Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 1
Prices for 2020/2021

Hi,

Iíve been looking at 2020 and 2021 233s hybrid models, both rockwood and flagstaff shamrock varieties. Iíve noticed that the prices vary wildly, from over $36k, to under $24k depending on location. Iím trying to get a gauge of whatís reasonable and realistic.... anyone willing to share their ballpark purchase price?


Thanks in advance.
Andrewjend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
PhD, Common Sense
 
eye95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Fairborn, OH
Posts: 1,265
Usually, the best prices will be 30-40% below MSRP.

Considering that it is currently a sellerís market for RVs, that demand is outstripping supply, that may not be a reasonable expectation any more.
eye95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #3
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 22,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjend View Post
Hi,

Iíve been looking at 2020 and 2021 233s hybrid models, both rockwood and flagstaff shamrock varieties. Iíve noticed that the prices vary wildly, from over $36k, to under $24k depending on location. Iím trying to get a gauge of whatís reasonable and realistic.... anyone willing to share their ballpark purchase price?


Thanks in advance.
Since you live in California, expect to pay the higher prices.
1. Because you're on the West Coast, where prices are 25% higher than the Midwest.
2. And RV sales are at an all-time high, therefore dealers don't have to negotiate in prices. It's a seller's market.

When we lived in Napa Valley, we drove to Chicago to get our new Roo. Saved $4500 over California dealers best price, even after trip costs.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: SoCal
Posts: 57
We live in the IE (southern cal). When we decided we wanted the 233S in 2018, we put it off. It was "on sale" for $26k at our local dealer and $28k at another (one was a Shamrock, the other was a Roo). We also put it off the next year, because the prices had gone up. Fast forward to May of this year and our daughter and her family came home to CA and we needed a new trailer. When we went to our local dealer, they were sold out of all the hybrids. He said they could have one in a couple of months for $36k. I had never thought of buying out of town and bringing it back, but I started looking into it that day. The supply was already dwindling at that point, and they were hard to find. We found 2 2020 models and a 2019 model in Turlock, CA about 340 miles away, for $26k. We also found a few 2020 models in Ohio for $25k. We bought one of the 2020s in Turlock, as the $1k savings in Ohio would have been negated by the drive. We did the entire transaction over the phone and through email/online. We were very familiar with the Roo 233S at this point, so there was no selling involved really. I checked our local dealer a couple months after we bought it and they had the 2021 Shamrock 233s in stock for $37k. So we saved quite a bit, in this market anyways. And our timing was very lucky. We had no idea what was happening with the market until we jumped back in, and then we moved very fast because it was evident we didn't have any time. Good luck!
__________________
Jim and Michelle + Family
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
2020 Rockwood Roo 233S
2013 Ford F150 SCrew, 5.0L, max tow
Old: 2003 Jayco Kiwi 23D
Jim_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
Grammar Pedant
 
67L48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Frederick, CO
Posts: 1,565
In addition to market prices (CA >> IA, e.g.), there is also destination.

My Ford F-350 was built in Kentucky. I you buy an F-350 in Louisville, KY, there is a destination fee of $1,500. If you buy an F-350 in Sacremento, CA, there is a destination fee of $1,500. Doesn't matter where you're at. Same destination fee ... sort of a socialist, pooled approach to accommodating delivery.

RVs don't work that way. RV invoices charge actual (or some burdened rate based on an actual) delivery fee. The plant might be in Indiana. If you look at the delivery fee for an IN dealership, it will be $0 to a few hundred. If you look at a CA dealership, the invoice will show several thousand dollars.

So, the identical trailer literally costs the dealership in CA more money than it does the dealership in Ohio. So, there's that, too.

