Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2016, 09:31 PM   #1

Picked up the new Roo 233S!!

Our big day was today! We brought home our new Roo 233S.

After arriving for our appointment at 11:30 this morning and having our walk through/orientationwe headed back home from Terrytown RV in Grand Rapids, MI with our new hybrid. Total drive time was about 2.5 hours back to Troy Michigan. The dealer set up the WDH, a Husky Centerline 800-8000 4 point, showed me how to connect/disconnect it, and off we went! The new tow vehicle, a 2016 F 150 3.5 EB towed the camper very well with plenty of power.

Our first glitch happened before we left the parking lot, although we didn't realize it until we were about a third way home. We realized we forgot to give the dealer the license plate to install! We drove on until we reached Howell where we stopped for a bite to eat. Couldn't attach the plate because we had to bolts/nuts, so we decided to continue on home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458957946.149560.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	102845

The remainder of the trip was uneventful. Backing into the driveway was fairly easy, although making the cut was a bit tight. Unfortunately I found that the chocks I bought, BAL 28000 tire lock chocks won't fit between the tires! That was about the time I realized all my wood blocks were in our pop-up, and that because my driveway has a fair amount of pitch my front stabilizers wouldn't reach the ground when the Roo was leveled out I really needed them! DUH!! Even dumber, for some stupid reason I unlatched the ball from the hitch before I lifted the load bars off the brackets. Couldn't figure out why, despite having really lifted the power tongue jack almost all the way up, the bars wouldn't lift off the brackets. Hopefully that will be the last time I make that mistake!

After finally unhitching we continued on to chock the wheels and shim up the stabilizers, first with bricks, then wood blocks after a trip to the hardware store, and we set it up and popped out the slide out and the front and side bunks, and the awning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458958783.341798.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	102847

We are extremely happy with the unit. The only issue we have found so far is a small chip in the strip around the small countertop by the dinette and the front bunk. Easy to miss and hopefully easy for me to fix.

Our first trip is planned for about 2 weeks from now, weather depending. We hope to season the bunk ends in the next few days and treat them after, Now all we need is some good weather and to sell our Starcraft pop-up!
MiCamper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #2
I go RV'ing not Camping

Congrats on your new trailer. It looks great
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #3

Congrats! We picked up our 233s 2 weeks ago and love it!!! We took it camping over spring break and it was awesome. Especially not being freezing cold at night in 40 degree weather.
Kaboingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:52 PM   #4

Congrats on the new ROO!
Old 03-25-2016, 09:59 PM   #5

Congratulations from a fellow newbie! Great pic of the Roo all settled in and the sunset lighting it. Here's to many more beautiful evenings with it!

RevKen
4.6L 2016 Tundra
'15 Roo 21SS

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
RevKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:43 PM   #6

Congratulations on your new Roo from another newbie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SDPadsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:41 AM   #7

Congrats! Enjoy the new camper!I hope it is a great season for you!
Old 03-26-2016, 05:58 AM   #8

Congrats and great pic!
Old 03-26-2016, 07:21 AM   #9

Congrats from Royal Oak!
ROCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:32 AM   #10

Congrats on the new Roo! Made the same mistake with the hitch on our trip from the dealership as well. I think I'm getting our Roo out of storage this coming week. Hope the weather starts getting better here in Michigan. Got a couple more mods I want to do first then probably head to Hadley Metamora the first time out for a quick shakedown run.
Enjoy your camper, we still love ours. We seldom see other Roos here in Mich while camping and usually get a lot of questions about ours, you will too. Welcome!
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:46 AM   #11

Thanks all! We were talking about checking out what other campers chose to buy while camping this summer, now that we are more educated on hybrids. We had little idea what they really were all about until just a few months ago!
Don't really have any mods planned just yet. One concern we did have was with the interior lighting. The idea of turning on 10 LED lights with just one switch while coming in from around the fire caused some concern! However, only 6 of the lights are on the control panel switch. The other 4-5 having their own separate switches.
Very nice, well thought out design I think. Even our concerns about lack of counter space doesn't seem as significant once we saw how much was available with the range cover down and the sink cover on also.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCamper6 View Post
Thanks all! We were talking about checking out what other campers chose to buy while camping this summer, now that we are more educated on hybrids. We had little idea what they really were all about until just a few months ago!
Don't really have any mods planned just yet. One concern we did have was with the interior lighting. The idea of turning on 10 LED lights with just one switch while coming in from around the fire caused some concern! However, only 6 of the lights are on the control panel switch. The other 4-5 having their own separate switches.
Very nice, well thought out design I think. Even our concerns about lack of counter space doesn't seem as significant once we saw how much was available with the range cover down and the sink cover on also.
Number 1 mod for us -not really a mod though were the PUGs and reflectix panels for the bunk ends for all the reasons everyone on the forum talks about. Can't go wrong with them.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #13

Congratulations!! Great picture and such a great feeling to finally have it in your driveway! We are hoping the learning curve with our new 23WS is not as steep as it was with our popup LOL.
Many happy camping trips to look forward to.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Congratulations!! Great picture and such a great feeling to finally have it in your driveway! We are hoping the learning curve with our new 23WS is not as steep as it was with our popup LOL.
Many happy camping trips to look forward to.
Although we didn't use some of the amenities of our Starcraft pop-up, like the furnace and the water and water heater, I think we, and you, have a huge leg up on the learning curve of the new units. Still, as was obvious by my lack of having wood blocks and chocks that work there is still routines that need to be developed. Practice makes perfect, so it's time to go camping!
Old 03-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #15

Yes it is time to go camping!!!
LOL - we used all our amenities in the HW pup except the shower and the black water waste tank. In fact our toilet was still wrapped in the plastic wrapping.
We are planning on using these in the Shamrock.....
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #16

One thing we did use was the toilet, although I, being the person who 'maintained' it, strongly suggested it be used sparingly as we always camped where bathrooms were available. Funny how few volunteers can be found when it came time to empty the honey pot;-} I think I lit the furnace twice, both times to make sure it worked, and the water heater once.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #17

Congrats on the new Roo!! We have the exact model, have had her since June. Biggest mod we did was the pop up gizmos (we call them bonnets), added window inserts to extend our season (well worth it) and added a few hanging hooks for keys and such, etc. Love love love the camper. Been thinking about adding a small folding island to add to the counter space as well.

rompinroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #18

Congrats! I picked up my 16 Roo 233S less than two weeks ago. I'm uncovering it today(put cover on for last weeks snow) and I'm seasoning the bunk seams.

Best of luck!Enjoy!!
RichDesiletsJr233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #19

Congrats on your new Roo. Brought our new 233s home yesterday, dodging Colorado snowstorms. Already started mods for her, but I'll post them in a separate thread.
taz_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #20

Congrats!! We have a 2013 21ss and just love it!! Enjoy!!
paddywagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s, roo