Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2019, 07:22 PM   #1

Pulled the trigger on a Hensley Hitch

Hi all!

So I have a 2017 Roo 23IKSS. Totally love the trailer. I pull it with a 2015 Ford F150 Supercrew, 3.5 Ecoboost. Totally love the truck. I have struggled with trailer sway ever since I updated to this trailer from a 2015 Roo 19. I had a BlueOx Swaypro hitch with 1000 lb bars.
Everything is fine on back roads, about 50-55 mph, pulls like a dream. But once I get onto a highway, anything over 60 would start my tail wagging. Not uncontrollable, but definitely two hands on the steering wheel at all times.
I replaced my tires with load range E, fooled around with trailer loading and weight distributing bar adjustments. I put a cap on the truck bed to help with aerodynamics. I went to a Cat scale, and got my actual weights, everything is where it should be.

We are looking at retirement pretty soon, and one of our things we really want to do is to just hook up and disappear for a few months at a time to see different parts of the country. There is no way I would want to spend all the travel days white knuckling down the highway.
I have known about the Hensley hitch and also the Propride, but the cost just seemed so excessive. Faced with the prospect of trading in the truck that I love and that certainly has what it takes to pull this trailer for a F250, or swapping out the hitch, I chose the latter.
I am an engineer, and I took a long look at the science and concept behind these two hitches, and they make sense to me. Both hitches work the same way, the primary difference is the way they are installed. The cost is very similar.

I chose the Hensley Arrow. They offered a 12 month payment plan, and 60 day unconditional money back guarantee.
No credit checks, just give them a credit card number and the payment will be charged in 12 equal payments. It comes with a lifetime warranty and oustanding customer service.

So for about $270 out of pocket the hitch was delivered within a few days. If I tried it and didn't like it, I could return it and not be waiting on a $3000 refund.
I put it on this past weekend. I am NOT worried about a refund! I took a 90 mile round trip on the highway to the closest Cat Scale, on a windy day, running about 65-75 mph, and once up to 80 just out of curiosity. Not once did I experience any sway, even when passed by tractor trailers. When I did get affected by wind, such as on a bridge over a river, the whole truck and trailer were acted on as a unit, the trailer did not sway on its own.

I know this solution is not for everyone, but I am very satisfied with the Hensley Arrow. In the grand scheme of things, $80,000 between the truck and the trailer and the safety of my family was worth the money. If anyone out there is on the fence like I was, give it a try, it works!
Misterpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #2

Love ours, would never be with out one again. Bought ours used for 750. Drove to StLouis from Erie PA to pick it up. Nice long weekend vacation and a terrific hitch. There are used ones doe sale from time to time, just need to keep an eye out.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
Site Team

I pulled my similar sized Roo 23SS, with a 2007 Avalanche 5.3 that only had 1357lbs of payload. I used a 4pt Equal-i-zer to tow with.
Living out West, never had any sway issues, even through the Sierras, Rockies, Cascades and Siskiyous.
If I had to buy a hitch that required a 12 month payment plan, I'd go back to pulling a popup.
But no denying that the Hensley/PP hitches are top of line and if you have the money, go for it.
But there had to be something missed, for you to need a Hensley to tow a hybrid.
I have a 2014 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost with Max Tow package, LT tires and 1828lbs of payload. I pull a TT that's longer and heavier than your Roo, with the same 4pt Equal-i-zer WDH. Still have never had any sway issues, even in the winter.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:32 PM   #4

What kind of tires are you running on your TV? A set of LT's would probably have been cheaper than the Hensley.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #5

I have a F150 Lariat with 20" tires, the Michelins I put on are not available in LT for my size, so I went load range E (IIRC). I have them at 40 PSI. My tongue weight was 14% of the trailer weight.

I know the Equalizer is a good hitch, I was actually leaning toward a Reese Dual Cam setup. I was also shopping F250's. The sales tax and 1st year excise on a F250 would have run me more than the Hensley. Plus, like I said, my truck is more than capable for the Roo. My SwayPro hitch was only 2 years old.

I understand all the pros and cons, but in all my research I never found anyone who has ever used a Hensley or Propride wishing they had saved the money and went with something else. There is a difference between controlling sway and eliminating it. I know it isn't for everyone.