I'm one of those guys that has more time than money. I drove from CO to IN to save a bundle on my last trailer. The one before that, I drove from CO to Wichita. CO prices are insane.
__________________
Every time you use an apostrophe to make a word plural, a puppy dies.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:49 PM   #6
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 22,986
IMHO, California dealers take advantage of the higher shipping costs by padding the cost, making more of a profit.
Back in 2006, when we bought our Roo, I offered the 3 California Roo dealers, to pay shipping costs if they just matched the Midwest prices. All 3 refused and said "if you want those prices, you'll have to drive there". So I did.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:25 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_74 View Post
We live in the IE (southern cal). When we decided we wanted the 233S in 2018, we put it off. It was "on sale" for $26k at our local dealer and $28k at another (one was a Shamrock, the other was a Roo). We also put it off the next year, because the prices had gone up. Fast forward to May of this year and our daughter and her family came home to CA and we needed a new trailer. When we went to our local dealer, they were sold out of all the hybrids. He said they could have one in a couple of months for $36k. I had never thought of buying out of town and bringing it back, but I started looking into it that day. The supply was already dwindling at that point, and they were hard to find. We found 2 2020 models and a 2019 model in Turlock, CA about 340 miles away, for $26k. We also found a few 2020 models in Ohio for $25k. We bought one of the 2020s in Turlock, as the $1k savings in Ohio would have been negated by the drive. We did the entire transaction over the phone and through email/online. We were very familiar with the Roo 233S at this point, so there was no selling involved really. I checked our local dealer a couple months after we bought it and they had the 2021 Shamrock 233s in stock for $37k. So we saved quite a bit, in this market anyways. And our timing was very lucky. We had no idea what was happening with the market until we jumped back in, and then we moved very fast because it was evident we didn't have any time. Good luck!
Hehe, I know exactly which ones you looked at for the shamrock... you went to FamilyRV in ontario, we did too and looked at it as well as Giant RV. For both of those places the Price was WAY over reasonable (IMHO). They are capitalizing on the current state of everything and have higher overhead to maintain. We also talked to Turlock. However, I chose not to buy from them. So we ordered from another dealer up north of us for a reasonable price. Glad you were able to get yours.
Wulfgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:24 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: SoCal
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfgott View Post
Hehe, I know exactly which ones you looked at for the shamrock... you went to FamilyRV in ontario, we did too and looked at it as well as Giant RV. For both of those places the Price was WAY over reasonable (IMHO). They are capitalizing on the current state of everything and have higher overhead to maintain. We also talked to Turlock. However, I chose not to buy from them. So we ordered from another dealer up north of us for a reasonable price. Glad you were able to get yours.
Yep, those are the dealers we went to. Also the Giant RV in Colton to look at a used 2016 model. It was in excellent shape, but they still wanted a lot for it, and the interior was the "older" style, which my wife wasn't having.

Between late 2017 and May of this year, we went to Family RV 3 times. The first, when we first saw the 233S, it was a buyers market, and it was a great experience. He walked us through every model we wanted to look at, very friendly and informative, no pressure, the price was fair even if the "sale" aspect was BS. The 2nd visit was to show our daughter and her family the trailer while they were in town. That was unexpectedly a high pressure sales situation and we left pretty quickly. The last time was in May, and they couldn't be bothered with us really. He was trying to get me to order one from the factory, but when I made it clear that it wasn't worth $10k+ to me, he shrugged his shoulders and left us standing in the show room. The change was kind of amazing. I''l likely be going to Giant RV for any service/warranty work I need done, although the sales team doesn't indicate how good the shop is, so who knows.

The Turlock dealer was ok. The price was fair. the salesman was kind of clueless and it surprised me how much I had to push the sale. But we were doing it remote and when we got there we found out the volume of RVs they move through there, so I shouldn't have been surprised. Once there, it was obvious the salesman and manager, 2 very nice guys who were otherwise great, really knew nothing about what they were selling us or cared what we were taking it home with. However, the shop mechanic who did the PDI was great! He went over every nook and cranny of that thing with me. The whole process took longer than we expected, since everything was paid and approved ahead of time, but they were crazy busy.

My only complaint is that they didn't dump the fresh water tank, or at least let me know I was towing it mostly full. Oh, and the WDH install was suspect, but I corrected that.
__________________
Jim and Michelle + Family
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
2020 Rockwood Roo 233S
2013 Ford F150 SCrew, 5.0L, max tow
Old: 2003 Jayco Kiwi 23D
Jim_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:20 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_74 View Post

