Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2021, 09:54 AM   #1

Problem with Roo Mattress hold-down Velcro

I have a 2020 Roo 23IKSS.
I was in the process of raising my bed platforms to close up the RV for transport and wanted to ensure that the mattress was positioned correctly.
I started to lift the mattress and noticed that the velcro that is adhered to the floor of the platform had been pulled off the platform itself and pulled/ripped the laminate that covers the wooden platform.
The only way I can think to repair is to use a sharp razor blade and cut away what has been torn loose and reattach the velcro directly to the wood. Cutting the laminate wood hopefully keep it from progressing any further?
Anyone else seen this problem? I wish I'd taken a picture, but the Roo is in the shop for a quick warranty issue. I asked that the mattress velcro issue get looked at, but I'm expecting they're going to tell me, "normal wear and tear".
- Jeff
js4ester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #2

Not the exact issue, but when removing the dinette cushions, I ripped one of the velcro circles and the screw straight out of the wood. I've hot glue gunned it back together and know to be very gentle with it from here on.

I've slept in 45 states and four provinces, but I have to start a new map for my camper!
EcoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:01 AM   #3

Quote:
I was in the process of raising my bed platforms to close up the RV for transport and wanted to ensure that the mattress was positioned correctly.
If you fold the mattress in half before closing it finds it's own position... never had any velcro on the bed

I got three beds and they all work that way.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:58 AM   #4

I have suffered the same "fail" on our current ROO, our previous one did not use this and instead had "button connections" at both the top and sides of the mattress. On our old ROO, all of those buttons took turns failing on me and had to be replaced with new ones. On our new ROO, the design appears to be instead a single strip of velcro tape that is sticky backed and applied to the bed surface while the mattress has the fuzzy strip sewn in place. I have patiently "unstuck" the crooked tape and attempted to set it back in place best I could and have generally "attempted" to avoid lifting the mattress too quickly, but that sticky velcro continues to come UN-STUCK from the bed surface, just like you noticed pulling the decorative wall paper with it sadly.

Unfortunately it presents as a poor design, mine had 3 or 4 screws along the length by the manufacturer which I suppose was intended to prevent what is happening to you and I but... it only holds where the screws are! To date, I have not thought up or created some way to correct this, and instead patiently attempt to "re-stick" that strip back where it belongs each time..... eventually I can see simply removing it entirely as I don't really see its purpose.... the mattress remains in place w/my ... ehhh.... "mass" laying upon it, and when we fold up to travel, it gets held in place by the tent fabric so... if it comes off again my thoughts were to just remove it and be done with it!

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:08 AM   #5

I may do the same, remove the velcro altogether and clean up the ripped out decorative lamination as best I can. Yes, bad design it seems.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:14 AM   #6

My 2009 ROO has snaps. The mattress has 6 inch straps with the snap on the end. If you're handy, order a snap kit on eBay and sew on a strap with a snap. The male side of boat snaps are designed to screw in. Just make sure your screws are shorter than the thickness of the bunk end.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
If you fold the mattress in half before closing it finds it's own position... never had any velcro on the bed

I got three beds and they all work that way.

nice not to have the bed velcro - our 2016 Shamrock has them from the factory. i don't really like them as i usually have to adjust the mattress slightly when setting up as they have dropped abit when stored and they do not budge until i lift them off the velcro.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:54 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
My 2009 ROO has snaps. The mattress has 6 inch straps with the snap on the end. If you're handy, order a snap kit on eBay and sew on a strap with a snap. The male side of boat snaps are designed to screw in. Just make sure your screws are shorter than the thickness of the bunk end.
So did 2007 Roo 23SS. Much better than the velcro but it was not pre-attached canvas. I have a feeling that when the pre-attached tent ends came along, maybe strap/snap system wouldn't work.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
So did 2007 Roo 23SS. Much better than the velcro but it was not pre-attached canvas. I have a feeling that when the pre-attached tent ends came along, maybe strap/snap system wouldn't work.
2014 newer attached tent system
I have the mattress snaps installed, but never really saw the need to use them on the front and rear...

Only the side third bunk mattress wants to fall out, but I use a bungy cord system to keep it in the bunk and not fall into the interior.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:09 PM   #10

I took my Roo in to the dealer to look at the velcro pulling off the laminate. They called me today saying that they were going to clean up the torn laminate and staple the velcro down. They'd better mind the thickness of the platform!
I'll let the group know how well it works and post a photo if it does.

Tags
roo