That being said, thanks for all the input!
Misterpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #6

Check all the welds closely. I put a post about one the broke in my driveway and it had low penetration welds that were thin and one weld missing.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #7

Loved my Hensley

A few years ago we bought a new Coachmen Catalina. The trip home from the dealer was a white knuckle drive. We spent half of the summer trying to get the trailer to tow right. It got to the point where dw did not want to take the trailer anywhere. We bought a Hensley Arrow . It was night and day difference. We towed that trailer through the Rockys and to Alaska. There was never a sway problem. It was expensive but worth every penny.
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:48 PM   #8

We owned a Hensley Arrow for about 15 years and loved it. We towed for 10 years without one and wished we had spent the money back them. Recently went to a 5th Wheel Trailer and purchased there 5th wheel hitch. They made it very easy to return and provided a credit towards the purchase of the 5th wheel hitch.
Wlasota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #9

We have over 8000 miles on our ProPride. The piece of mind alone was worth every penny for me. Now I can relax and enjoy the trips.

Rockwood Roo 233s
F-150, Ecoboost, ProPride 3P
RooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #10
Harvey J 😊

Luv My “Hensley “😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpiano View Post
Hi all!

So I have a 2017 Roo 23IKSS. Totally love the trailer. I pull it with a 2015 Ford F150 Supercrew, 3.5 Ecoboost. Totally love the truck. I have struggled with trailer sway ever since I updated to this trailer from a 2015 Roo 19. I had a BlueOx Swaypro hitch with 1000 lb bars.
Everything is fine on back roads, about 50-55 mph, pulls like a dream. But once I get onto a highway, anything over 60 would start my tail wagging. Not uncontrollable, but definitely two hands on the steering wheel at all times.
I replaced my tires with load range E, fooled around with trailer loading and weight distributing bar adjustments. I put a cap on the truck bed to help with aerodynamics. I went to a Cat scale, and got my actual weights, everything is where it should be.

We are looking at retirement pretty soon, and one of our things we really want to do is to just hook up and disappear for a few months at a time to see different parts of the country. There is no way I would want to spend all the travel days white knuckling down the highway.
I have known about the Hensley hitch and also the Propride, but the cost just seemed so excessive. Faced with the prospect of trading in the truck that I love and that certainly has what it takes to pull this trailer for a F250, or swapping out the hitch, I chose the latter.
I am an engineer, and I took a long look at the science and concept behind these two hitches, and they make sense to me. Both hitches work the same way, the primary difference is the way they are installed. The cost is very similar.

I chose the Hensley Arrow. They offered a 12 month payment plan, and 60 day unconditional money back guarantee.
No credit checks, just give them a credit card number and the payment will be charged in 12 equal payments. It comes with a lifetime warranty and oustanding customer service.

So for about $270 out of pocket the hitch was delivered within a few days. If I tried it and didn't like it, I could return it and not be waiting on a $3000 refund.
I put it on this past weekend. I am NOT worried about a refund! I took a 90 mile round trip on the highway to the closest Cat Scale, on a windy day, running about 65-75 mph, and once up to 80 just out of curiosity. Not once did I experience any sway, even when passed by tractor trailers. When I did get affected by wind, such as on a bridge over a river, the whole truck and trailer were acted on as a unit, the trailer did not sway on its own.

I know this solution is not for everyone, but I am very satisfied with the Hensley Arrow. In the grand scheme of things, $80,000 between the truck and the trailer and the safety of my family was worth the money. If anyone out there is on the fence like I was, give it a try, it works!
. I had a beautiful but old Sunnybrook..for a few years, and it came with a Hensley Hitch, when I bought it. HMMM..strange lookin’ thing. I didn’t “ swipe it out” for the “ normal looking Hitch”. It’s easier, than all the other “ hookups, sway bars, ect. to me.We got a 2019 Rockwood Ultra Lite.......and Hensley is on it. Remarkable control.
2019 Rockwood Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #11
Broken Toe

Welcome to the club. Be prepared for 3 things.

#1 the greatest towing experience you will ever have.

#2 A constant stream of people telling you "If you just use Brand X hitch/weigh your camper/get a one-ton dually, you wouldn't need it"

#3 Having to constantly respond to questions about "What the hell is that thing" at campgrounds and gas stops.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hensley, hitch, led