Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2019, 07:59 PM   #21

Just a couple of weekends ago ours went off also. We couldn't figure out why. Then we realized our black tank was full and the toilet was just flushed. Emptied the tank and the problem went away!
groomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:53 AM   #22

Also found out using hairspray in the area and other substances can also do it. Best recommendation is replace.
rogerkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #23

I'll bet you a bag of donuts that it is a weak battery.
2016 F150
jiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #24
Site Team

Propane detectors are sensitive to hydrocarbon compounds as well as other vapors. There are many things that will trigger them if the concentration at the detector is high enough. Thinks like hair spray, spray cleaners, air fresheners, body sprays, spray sun screen and even pet flatulence will set them off. It can be annoying when they false alarm, but the benefit of a working CO/Propane detector far outweighs the annoyance. There are several threads on FRF about the detectors saving lives.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #25

check garbage

we found out that the garbage can was too close so we moved it to the other side of the motor home and now it goes not go off any more
mr.dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #26

LOL, my friends dog was setting it of all the time.

Just may need to replaced. Real easy to replace.
Chief55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:03 PM   #27

My propane alarm goes off whenever my converter goes into maintenance mode which puts out a higher then normal charging voltage. My converter has a wizard that allows me to chose the charge cycle. I always set it to maintenance mode and then back to normal just before I go to bed. That way it doesn't alert during the night. Its usually good for about 24 -36 hours.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:18 PM   #28
2000 Wildwood 28RKSS2S

Dogs nearby sleeping? They are notorious for producing the right amount of gas to set them off😃
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #29

X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePK View Post
Hello, most of the propane alarms have a expiration date of about 5 -7 years. It should be on a tag inside your alarm. That's probably why yours keeps going off. Hope this helps
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #30

By the way hellow neighbor! It looks like your not far form me ay all.[emoji482]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
X2
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:43 PM   #31

I have a Safe-T-Alert detector . On the cover it says if it’s flashing green it’s warming up ,
Red/green fault or low voltage and lastly ,red,red / green green means end of life for alarm .
Depending on the type you have 2wires or 3 wires — the two wire is easy to replace and you can do it . The 3 wire means you have a cellinoid on your propane line that goes
that shuts your propane from the tank to whatever uses it in your camper.
You can order the one you need — from Amazon or others . Safe-t-alert ( the company) is the most expensive — you just need to know the Model number which
should be on the back , while you’re disconnecting to see if you have 2/3 wires.
To shut the alarm off just disconnect the wires —- if you have an onboard propane tank with the 3wire — you won’t be able to use your propane until the cellanoid is replaced .
2 wire no problem,disconnect and be sure propane is safe . I highly recommend having an alarm .
Ungechbub66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #32

Propane alarm

Don’t laugh to much. Mine was going off. Thought the detector was bad. Finally realized I had bumped my gas stove knob just enough it was slowly letting gas out. So it was an I D 10 T error. ( IDIOT )

Good luck
Tiger 4416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #33

Dealer replaced mine under warranty due to false alarms the first year of ownership.

After that it would give a low battery signal at times when the fridge (on 12V) was drawing too heavily on the battery during rest stops.

I am one of those people who later disconnected the alarm and use a separate CO alarm (fingers crossed on propane).

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #34

Propane Alarm

Funny thing is that when we first opened up after the winter, flushing our water to get the antifreeze out set ours off. Never happened before. Guess the fumes were enough to do it.
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #35

Propane Alarm

Hairspray would set mine off all the time.
johnsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:43 PM   #36

Propane alarm

Had to replace in 2012 unit, kept going off. Life span gave up
rogerramjet442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:14 AM   #37

My detector went out after only 2 years. Bought a new one, installed it and installed a cut-off switch so that I can stop the wear and tear on it and reduce battery drain when I'm not actually using the TT. Also, will be able to turn off the alarm should it go off in the middle of the night for no reason.
kisatchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:24 AM   #38

Had to replace mine in march kept chirping , when removed the exp. date was about 6 months over. had to bite bullet get one from RV supplier while in Yuma, about $15 more than amazon .
we sometimes use a gas buddy to take the chill off in mornings , bought a gas, safe-t-alert on line about $35 battery operated [change batt each season] just lay it on floor at foot of bed,
as i keep a spare 1 lb bottle by door in my tool bag. Had it go off a couple of times when gas buddy would run out of fuel while catching that last 5 min. nap waiting for tt to warm up..

haven't figured this out yet smoke alarm goes off when DW uses oven or makes toast on stove top , replaced still goes off , so when she does toast i pop cover pop batt. lay batt in cover lip leave hanging open
I'm 6-6 so will hit it when i stand up or walk past it so will remember to put batt back in.
larry5167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #39

Question

Once on a trip to Glacier Natl Park, about 1/2 there stopped for lunch and alarm was going off. Opened entrance door and vented and alarm stopped. On that trip, every time we stopped, the alarm was sounding. BTW, running the frig on propane when traveling to keep food cold.

Once got home, checked all gas fittings and unable to locate a leak anywhere. Parked w/propane on for weeks, the alarms never sounded. As soon as on a trip, they would alarm.

Both front and rear units replaced although not yet at 'end of life.' Made no difference, every time going someplace, they would alarm. Finally, installed push button disconnect switches on both and shut them off when moving. They never alarmed when parked.

This spring, again checked all fittings and found nothing. Used soapy water on fittings and even purchased an electronic propane sniffer, neither revealed a leak.

Final resort, went to an RV repair center to have it checked. $100 spent. They reported they did not find a propane leak either.

Next trip out, with the frig running on propane and the alarms powered, they did not alarm.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:53 AM   #40

Propane Alarm

15 years ago my parents were snow birding in FL and their propane alarm was going off. My dad (an electrician and mechanic) had checked everything and removed the alarm the night before and was reading the manual in the morning. Unfortunately there was a leak and a spark caused an explosion that ran through the heating ducts in the floor. Both my parents spent 3 and 4 months in the burn unit and both passed away. SO PLEASE be very careful! The propane alarm is there for a reason.
rlearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane