Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
Sham183

Pop up gizmos

Just a quick question. Are the PUGS worth it? My DW says not to spend the money I say we should. Thoughts? Pros and cons.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopwr4me2003 View Post
Just a quick question. Are the PUGS worth it? My DW says not to spend the money I say we should. Thoughts? Pros and cons.

yes they are. I did not use them in my popup - but wish i had. Did not really "need" them for temperature control (camping in the mid-Atlantic region)- but that early morning sun hitting the canvas would heat up the bed areas. and they really would have kept the tent ends cleaner - I was frequently washing the tenting after camping trips. I have them now on my hybrid and they work well for temp control, condensation, and really keep the tent ends clean.

cons: i don't find them very attractive (and people are asking me all the time if the tent leaks LOL)

I did not get the super high wind version, wish i had done that - i got the high wind version which has the small clamps and sometimes have issues with the winds, particularly when we took a trip out west. I put in grommets so i can now tie these down - works much better but the grommets are starting to tear the pugs. Will eventually replace them with the super high wind version.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
ycj

Worth it! Makes a difference on the inside temperature. My canvass looks brand new. Get the high wind version.
ycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #4

Quote:
works much better but the grommets are starting to tear the pugs.
get yourself a roll of Gorilla tape... not the cheap imitation duct tape, make sure it is Gorilla tape... tape OVER the grommets on both sides to sandwich the grommet, use a piece larger then the grommets that will grab onto the pug fabric, then poke a hole where the grommet is... this should help prevent any more tearing.
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
Site Team

A quick search on PUGs will show you a satisfaction level of at least 95%.
If cost is a factor, then buy 3 of the 5x7 all-weather/sportsmen blankets, from Cabelas/REI/CampMor/or internet retailers. They cost around $14 each.
One should cover the rear tent end with modifications.
The front tent end is longer and will need a piece of one sewn on the other one to fully cover it.
You'll need to figure out what securing system you'll use.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #6
Sham183

Pop up gizmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If cost is a factor.

Cost is not a factor really. It’s more along the line of I want to buy them and she says we have better things to spend money on. So I am looking for some backup to help sell my would be purchase [emoji16]
Old 09-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Cost is not a factor really. It’s more along the line of I want to buy them and she says we have better things to spend money on. So I am looking for some backup to help sell my would be purchase [emoji16]
Then do a search on PUGs and show her all the glowing reviews.[emoji6]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:19 AM   #8

I've had the PUG"s on my PUP and Hybrid. Excellent product and a very good company to do business with. My tent ends looked brand new. You don't have to worry about leaves, bird droppings etc.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:34 AM   #9

Quote:
The first and best purchase I made when I bought a new trailer. I've not regretted it.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #10

Few factors to take in consideration:

1- Will you be doing a lot of camping ? Here, in Maine, our camping season is about four months a year, compare to other places where they camp twelve months a year...... We rarely have extreme heat and don't go camping when we know it will be cold. Areason why we didn't get them.

2-They will keep your tent ends clean, but this is not an issue for us (short season)

3- If you have health issues like I do, it might be a struggle to install them. Another reason we didn't get them.

4-They are definitely not attractive.......Takes away the beauty of your hybrid. Another reason we didn't get them

Conclusion: PUGs are useful but they are not for eveyone.

Dre
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:53 AM   #11
Site Team

If you plan to camp in hot or cold weather, you will be glad you did. I had them on my PUP and liked them.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #12

