Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2020, 07:27 AM   #1
HappyFamilyCamper

Our NTU Shamrock 183

Hello fellow campers,
We got our Shamrock 183 2014 model from a private sale here in Southern Ontario on labor day weekend during this evil COVID19 pandemic, and used it for two nights over the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend a week ago, and we loved the convenience of not sleeping on the ground, and the pride of ownership a trailer, even a hybrid, brings when in a campground! A dream has come true!
We love our trailer already!
So, we went to the outdoor parking lot and winterized it yesterday using about 2 gallon cans of plumbing grade antifreeze from Lowe's.
We have a few newbie questions...
1) The hot water tank anode looks eaten up. Would you recommend getting a new one for the next season? Where can I buy one? Please see attached photos.
2) The clear acrylic filter canister next to the water pump looks half filled with the antifreeze when we finished. Is this normal? Next photo.
3) Is there somewhere I can find a complete manual for our Shamrock 183 2014 model? Or a place to find a step by step protocol to winterize and dewinterize this model of hybrid trailer? See photo of bypassed HW heater tank
4) We still don't know where our breaker panel is for the trailer, and what spares to carry.
5) Lastly, after winterizing the trailer, we forgot to pull out the battery button, so the battery circuit is still on. Will it drain the battery till spring even if all lights are off?

If my post is in the wrong location, I kindly request the admins to copy it to where it should be posted. This is my first post.

Thanks to everyone for your advice in advance.
-Sherin and Vipul,
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada 🇨🇦
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201019_124942.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	241550   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201019_125235.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	241551   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201019_133853.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	241552  
Happy Family Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Family Camper View Post

1) The hot water tank anode looks eaten up. Would you recommend getting a new one for the next season? Where can I buy one? Please see attached photos.
I wouldn't replace it. It still looks like it has at least one more season in it.
Quote:

2) The clear acrylic filter canister next to the water pump looks half filled with the antifreeze when we finished. Is this normal?
Yes, that is for your water filter. At a minimum in the spring take it off and dump the antifreeze out before you unwinterize it.
Quote:

3) Is there somewhere I can find a complete manual for our Shamrock 183 2014 model? Or a place to find a step by step protocol to winterize and dewinterize this model of hybrid trailer?
No idea on this one
Quote:

4) We still don't know where our breaker panel is for the trailer, and what spares to carry.
No idea on this one either.
Quote:

5) Lastly, after winterizing the trailer, we forgot to pull out the battery button, so the battery circuit is still on. Will it drain the battery till spring even if all lights are off?
Yes, the CO alarm will drain it.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Family Camper View Post
So, we went to the outdoor parking lot and winterized it yesterday using about 2 gallon cans of plumbing grade antifreeze from Lowe's.
We have a few newbie questions...
2) The clear acrylic filter canister next to the water pump looks half filled with the antifreeze when we finished. Is this normal? Next photo.
3) Is there somewhere I can find a complete manual for our Shamrock 183 2014 model? Or a place to find a step by step protocol to winterize and dewinterize this model of hybrid trailer? See photo of bypassed HW heater tank
First, you should have bought RV antifreeze. Much cheaper especially from Wal-Mart.

1. I would order one from Amazon.
2. Yes
3. There is no such thing as a model-specific nor brand-specific owners manual in the RV Industry. Just a generic owners manual with no model-specific information. Just basic RV system information. If you don't have them, manuals for the important stuff, can be downloaded from the manufacturers websites. Like oven, fridge, converter, a/c, furnace, WH, axles and so on. You just need make and model number.
4. Looks like this:
https://www.campingworld.com/wfco-po...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
5. Yes, modern RVs have numerous parasitic power drains.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:32 PM   #4

Re. the filter canister. Unless I'm seeing this wrong, it looks like the filter element is still in the canister. What I do before winterizing is to remove the canister, remove the filter element (and toss) and dump out the water. Then I dry the canister where it screws into the base and then reattach. Then I pump the antifreeze into the system. That canister holds a little more than a quart or less than $1 of antifreeze purchased at Walmart,
Many complaints on the forums about this type filter canister cracking, but I've just completed 6 years with no problems. Used to have the 183 model; very nice camper.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:11 PM   #5
HappyFamilyCamper

Thank you everyone for all your helpful answers. We really appreciate your help.
@CNYCamper, no the filter candle is not inside the canister. The white you are seeing is the metal clamp behind it, the filter canister had water in it, now it is half full of the antifreeze.
But good advice for the future.
Happy Family Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:28 PM   #6

Happy Family Camper - I disagree with the comments about the filter canister being OK with it being half-filled with antifreeze. After pumping the antifreeze through the system the canister should be completely filled with antifreeze and contain no water.
I just did mine the other day.
The forums library has FR owners manuals you can download. The travel trailer one is circa 2010 and is somewhat different than my 2015 manual. Regardless, this generic (not model specific) document does contain helpful information, e.g., how to winterize, the actual trailer warranty, and other worthwhile stuff.
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote