Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2023, 07:10 PM   #1

power tongue jack recommendation

Hi, newby with a question for my 2020 shamrock 233S. I purchased slightly used with a manual tongue jack, which of course, failed when I arrived at my site on friday evening. The pin that holds the crank to the gear gave it up. Made it home OK, but now in the market for a power tongue jack.

Any recommendations for an FIC-ETJ3500? It looks like that jack is on a roo parked in our RV lot. Any other recommendations? I'd rather spend a few extra $$ for quality than fight with some low budget junk.

thanks!
RollingRock1933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingRock1933 View Post
Hi, newby with a question for my 2020 shamrock 233S. I purchased slightly used with a manual tongue jack, which of course, failed when I arrived at my site on friday evening. The pin that holds the crank to the gear gave it up. Made it home OK, but now in the market for a power tongue jack.

Any recommendations for an FIC-ETJ3500? It looks like that jack is on a roo parked in our RV lot. Any other recommendations? I'd rather spend a few extra $$ for quality than fight with some low budget junk.

thanks!
Barker makes a good product. The one I have is a super hi power 3500 model
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:47 AM   #3

I put this jack on my Roo last October. Didn't realize until last weekend I couldn't open the hatch on my Expedition when the trailer was on the ball! Have no clue how I missed this during at least half a dozen tows and camping last year. (The hatch cleared the former power jack.)

Considering rotating it 120°. Will look funny but ...

Tongue jack

I bought this off the floor at a local RV shop when the former jack failed when prepping for a two week trip so I wasn't shopping around or comparing jacks. It works.

-- Chuck
Old 04-26-2023, 08:24 AM   #4

most every power tongue jack will do the job
as mentioned above take careful measurements to ensure that a truck liftgate will clear after installation...
YOUR TV and specific trailer has a lot to do with that some luck involved in getting it right...

I put a bucket over mine to help keep out rainwater when parked... although it is exposed to rain often during travel...
etrailer dot com will have many available with some reviews to help you decide... usually great service from them

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:33 AM   #5

can you replace the pin?
did that on my manual hand crank boat trailer

found a pin in the Hardware store.
Old 04-26-2023, 10:26 AM   #6
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
{snip}...Considering rotating it 120°. Will look funny but ...{snip}...
-- Chuck
Thanks for the idea, Chuck! My F-150 tailgate edge almost misses the jack head but contacts the up/down switch. I never use the jack light so I'll do some measurements and see if this will work for me!

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 12:09 PM   #7

On our mini lite we installed a Husky power tongue jack. Came with a remote keyfob that mad leveling easy. Could look at the level on the floor inside the door, and then use the keyfob to raise or lower to get it level.

Old 04-26-2023, 12:38 PM   #8

speaking of leveling, Levelmate is an absolute gamechanger.

https://levelmate.com/
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 03:48 PM   #9

Use roll pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
can you replace the pin?
did that on my manual hand crank boat trailer

found a pin in the Hardware store.
Use roll pins. Either this one or this one.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:22 AM   #10

You need a roll pin punch as well. Note the little nipple that fits in the hole in the pin. Driving with a flat nose punch will deform the pin and it may not set properly or be hard to remove when necessary.

Roll pin punch set.

-- Chuck
Old 04-27-2023, 08:39 AM   #11

I prefer solid dowel pins... even if I have to re-drill the hole to fit

have repurposed a screw driver to get a pin out
when was out of town and needed one bad enough
Old 04-27-2023, 12:48 PM   #12

Screwdriver is one of the universal tools and repair parts!

We once reconnected the forestay of a 33' (Tartan 10) racing sailboat to the bow fitting with a screw driver! Without this stainless steel cable the mast will fall over the side since it's stepped on deck rather than thru the deck to the keel! The pin and retaining cotter ring vanished during a race somehow. We discovered it on a downwind spinnaker leg when we noticed the forestay was just swinging loose since there was no pressure on it with the wind aft! No way we could even alter course or drop any sails without losing the mast which required us to fix it right there and then. Only thing we could get thru the holes was a big screw driver. Needless to say we sailed way past the turning mark while I lay on the foredeck searching for the pin -- it was long gone! -- and finally jamming the screw driver in there. All six of us needed a change of underwear. We were probably running at maximum hull speed all this time too.

Good times -- and a complete adrenaline drain.

-- Chuck

Tartan 10
Old 04-28-2023, 06:51 PM   #13

thanks for all the replies. The existing manual jack is salvageable, but I am definitely moving up to something more civilized! It seems like Husky, Bulldog and Barker all get great reviews - so its going to be one of those based on price/performance. Thanks again.
RollingRock1933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 08:15 PM   #14

Here's what I got

I have an older Rockwood 233S Roo. Here's what I got, and I like it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2014 Roo 233S
2023 Silverado 1500 Crew cab, 2.7L 4 cyl.
Oneonta NY
V8s4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 08:10 AM   #15

Cool story

" All six of us needed a change of underwear. We were probably running at maximum hull speed all this time too.

Good times -- and a complete adrenaline drain. "

I had to look up a couple of the sailing terms but great story.

Thanks
flookk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 11:35 AM   #16

Power Tongue JAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingRock1933 View Post

thanks!

I installed a Husky HB3000 on my 2014 Wolf Pup shortly after purchasing it new, at the request of my wife who was disturbed by the effort using the manual jack required.
In my research into tongue jacks, at that time, Husky was the only jack I found that specified the use of a ball screw. Ball screws are vastly superior to ACME screws, which are generally what you find in tongue jacks, as they have much less friction on the race than an ACME screw does on its threads.

Since then, I have had zero problems with the Husky jack. It is quite capable of lifting, with little apparent strain, not only the tongue of my trailer but also the rear of my Grand Caravan tow vehicle, if attached.
tgarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 11:58 AM   #17

Easy to hook up WDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgarson View Post
Since then, I have had zero problems with the Husky jack. It is quite capable of lifting, with little apparent strain, not only the tongue of my trailer but also the rear of my Grand Caravan tow vehicle, if attached.
You will get used to lifting the pair when hooking up your Weight Distribution Hitch. It's much easier to connect the chains or bars when you lift trailer and tow-vehicle together first.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 10:43 AM   #18

This is confusing to me as my power tongue jack is directly connected to the battery with one (1) wire, the red, positive wire with an inline fuse. The jack is grounded to the trailer frame which furnishes the negative connection.

Check your battery voltage.

-- Chuck
Old 08-28-2023, 11:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Considering rotating it 120°. Will look funny but ...
From Post #3. Didn't work! What looks like holes in the tongue and jack spaced 120° apart ain't. Jack only mounts one way in the factory holes.

Will investigate turning only the motor head when I get around to it. Anyone?

-- Chuck
Old 08-29-2023, 09:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
From Post #3. Didn't work! What looks like holes in the tongue and jack spaced 120° apart ain't. Jack only mounts one way in the factory holes.

Will investigate turning only the motor head when I get around to it. Anyone?

-- Chuck
Yes, darn jackholes!
They are unevenly spaced. Several people have had success with pulling the motor head off the jack shaft, turning it and drilling new mounting holes for the motor. Take steps to avoid drill shavings from going down in the tube.
I added the Jack-E-Up removable jack base. Required adding a ground wire to the power jack so I could use Anderson electrical quick disconnects. Worked great with my tailgate until I lifted the TT. Now even with the the jack removed, the tailgate rests on the Jack-E-Up base ;(
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power