Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #1
Retired Panpsychist

Question Pass-thru Front Wall - Screw Length

I'm thinking of storing my jack/slide cranks on the front wall of the pass-through in my 23IKSS. However, I'm not sure of the wall thickness and do not want to risk damage to the outside front of the TT.

Anyone know what length screw would be safe to use?

Love to see photos of anyone who has done this!

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
KSH

I've had different models that had a small wood frame in there that I screwed the peg board to. If you don't have a wood frame I think I would glue one in there and use it.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #3
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
I've had different models that had a small wood frame in there that I screwed the peg board to. If you don't have a wood frame I think I would glue one in there and use it.
Brilliant! When my TT comes out of winter storage, I'll check for the wood frame. I suppose I could mount those tension clips (for screwdrivers and the like) or the "U" hooks with a bungee to keep the cranks seated in the U.

Just checked the garage and I actually have some peg board that may just do the trick!

Thanks for the terrific idea!

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Old 02-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #4

Look at what Rockwood Did for help...

I can't speak for the IKSS floorplan but on both my old 233S and my current 235S I took the que from Rockwood and found one of their false panel covers that were inside cabinets and unscrewed them to see how long the screws were that they used, and simply used the same length.

I added some panels to the front pass through of my 235S by making a triangle wood stick frame that screwed into the floor and then the inside cabinet frame and never screwed into the exterior wall. I believe you can see that in this picture here... the right stick is screwed to the cabinet and I have the leg going at an angle to the left meeting the horizontal stick that makes my triangle... and THAT flat stick on the floor has a single screw through it into the floor;

One final thought... on my rig I have easy access to the Rear Tail lights and market lights, and the hole that Rockwood drilled for the wires to come through allows you an easy view of the cross section of an exterior wall. I think if you can find something like that you might be pleased with actually how thick those walls are.

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #5

On my rig I used stick on hooks to hand the cranks for the slides has worked well
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #6
Retired Panpsychist

I'm gonna have fun when my TT is rescued from winter storage!

Thanks!

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 02-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebemis View Post
I can't speak for the IKSS floorplan but on both my old 233S and my current 235S I took the que from Rockwood and found one of their false panel covers that were inside cabinets and unscrewed them to see how long the screws were that they used, and simply used the same length.

I added some panels to the front pass through of my 235S by making a triangle wood stick frame that screwed into the floor and then the inside cabinet frame and never screwed into the exterior wall. I believe you can see that in this picture here... the right stick is screwed to the cabinet and I have the leg going at an angle to the left meeting the horizontal stick that makes my triangle... and THAT flat stick on the floor has a single screw through it into the floor;

One final thought... on my rig I have easy access to the Rear Tail lights and market lights, and the hole that Rockwood drilled for the wires to come through allows you an easy view of the cross section of an exterior wall. I think if you can find something like that you might be pleased with actually how thick those walls are.
Thank you for the suggestion about screw length. In my Rockwood, Forest River actually installed clamps in the outer wall for those handles.

I purchased a LevelMate Pro and I was thinking of installing it on the front wall of our front storage compartment. I should be able to remove one of those clamps to measure the screw length and use screws for the LevelMate Pro that will not extend any farther than those screws.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote