Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

Overfilled fresh water tank!!!!

Hello everyone! Today I decided to dewinterize the 17 23ikss hybrid no big deal right? So I started filling the fresh water tank and the 18month old started screaming I run over to see what's going on I get him fixed up and all of a sudden remembered I was filling trailer run over to trailer and water is spraying out of the fill everywhere. I was not even trying to fill the tank just wanted enough to figure out why gauge wasn't working. I got under trailer inspect for damage and drain tank, it looked like the bolt in tank holding rail was bowed . Just wondering if any one has had this issue and what damage may have occurred if any and what I should look for
Mustangsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #2

There shouldn't be any problem with over filling a tank. The fill tube only holds a few ounces. Whenever I fill my fresh water tank I leave the water on full blast until it sprays out the fill inlet. Since the water is spraying out you don't have to worry that you were pressurizing the tank. The angle iron that holds the tank in place was probably bowed from the first time the tank was filled. As many have stated on this forum those pieces of angle iron are undersized for the load they support. I always fill my tank before heading to the campground and have not had a problem yet.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:04 PM   #3

The pressure was being relieved by the overflow vent so more then likely you did no damage. What I would do is just let it sit run the pump and run some water thru the system to your wast tanks
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:06 PM   #4

Once one of the main angles deflects you now have the risk of one of the smaller cross angles popping out of the slot in the main angle. Once one of those cross angles pops loose, the tank itself will sag more than it already does, and most likely sag enough to come completely out. You also take the chance of one of those cross angles popping off and hitting a tire, one of the waste tanks, etc.

I would suggest doing what many others have done and reinforce or rebuild the supports. The support assemblies are too light for the job.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:53 PM   #5

I was thinking that the water blowing out was limiting pressure in the tank. I did also notice that the tank was sagging in between the little braces. I did not know what to think about that. I have never looked under there with water in tank. On a good note I did find a loose connection on the tank for the gauge sender lol
Old 04-23-2017, 10:30 PM   #6

Lippert engineering strikes again... Time for reinforcements.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Once one of the main angles deflects you now have the risk of one of the smaller cross angles popping out of the slot in the main angle. Once one of those cross angles pops loose, the tank itself will sag more than it already does, and most likely sag enough to come completely out. You also take the chance of one of those cross angles popping off and hitting a tire, one of the waste tanks, etc.

I would suggest doing what many others have done and reinforce or rebuild the supports. The support assemblies are too light for the job.
In addition to reinforcing the main supports with angle irons, I also added cotter pins to the tabs on the cross angles to prevent them from popping out. Larry G.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clips.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	439.5 KB
ID:	135735  
aufinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangsho View Post
Hello everyone! Today I decided to dewinterize the 17 23ikss hybrid no big deal right? So I started filling the fresh water tank and the 18month old started screaming I run over to see what's going on I get him fixed up and all of a sudden remembered I was filling trailer run over to trailer and water is spraying out of the fill everywhere. I was not even trying to fill the tank just wanted enough to figure out why gauge wasn't working. I got under trailer inspect for damage and drain tank, it looked like the bolt in tank holding rail was bowed . Just wondering if any one has had this issue and what damage may have occurred if any and what I should look for
If your water pressure going in had more pressure than could be released by the vent, then your tank probably expanded and bowed you support rail. Those rails are not very strong. Time to reinforce before more damage happens towing with water in the tank.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:19 PM   #9

Hello all, when I had our PDI the tech told me to be careful with the black tank. He said the have had more than one pop out when the got over filled. I immediately started thinking of ways to hold it in place. I noticed it does not have any brackets.

Has anyone done a mod to support the black tank?
Roo-minator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #10

I wouldn't rely too much on that vent to keep you from overfilling. Damage can still be done. The fresh water tank will blow up like a balloon and bend that angle out. It doesn't take much. I did the same thing last year right before our last trip of the season, only I wasn't as fortunate as you. My tank dropped all the way out, taking all the wiring for the level sensors with it. I was able to salvage the frame enough to get the tank back into place and still make our trip. We have another one planned in three weeks, and replacing the frame for the fresh water tank is on the top of my list of things to do before we leave.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	1237
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	135822  
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:31 AM   #11

WOW! That's scary
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:36 AM   #12

Wow is right that's crazy I will be doing some reinforcing to mine this week
Mustangsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:41 AM   #13

The Lippert 'Build them cheap, stack them deep' credo strikes again... Nice. I find it interesting that instead of engineering a better arrangement to contain the tank, FR recommends not filling it until arriving at the campsite.

Myself, I prefer my 'at home' water over a campground spigot any day. Water quality varies widely across the United States, depending on where it's drawn from. I know my water is fine, don't know about a foreign source.

Like the old adage says... 'When visiting Mexico don't drink the water'. Having been there a few times, I agree. That applies to this country as well.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:59 AM   #14

When you have a 5/8 garden hose "Stuffed" into your FW fill opening and Over Fill your little 3/8 vent hose will Not expel enough Water to prevent "Tank Bulge"! Youroo!!
Old 04-29-2017, 02:22 PM   #15
2016 Rockwood Roo 21dk

It's a design flaw and a safety issue. Forest river should do a recall and fix it. I love my camper but after crawling underneath, I think the frame is very low quality in design and especially the paint.
jaymemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #16
2016 Rockwood Roo 21dk

Well, after seeing this post and realizing I did the same thing went down to Home Depot and bought a couple unistruts, beam clamps, and bolts, jacked it back and and reinforced it.

Name:	1494096670126.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	136935
Old 05-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #17
2016 Rockwood Roo 21dk

Next thing is to find an automatic shut off nozzle like a gas pump to use on my water hose.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymemiller View Post
Well, after seeing this post and realizing I did the same thing went down to Home Depot and bought a couple unistruts, beam clamps, and bolts, jacked it back and and reinforced it.

Attachment 136935

Nice. I like this and want to do it for my Black and and fresh water tank. Did you have to drill holes in the frame?
Old 05-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #19
2016 Rockwood Roo 21dk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-minator View Post
Nice. I like this and want to do it for my Black and and fresh water tank. Did you have to drill holes in the frame?
No, just bolted on.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymemiller View Post
No, just bolted on.

So if I see it correctly the ubolts are around the unistrut and a member of the frame?

Tags
fresh water, led, tank, water, water tank