Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2019, 07:05 PM   #1

Preventing post winter awning smell and mold

For the last 2 years after a winter of storage, when I opened up my awning on my Roo, the awning was wet, stinky and mildewed. I put it away clean and dry. I hadn’t had this issue after previous winters. Any ideas on how to prevent this when I store it next winter? I can’t imagine why this was not an issue in the past is now. I don’t cover my camper. Thanks for any tips to prevent it.
campnwithkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:07 PM   #2

I guess it depends on how much rain you get before you can open it. Mine often has brown marks and a less than pleasant odor prior to the spring washing.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnwithkids View Post
For the last 2 years after a winter of storage, when I opened up my awning on my Roo, the awning was wet, stinky and mildewed. I put it away clean and dry. I hadn’t had this issue after previous winters. Any ideas on how to prevent this when I store it next winter? I can’t imagine why this was not an issue in the past is now. I don’t cover my camper. Thanks for any tips to prevent it.
The problem I found was the water enters in the roller tube slots. I have tried with some fitting, that a piece of 5" pvc gutter put over the tube will help. Either you can cover the whole tube or just the exposed slots at both ends.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
Site Team

On my previous rig before I got a shed- I read here to take a gallon jug- RV antifreeze or windshield washer fluid-milk jugs are too flimsy- and cut a hole in the bottom the size of your rolled up awning. Cut a slit up the side and put the jug over the awning ends to keep rain from getting into the ends.
It sort of worked. Took some trimming to get it to fit.
This was a manual awning but I -think- it could work on a power awning too. Of course you have to remove it to open the awning.
WAIT- on 2nd thought maybe it was a 2 liter soft drink jug!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:19 AM   #5

Yep. Every spring I put on the "Wet Gear", make up a bucket of soapy water with a little bleach, grab the scrub brush and start scrubbing. Wonder why I even bother cleaning it in the fall.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:46 AM   #6

Exclamation

ours does the same, and I've decided that while the awning is 'rolled up' and I would expect it to stay dry, the reality is that drips of water during rain hug the edges and ultimately still make their way into the wilds of the interior! And, since you are not 'unfurling' your awning everyday to let it dry out, the water just gets caught there, and provides you with a great 'welcome mat' when you next get ready to travel! (spring time)

formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #7

I know you didn't ask, but I found a good way of helping clean the awning. Mix up the cleaner of your choice and dump it in a tank sprayer (the kind you would use for weed killer, deck wash, etc - the kind you pump up). Open the awning and spray the underside (top too if you can get to it). Before it has a chance to dry or roll off, roll the awning up. This helps spread the cleaner over the awning, top and bottom even if you can't get to the top with the sprayer. Let it sit for a little bit, then unroll it and scrub as normal. It comes off a lot easier and it has better coverage.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #8

Not saying ideas on keeping rain out are not good ideas but, I've found on ours, even when it doesn't rain, that it builds up sweat, or condensation, enough to be wet after being rolled up for several weeks. BTW, I live in Texas.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #9

I can't say how to keep water out of a rolled up awning but I can say if you clean it, let it dry then apply Wet & Forget you will be very happy with the results. I did this and every time i would open the awning it would be wet but no stink, mold or mildew. Always looked new.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, mold, vent, winter