Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #1

Our first weekend out with our new-to-us '13 Shamrock 21SS

Overall it was a great success! Only a couple of issues/annoyances to address...
  • Mattress comfort - The factory innerspring mattress is horribly uncomfortable, so I ordered a 4" foam mattress topper off Amazon (memory foam + HD foam) and hope that helps, will find out when we go camping again this weekend.
  • Showering gets the bathroom floor wet - Issue seems to be there's no lip around the shower edge so water seems to run down the back to the bottom and then out onto the floor. This was partly due to being slightly off-level towards the slide (Was level when I pulled in, forgot to make it slightly high on the slide side since the slide will pull that side down a bit) so gravity wasn't helping, but I'd like to find something that will prevent that from happening in general, water damage is my main concern in general and it would be nice if I didn't have to leave a towel on the floor around the edge to keep it contained.

We ran into an issue with counter space, so I ordered a stovetop cover/cutting board to add some. The FW1/KW1 water filter sucks, the filters that the previous owner left with the trailer don't fit (They bought the wrong filters) and I'm not going to spend $30 on a filter, so I ordered a Camco EVO kit and the metal filter stand. This also makes it easier to replace the filter without getting water inside the storage compartment.

Also getting a better water pressure regulator, the cheap non-adjustable ones just flow for crap.

Really debating getting PUGs, the A/C was on pretty much constantly in the afternoon even with the curtains closed to try and keep the heat contained in the bunk area. It never got hot in the trailer, but it wasn't able to cool down to where we had the thermostat set.

Other than these annoyances it went great and we had an awesome time. Was able to get 12-14mpg towing it with my Canyon as long as I kept it at 65mph. 70mph dropped it down to 10-11 and 75mph dropped it down to 9-10 and that was with the pedal to the floor (181HP only gets you so far). 65mph is a great cruising speed and I'll use that for calculating how far we can go in a day during our 3-week trip this summer.

Also, the Fastway e2 hitch worked great. Had some crosswind on the drive back and it tracked great doing 65MPH, no sway and wasn't having to fight it. Only way I really even knew there was wind was by looking at the trees and where the dust from the fields being plowed was blowing. The Goodyear Endurance tires seemed to help this as well, I recall driving the trailer home from the dealer with the factory tires and feeling the wind pushing the trailer around more for sure.

Next up, Turkey Run this weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7583943280_IMG_0253.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	170985  
Old 05-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #2

hope you have a great time this weekend and on your 3 week trip this summer. We did a three week trip to the southwest with our 23WS hybrid last year and had a blast.
I highly recommend PUGs and reflectix for the tent ends - we use them and they do help to keep the tent ends tolerable when it was 100 degrees outside. I don't expect the A/C to get the camper down to what I keep the house at, I just need it to lower the temp a bit and take the humidity out so that nighttime is comfortable and not in a sauna.

for the shower, I wonder if those corner water deflectors would work? Not sure since we don't have your shower set up (we have a glass door on ours).
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #3

On my 2012 Roo 19 I added a long shower splash guard on the side by the toilet. I had to remove a few of the white things that held the shower wall to the trailer wall because the splash guard needed to go where they were located. I found some auto panel retainers at the auto store to replace them with (you have to cut off the tops). I moved them over just enough to get the splash guard on.

Name:	Shower #1 (auto panel retainers).JPG
Views:	185
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	171048

Name:	Shower #2.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	171049

Name:	Shower #3.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	171050

Name:	Shower #4.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	171051

I also added a piece of plexiglass to the side of the bathroom cabinet to keep it from getting wet.

Name:	Shower #5.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	171052

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
On my 2012 Roo 19 I added a long shower splash guard on the side by the toilet. I had to remove a few of the white things that held the shower wall to the trailer wall because the splash guard needed to go where they were located. I found some auto panel retainers at the auto store to replace them with (you have to cut off the tops). I moved them over just enough to get the splash guard on.
Attachment 171048
Attachment 171049
Attachment 171050
Attachment 171051

I also added a piece of plexiglass to the side of the bathroom cabinet to keep it from getting wet.

Attachment 171052

Good ideas, thanks for the pics!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #5

Quote:
the A/C was on pretty much constantly in the afternoon even with the curtains closed to try and keep the heat contained in the bunk area.
no matter if I am heating or cooling I have a small 14 inch fan on in the living area pointed mostly just up to circulate the air around... helps with heating or cooling.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #6

