5" mattress. Which is plenty, but they are hard to find. Solid foam doesn't fold very well, so I'd suggest cutting from the bottom about 1/2 way through the foam where it needs to fold. A sharp filet knife or an electric knife will cut foam easily.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:50 PM   #9

Quick Update for everyone here. The new mattress arrived today and it is a perfect fit for the camper. The 2 issues encountered are as follows:

1. They did not send the heated mattress controller for the brand new heated mattress (Lippert is resolving)

2. It Appears that the straps with the snaps on the end are no longer default as this mattress appears to have 2 velcro strips on the bottom. Im just gonna fabricate the snaps so I can make sure this mattress stays in place when I close the bunk up.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPsi01 View Post
Quick Update for everyone here. The new mattress arrived today and it is a perfect fit for the camper.
Yay! Glad to hear it! You should be in fine shape with the heat controllers - some people actually do use them underneath a mattress topper, I have resisted the urge, thinking that the insulation of the toper will overwhelm the heating elements. entirely up to you, but might want to watch it if you heat the bed up under the topper.

Your 22ss won't have any problems keeping the BACK mattress in place, but the front one might be a trick. Rather than start stitching straps in place, might I suggest a collapsing/friction fit shower/curtain rod? The current curtain up there is hooks on a track (not very sturdy), but a curtain rod could be support for the mattress as you travel, AND a little closet overflow for hanging items (as needed). Just an idea, I don't even know how viable.

Alternatively, maybe just make a place/fitting for the ends of the tent center post. This would keep your centerpost readily available (normally it travels folded up in the mattress), wouldn't add anything to your load, and would help secure the mattress while underway.

Just spitballing. I'm just glad the mattresses worked out from Lippert!
Old 06-08-2022, 10:20 PM   #11

Not a bad idea with the shower rod. But the issue I was attempting to solve was ensuring the mattress didn’t move/slide as I close the bunk up.

Which is what the snap straps did with the older version. Because the newer mattress is thicker I might not have an issue but just wanted to come up with a plan just in case.

With the bunk closed the mattress does not move at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
Yay! Glad to hear it! You should be in fine shape with the heat controllers - some people actually do use them underneath a mattress topper, I have resisted the urge, thinking that the insulation of the toper will overwhelm the heating elements. entirely up to you, but might want to watch it if you heat the bed up under the topper.

Your 22ss won't have any problems keeping the BACK mattress in place, but the front one might be a trick. Rather than start stitching straps in place, might I suggest a collapsing/friction fit shower/curtain rod? The current curtain up there is hooks on a track (not very sturdy), but a curtain rod could be support for the mattress as you travel, AND a little closet overflow for hanging items (as needed). Just an idea, I don't even know how viable.

Alternatively, maybe just make a place/fitting for the ends of the tent center post. This would keep your centerpost readily available (normally it travels folded up in the mattress), wouldn't add anything to your load, and would help secure the mattress while underway.

Just spitballing. I'm just glad the mattresses worked out from Lippert!
Old 06-08-2022, 10:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPsi01 View Post
the issue I was attempting to solve was ensuring the mattress didn’t move/slide as I close the bunk up.
Interesting. We actually take the mattresses out completely (and - depending on the weather - sometimes have to turn them upside down, outside, in the sun to dry out any absorbed condensation in the mattress… and there is a good possibility of some!) Then we fold up and secure the bunk ends (allowing for gathering of the tent ends, including our pugs, which we leave attached). And only THEN do we put the mattresses back into their carry positions…

I don’t know why we do it this way, it just works for us… it never even occurred to us to do it differently.

Anyway, Best of luck, friend!

Tags
replacement