Looking online I see them used a lot on popups. They start cranking it up and velcro it onto the inside of the top and then finish cranking it up. I have 2019 Roo 233S and the top is 8-9 feet in the air so not so easy. How are they installed? Do you need to get on the bed before you put up the center pole and velcro them on? Do you need to do this each time or can you install them once and when closing up the bunk ends just fold them in? I really like the idea of them but just a little confused about the installation. Thanks
2019 Rockwood ROO 233S, 1998 Dutchman 747SL, 1988 Jayco 1006, 2001 Skyline Nomad 3710BH,1997 Coachman Catalina lite 249 QB, 2001 Palomino Mustang SC
Wisconsin-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin-1 View Post
Looking online I see them used a lot on popups. They start cranking it up and velcro it onto the inside of the top and then finish cranking it up. I have 2019 Roo 233S and the top is 8-9 feet in the air so not so easy. How are they installed? Do you need to get on the bed before you put up the center pole and velcro them on? Do you need to do this each time or can you install them once and when closing up the bunk ends just fold them in? I really like the idea of them but just a little confused about the installation. Thanks
If you get the Velcro version, they can stay attached. If you don't, then they may have to be removed each time. If you get the Velcro added, they only provide the fabric side of the Velcro, you have to provide the hook side. I stand on the bed to put them on (I have the Velcro version).
I found that in high heat, most sticky tape Velcro do not stay attached to the camper, so I did use some small screws to keep the hook side of the Velcro attached to the camper. It attaches to a trim piece at the top of the opening.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #14

Totally worth every penny. I have the super high wind for my three Queen expandable 233s bunks, and besides the temperature difference especially in the morning when the sun first hits, It's also at least 50% darker in the bunk end when the Sun hits then without them, which is a huge plus if you don't like getting woken up with bright light in your bunk at 6:30 in the morning. I have mine permanently attached to my bunk end so I never take them down with industrial strength Velcro and double sided 3M Automotive emblem tape, and I also keep them permanently attached with a carabiner, so I don't have to clip and unclip them every time which saves set up time to about 45 seconds per bunk
Spocko1701a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #15
RV There Yet?

we no longer have our popup, but so wish that we had them when we did own it! your tent ends will bake you right out and any ac will struggle to keep up, even closing off the ends and trying to cool the box. one trip without them and she should be convinced that they are worth every penny! take it from someone who missed out on having them!
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #16

I've had a pop up and three hybrids. This last Hybrid we bought, my wife ordered the PUGs two weeks before we took delivery. We will NOT be caught without our PUGs.

On my Shamrock, I permanently have them Velcro'd to the top of the bed door. Only get the extreme high wind version. As a matter of fact, I ordered the velcro sewn in to the PUG before he even offered this as a standard part of the extreme high wind version. Lower the bed, and use a ladder to climb up on the bed in sock feet (to not damage the screen) without putting in the interior support pole. Then you can stand on the bed on the outside and install the velcro. I used 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive to glue the velcro to the camper.

I've used these PUGs in Canada to Alabama and will never be caught without them. Ask my wife, only one morning with that oppressive sun cooking you through the canvas will convince you to purchase them. One morning waking up to dew forming inside your canvas will convince you to purchase them.

Did I sell it for you?
47driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #17
Sham183

Thanks for the insight This will help me out greatly.

Just out of curiosity how do you permanently attach them without damage to the actual bunk canvas?
Old 09-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #18

I fold the bungee cords into the PUG itself, then fold. There is a bunch of extra room for the canvas and mattress on my unit so I'm not all that concerned. The PUG will wear out long before the canvass.
47driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #19

A better solution would be a double roof with an air space between the layers or an external canopy over the beds but I've not seen one on a Roo.

I bought a set of "Gizmos" nearly 20 years ago custom cut for our Coleman Bayside and have continued to use them on the Roo. Do they look great? Heck no, but we're camping, not entering a beauty contest.

They do an excellent job shedding external heat with the shiny side up and reversed they keep some cabin heat in the camper. Make no mistake, though, the bed end can still roast a chicken in direct sun and breath still make ice crystals on the ceiling if it gets that cold. Better than one layer of canvas though!

95°F Southern days; 40°F Northern nights.

These are not part of my 15 minute setup but an additional task. A couple dozen binder clips ($10 at Office Max) hold them on in any wind we've been in.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocko1701a View Post
***I also keep them permanently attached with a carabiner, so I don't have to clip and unclip them every time which saves set up time to about 45 seconds per bunk
Spocko,
I am curious to know more about what you are doing with your carabiners. Can you give a little more detail on this? I have the high wind version with the bungee cords attached but can't quite place what you're doing.

Thanks!

Tags
pop up