Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 06:50 AM   #1

outside grill for Roo 23SS?

We bought our 2013 Roo 23SS used last fall. We have the table that attaches outside, but no grill. Is there anywhere that you can purchase equipment like that? We had a Coleman/Fleetwood pop-up prior to this and it was easy to get extra parts and equipment, but I haven't been able to find anything for Roos.

I guess another good question would be how does this outdoor grill work? Is it even worth trying to find? We used the one on our pop-up all the time; although we do also bring a small gas grill with us for actually grilling.
sshea13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #2

The grill works really well. The one that came with the camper is kind of cheap. There is a larger, stainless version at Camping a World for around $200. The on board propane works well. I did purchase a outdoor table through FR. Camping World took care of ordering it for me. Hope this helps.
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:40 AM   #3
Old Camping Squid

Back when I purchased my Forest River Salem 30QBSS, the salesman actually talked my wife out of getting the outside grill, he said ( at least on this unit ) /the grill mounts to the side of the camper under the awning, in the summer you want the awning out for the shade and you want to use the grill. When you use the grill with the awning out all the heat and smoke tends to stay there. He also said he had one himself and will only use it with the awning rolled up.
Something to think about if your grill mounts under the awning.
EZgo TXT and ClubCar Precedent golf carts
2009 Forest River Salem 30QBSS
U.S. Navy Veteran
Eagle-751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by syogerst View Post
The grill works really well. The one that came with the camper is kind of cheap. There is a larger, stainless version at Camping a World for around $200. The on board propane works well. I did purchase a outdoor table through FR. Camping World took care of ordering it for me. Hope this helps.

Just don't buy the piece of crud we have Camco Olympian 5500 mine bent while in transit and now the whole thing is shifted. I love Canco stuff but bought a Coleman NXT and much happier now

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
J R
Screw with a Roo

The outside grill that came with our 2012 21SS was pricey ($300) and doesn't work that well. We have a couple of small propane grills that didn't cost as much and work much better.
J R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshea13 View Post
We bought our 2013 Roo 23SS used last fall. We have the table that attaches outside, but no grill. Is there anywhere that you can purchase equipment like that? We had a Coleman/Fleetwood pop-up prior to this and it was easy to get extra parts and equipment, but I haven't been able to find anything for Roos.

I guess another good question would be how does this outdoor grill work? Is it even worth trying to find? We used the one on our pop-up all the time; although we do also bring a small gas grill with us for actually grilling.
I have the brand new, never used grill that came with ours. If you're interested in it I would sell reasonably priced.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #7

gril

The griil works fine with the awning out. It is cheaper quality but works good.
Weber makes a Q model that is great but you may have to get a fitting to adapt it.I have one at home.
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #8

This is what i use on a bumper mount swing out (RVAD400 Sidekick Low Pressure Grill)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer WD Hitch
2003 Harley FXDX Super Glide
browne02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #9

Slightly off topic...

Slightly off topic, but related to the grill/table. We have a new Roo 183 and are using it for the first time this coming weekend. Where do you store the grill/table while towing? I was just planning on putting it in the shower out of the way, but wanted to gather input from others.

Thanks
ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #10

Shower also
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer WD Hitch
2003 Harley FXDX Super Glide
browne02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #11

We had a Shamrock as well & stored the BBQ & table in the truck box. Our 2009 table was laminated & we left it out in the rain one night. It didn't do well. We only used the BBQ once when our son borrowed our portable Napoleon BBQ. It worked fine but as stated before we didn't want to BBQ so close to the trailer and the bracket for mounting was high. In the newer Rockwoods the table is plastic & should stand up.
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #12

I store the table under my couch in the drawer but carry the grill in my pickup bed don't want it flying around the inside of my Roo or gouging my shower tray

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #13
Old Ram Guy

We got one of these a few weeks ago:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...er-grill/69323

Works great with the onboard propane connection. I got a little camping table to set it on and just removed the swing out arm that held the cheap grill that came with the camper.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #14

I have the outside grill purchased with my 2016 Rockwood. It is new in the box and I don't intend to use it. I just wanted the installed gas plumbing. I'd be willing to sell it if you're interested. Does your camper have the gas connection? It is not like what used to come on the Fleetwood popups. Those were high pressure lines (tank pressure). The Forest River trailers use low pressure (after the regulator) gas plumbing which means that anything that you want to connect must work on low pressure.
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #15

Thank you all for the replies and information. What we were really looking for in the outside grill is a high pressure grill like the one we had on our pop up. It sounds like the Rockwood grills are not the same; we already have a regular propane grill that we can use. We do have the gas connection, if our grill doesn't run off that we might be looking for another one.

Although we have had a pop up for years, I have come to realize that we really are newbies in the trailer world. I'm so happy that I found these boards; I'm sure that we will have many questions after we camp this weekend.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #16

If the one on your pop-up ran off the gas bottle on the pop-up then it most likely was a low pressure grill, not high pressure.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:37 AM   #17

The grill on our pop up ran off the gas connection and was definitely a high pressure grill. I loved it for boiling water - so quick! Our portable gas grill runs off a propane tank; I'm guessing that means that it is low pressure and can hook to the gas connection on our Roo?
Old 05-19-2015, 06:46 AM   #18

Did it run off the gas connection on the pop-up itself? If so, I would have thought it would have been after the regulator, which would make it a low pressure. I definitely could be mistaken, but that is how I understand the propane system to work.
When you say your portable runs off a propane tank, are you talking about the little green screw in cylinders? Or a larger 20LB tank that has a hose running from it to the grill?
Old 05-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
The grill on our pop up ran off the gas connection and was definitely a high pressure grill. I loved it for boiling water - so quick! Our portable gas grill runs off a propane tank; I'm guessing that means that it is low pressure and can hook to the gas connection on our Roo?
Your grill on your pop up shouldn't have or technically couldn't be high pressure.
Your pop up had a regulator right on the tank.
Only way to be high pressure is to hook it directly to the tank.

The portable you ran right off the tank is probably regulated in side the grill.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a high pressure grill ever.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "6 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:33 AM   #20

Quote:

My 2005 had one and I used it all the time. My 2008 had the mount but no grill or gas line so the dealer gave me a 20 pound tank and gas line. It was cheaper for him than to add the gas line that was missing. On the 5th wheel Rockwood it was an add on.

I would rather use it or the microwave than heat up the trailer. Why not use a 2 burner Colman on a small aluminum table?

Jim D
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23ss, roo