first weekend out in 21SS

I agree that the mattress is uncomfortable! That is the first thing we did is to put a 2.5 inch thick memory foam pad on it! We sleep great now! I'm not so sure you will get your bunk doors closed with 4 inch thick foam pad on your mattress, but give it a try.
When we were in Florida last spring, I put Refectix insulation https://www.reflectixinc.com/product...ve-insulation/ in the bunk windows. I did not use Popup Gizmos, but found a heavy duty space blanket that is reflective on one side and use 7 spring clamps on each end. The TT was very comfortable in the 90 degree Florida sun! I bought them for $44.00 plus clamps from Mountain Gear https://www.mountaingear.com/accesso...MG235460P.html They were the perfect size! I also put a folding table on the side of the stove cabinet, see photo. I think the shower on my 2016 Roo 21SS is different than yours. We have shower doors.
Enjoy your camper!!! We love ours!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00806.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	171186   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00807.jpg
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	171187   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00809.jpg
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	171188  
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by djemgoss View Post
I agree that the mattress is uncomfortable! That is the first thing we did is to put a 2.5 inch thick memory foam pad on it! We sleep great now! I'm not so sure you will get your bunk doors closed with 4 inch thick foam pad on your mattress, but give it a try.
When we were in Florida last spring, I put Refectix insulation https://www.reflectixinc.com/product...ve-insulation/ in the bunk windows. I did not use Popup Gizmos, but found a heavy duty space blanket that is reflective on one side and use 7 spring clamps on each end. The TT was very comfortable in the 90 degree Florida sun! I bought them for $44.00 plus clamps from Mountain Gear https://www.mountaingear.com/accesso...MG235460P.html They were the perfect size! I also put a folding table on the side of the stove cabinet, see photo. I think the shower on my 2016 Roo 21SS is different than yours. We have shower doors.
Enjoy your camper!!! We love ours!
The 4" mattress cover I ordered is only about 10lb and we'll just roll it up and put it in the dinette area when closed up so not a problem there. I see you have a range (oven and cooktop) with a cover, I'm jealous! We only have the drop-in cooktop that has no cover so I ordered an oak cover for that. I like the folding shelf idea, too. Thanks! I might do that as well.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #8

Where did you find the folding table?

2017 Flagstaff Shamrock 21ss pulled by a 2007 Ford F150 XLT 4X4
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #9

The counter space on a 21ss is some where between Zero and None. I went to the local plastics store and ordered a piece of plastic/cutting board to fit over the little counter on the right side of the sink to the middle of the sink and from front to back. I then cut out a slot wide and long enough to fir over the faucets which holds it in place. We now have a little counter space and can also use half of the sink at the same time.

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	171215

Name:	IMG_0616.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	171216

Name:	IMG_0617.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	171217

2017 Flagstaff Shamrock 21ss pulled by a 2007 Ford F150 XLT 4X4
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
The counter space on a 21ss is some where between Zero and None. I went to the local plastics store and ordered a piece of plastic/cutting board to fit over the little counter on the right side of the sink to the middle of the sink and from front to back. I then cut out a slot wide and long enough to fir over the faucets which holds it in place. We now have a little counter space and can also use half of the sink at the same time.
Attachment 171215

Attachment 171216

Attachment 171217
You showed us this one a while back. I'm waiting till I get our new faucet in to make one. I guess I should put a move on with the faucet.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #11

Wrapped up our second weekend with the HTT, this time it went much better.

- 4" foam mattress topper felt almost as good as our bed at home - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MEF3MOU
- Oak cooktop cover added much-needed counter space - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDUTX6
- Camco EVO in-line water filter flows nicely and no changing the filter in the storage compartment anymore - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00523AMBC

Our site was well-shaded and had no problems with morning sun beating down.

Overall a great weekend, now I'm feeling better about our 3-week trip this summer!
Old 05-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #12

Dianna cut some of the silver bubble packing material to fit the windows for the winter in Rock Springs Wyoming.
Then used the on the sunny side of the trailer to keep the sun out.
You can find it by the roll at Home Depot and Lowes
David N Dianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:10 AM   #13

Those are some impressive MPG towing numbers. Sounds like your Canyon matches up pretty well with your Roo?? I'd be interested in your impression of how it toes... Ran into someone who had just bought one and towed with it the first time and he was impressed. He opted for the diesel.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
Those are some impressive MPG towing numbers. Sounds like your Canyon matches up pretty well with your Roo?? I'd be interested in your impression of how it toes... Ran into someone who had just bought one and towed with it the first time and he was impressed. He opted for the diesel.
Yeah, pretty happy with the Canyon when towing this trailer. I also have the diesel, thus the decent MPG numbers. My biggest complaint is freeway speed. I know these non-HD diesel trucks are more for fuel economy than towing power so I wasn't expecting a rocket, but really anything above 65MPH is a struggle with the parachute behind me. Our speed limits around here are 70, it would be nice to be able to easily go the speed limit but oh well. 65 isn't a problem, just takes longer to get places.

I could run a tune and get another 40HP/70TQ but with less than 10k on the clock I think I'd rather keep my powertrain warranty for a while longer.

Overall experience has been great, though. Tows really well (I have the long bed), wind/sway isn't an issue, the exhaust brake and built-in trailer brake controller work like a charm.

The past 2 trips have only been an hour and 1.5 hours away so I haven't run an entire tank towing yet, but in 3 weeks we'll be going camping a few hours away so that will be good to find out how it'll do on longer trips. I'm expecting to fill up every 200 miles (every 3 hours or so), destination is about 275 miles away. 3 hours between fill-ups should be fine based on how I'm planning to do long-distance/multi-day drives.

Eat breakfast, leave at 9am, drive 3 hours, stop for fuel and lunch, drive 3 hours, fill up, drive 3 hours, stop for the night.

Titan Fuel Tanks also makes a 36-gallon replacement fuel tank for these trucks (long bed only) so I could theoretically go roughly 400 miles towing between fill-ups. $750 is a lot of money just to extend the distance between fills, though.

Tags
shamrock