My only complaint is that they didn't dump the fresh water tank, or at least let me know I was towing it mostly full. Oh, and the WDH install was suspect, but I corrected that.
Glad you got home safely with your new family member. We had numerous issues with the Turlock dealer when we talked to them. Changing stories, outright lies, many many other things I won't get into in this thread. Started doing a little research about them and it just kept looking worse and worse. So we decided to find someplace else to give our money. Suffice it to say, while I was looking elsewhere I stumbled upon a closer dealer whom has been really great so far. The price was reasonably good from what I can tell as well making it a far better decision for us at least than driving to Turlock. We were ready to go out of state to Idaho, or even Ohio to get what we wanted for a reasonable price. Ended up not having to do that. Saving a LOT of money over our local dealers.
Wulfgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:52 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: SoCal
Posts: 57
I forgot there was an issue with which trailer he was selling us. They had one model that had the standard dinette instead of the horseshoe and the 13500 ac instead of the 15k. I made it very clear, we did not want that one. Gave him the specific inventory # for the one I wanted. When the paperwork came back, it was the one we didn't want. He really tried to sell to us anyways. Talking about the other model is $1k more and paperwork is already done and down payment is processed and we're already approved.... I really had to push him to fix it and redo it. It basically came down to me telling him I would just cancel the whole thing and drive to Ohio to get the one we wanted. It wasn't really confrontational, just annoying, but in a different environment, I might've gone elsewhere.
__________________
Jim and Michelle + Family
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
2020 Rockwood Roo 233S
2013 Ford F150 SCrew, 5.0L, max tow
Old: 2003 Jayco Kiwi 23D
Jim_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #11
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 22,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_74 View Post
I forgot there was an issue with which trailer he was selling us. They had one model that had the standard dinette instead of the horseshoe and the 13500 ac instead of the 15k. I made it very clear, we did not want that one. Gave him the specific inventory # for the one I wanted. When the paperwork came back, it was the one we didn't want. He really tried to sell to us anyways. Talking about the other model is $1k more and paperwork is already done and down payment is processed and we're already approved.... I really had to push him to fix it and redo it. It basically came down to me telling him I would just cancel the whole thing and drive to Ohio to get the one we wanted. It wasn't really confrontational, just annoying, but in a different environment, I might've gone elsewhere.
That's the Best RV I experienced. Lots of BS and manipulation. And that was almost 15 years ago.
Doesn't sound like much has changed.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:57 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 11
We picked up our brand new 2021 Roo 235S in Nopomo, CA a couple nights ago. Well, we really picked up the most expensive monogrammed spatula I have ever bought... I guess I am a spatula collector now by default? Oh, and it came with a Rockwood Roo 235S so you can enjoy the Spatula in style... Anyway, Not a single problem dealing with the dealer. They remained communicative and kept us up to date on when the trailer would arrive (numerous delays on manufacturer side due to the current issues going on everywhere). Dealing with Finance, Sales, Delivery, etc was a breeze. The way it always should be. They fixed the couple things we noticed right off the bat while we were looking at a couple other Roo models which they had also just received, just to see the differences first hand. (Still kind of like the 23fk, however I think the 235S beats it out still at least for me). I have to say, the purchase and everything involves was literally one of the easiest and smoothest large purchases I have ever made. The only dealer that has ever come close to being like that in my life was 15 years ago when I bought a car from Longo toyota in So-cal. SOOOOO SOOOO glad we walked away from that Turlock dealer.
Wulfgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:23 PM   #13
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 22,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfgott View Post
We picked up our brand new 2021 Roo 235S in Nopomo, CA a couple nights ago. Well, we really picked up the most expensive monogrammed spatula I have ever bought... I guess I am a spatula collector now by default? Oh, and it came with a Rockwood Roo 235S so you can enjoy the Spatula in style... Anyway, Not a single problem dealing with the dealer. They remained communicative and kept us up to date on when the trailer would arrive (numerous delays on manufacturer side due to the current issues going on everywhere). Dealing with Finance, Sales, Delivery, etc was a breeze. The way it always should be. They fixed the couple things we noticed right off the bat while we were looking at a couple other Roo models which they had also just received, just to see the differences first hand. (Still kind of like the 23fk, however I think the 235S beats it out still at least for me). I have to say, the purchase and everything involves was literally one of the easiest and smoothest large purchases I have ever made. The only dealer that has ever come close to being like that in my life was 15 years ago when I bought a car from Longo toyota in So-cal. SOOOOO SOOOO glad we walked away from that Turlock dealer.
How much did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: SoCal
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfgott View Post
We picked up our brand new 2021 Roo 235S in Nopomo, CA a couple nights ago. Well, we really picked up the most expensive monogrammed spatula I have ever bought... I guess I am a spatula collector now by default? Oh, and it came with a Rockwood Roo 235S so you can enjoy the Spatula in style... Anyway, Not a single problem dealing with the dealer. They remained communicative and kept us up to date on when the trailer would arrive (numerous delays on manufacturer side due to the current issues going on everywhere). Dealing with Finance, Sales, Delivery, etc was a breeze. The way it always should be. They fixed the couple things we noticed right off the bat while we were looking at a couple other Roo models which they had also just received, just to see the differences first hand. (Still kind of like the 23fk, however I think the 235S beats it out still at least for me). I have to say, the purchase and everything involves was literally one of the easiest and smoothest large purchases I have ever made. The only dealer that has ever come close to being like that in my life was 15 years ago when I bought a car from Longo toyota in So-cal. SOOOOO SOOOO glad we walked away from that Turlock dealer.
Had we not wanted the 3rd bunk in the 233S specifically, we would've bought a 235S or a 23IKSS.
__________________
Jim and Michelle + Family
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
2020 Rockwood Roo 233S
2013 Ford F150 SCrew, 5.0L, max tow
Old: 2003 Jayco Kiwi 23D
Jim_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:21 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_74 View Post
Had we not wanted the 3rd bunk in the 233S specifically, we would've bought a 235S or a 23IKSS.
I really wanted a 233S to start for that third bunk. My wife was not really feeling it and wanted a 23IKSS and we went to look at that. The slide out on the passenger side took up too much of the area we like to hang out in (under the awning specifically). After that, we were looking at a 23FK. Which is nice too. I just think the 235S is more "us". So far, I am liking it.
Wulfgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Chuck_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 1,452
Unless you guys post paid-for prices there's no measure of "reasonable."

I bought mine from RV Wholesalers in western Ohio at a $5000 discount from what the local dealer in Cleveland wanted with his RV show special price. Been awhile but I'd still use RVW as the price comparison. They're only a couple of hours from the factory and pick up the trailers themselves from the factory to save delivery charges (or at least used to).

The trailer is coming to your dealer on it's own wheels if delivered or if you do it. Burning a week's vacation on a fun road trip can easily save you thousands buying in a cheaper market -- the trailers are all the same regardless of where you buy them.

-- Chuck
__________________
2006 Roo 23SS behind a 2017 Ford Expedition
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.