Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #1

Pressure release valve

The pressure release valve on my 233s' Suburban water heater is a bit hard to open - is it supposed to have a lot of resistance? Afraid of breaking it before I head out on vacation.

Thanks.
fedrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It's should have a fair amount of resistance,

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #3

Thanks TURBS. It seems that the hinge is set where the bottom of the valve's switch rubs against the adjoining metal.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:47 AM   #4

And also - is it supposed to stay in an open position?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #5

Open position is when the lift tab is sticking straight out from the valve not flipped all the way to the opposite direction. But maybe you understand this.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedrocker View Post
And also - is it supposed to stay in an open position?
No, it is not supposed to stay open. It is just so you can momentarily open it or if you get it to stay in the open position, it will drain the tank spew water until there is no pressure and the water level reaches the valve level.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
No, it is not supposed to stay open. It is just so you can momentarily open it or if you get it to stay in the open position, it will drain the tank spew water until there is no pressure and the water level reaches the valve level.
I thought he meant without holding it open?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #8

You shouldn't lock it open for too long (i.e. over winter) because the extra compression of the spring will weaken it and you could start having leakage at lower line pressure.

I only ever open it when winterizing, after removing the anode rod, for a fast drain. Also when de-winterizing to get a fast fill via the pump or city water (purge the air without having to open a hot tap somewhere).

I've only ever had the pressure relief valve do its intended job when I've completely filled the system with cold water and then had the water heater come up to full temp without opening any tap during the process.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
You shouldn't lock it open for too long (i.e. over winter) because the extra compression of the spring will weaken it and you could start having leakage at lower line pressure.

I only ever open it when winterizing, after removing the anode rod, for a fast drain. Also when de-winterizing to get a fast fill via the pump or city water (purge the air without having to open a hot tap somewhere).

I've only ever had the pressure relief valve do its intended job when I've completely filled the system with cold water and then had the water heater come up to full temp without opening any tap during the process.
You can also get a fast drain if you remove the anode rod/plug and then go open all the hot water faucets. It will suck the water out of the faucet lines.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #10

Thanks - I am actually done dewinterizing (all the antifreeze drained of course). I am reversing the bypass on the hot water heater and filling it up. So I want to release the air pressure so I can fill it up all the way with water.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #11

Ok, yes, I drained all the antifreeze out of the pipes - then filled up my water heater. At which point I realized that I hadn't drained from the outside shower head ! Some pink stuff did come out. Am I in trouble ?!

Tags
pressure