Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #21
Site Team

Theo, unfortunately most are not like you and I. They don't take 2 years to do the research and investigative work. They also buy in the High Season for RV sales, thus paying more money than if they had bought in the Fall or Winter.
I too am not an impulse buyer, it took me 3 years before I finally decided to buy my new Roo and 4 years before I bought my new Avalanche.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:34 AM   #22

Thanks to everyone's great advice, we have pulled the trigger and have begun the process with RV Wholesalers! *crossing fingers* So far, the experience has been fantastic and the price is far less than we expected!
Camscrub17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #23

Posted this in a previous thread ....all the shopping/pricing we did we saw between 25 and 35% below MSRP really hard to compare because dealer inflate their MSRP to what they want ... did build sheets and the price difference between options was big and some had add on's for delivery/prep .... we bought from a national wholesale rep, her pricing was so much better I kept asking what other fees were not included she assured me that the quote + sales tax + prep was it ... we ordered it 6 weeks later showed up at dealer in Tampa price was exactly as promised. Best major purchase we have ever made, pricing was as much as 15,000 less than MSRP and 2000 better than next best price..... PM me if you want more info ... Thanks Frank
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camscrub17 View Post
Thanks to everyone's great advice, we have pulled the trigger and have begun the process with RV Wholesalers! *crossing fingers* So far, the experience has been fantastic and the price is far less than we expected!

congratulations! hope you get your camper quickly, that is is everything you want/need it to be and have a great time!!
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #25

Order has been placed and we will have the 235S shipped (no date set of course).

Has anyone dealt with this process of receiving a newly built RV sight unseen?

I'm already thinking logistics of how I'm going to have the opportunity to perform the inspection of all components.

I'm a tad bit stressed; haven't found much information out there!
Old 05-16-2019, 01:27 PM   #26

I highly recommend picking up the RV rather than shipping it to you.....that way any deficiencies can be fixed, and they can give you the rundown on all workings of the unit...
smgelsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #27

We considered making the trek from SC, but the shipping cost was impressively reasonable! I'm not overly concerned with how to use all components, just the overall inspection process once it has arrived at my home.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:34 PM   #28

If possible I would pick up at dealer after they prep and do a complete PDI before you accept delivery ... best of luck ... did you purchase from national wholesaler?
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
Old 05-17-2019, 05:29 AM   #29

We purchased from RV Wholesalers!
Old 05-17-2019, 06:01 AM   #30

I would think that taking off of dealers lot would be cheaper then ordering one? I would also pick it I'mup myself. We bought a new Cardinal 3825 off of dealers lot in September 2018. It was 2018 model and if we had ordered it would be a 2019 which we don't like. We took over two years to find the one we wanted. List $116,500 paid $67,500.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #31

Quote:
We purchased from RV Wholesalers!
We were in negotiations with them they have good pricing but we ended up buying from National Sales RVone they had no delivery charge and was sent directly to dealer in Tampa where we picked up our new Rockwood ... took 6 1/2 weeks to get there .... we were charged quoted price + prep $395 + Fl sales tax
Old 05-17-2019, 06:44 AM   #32

I myself would drive to pick it up. I drove to RV Wholesalers to pick up mine 7 hours. I found a few things that needed fixing before we took ownership, and with being there got them fixed right away. The delivery guy just delivers, they will not do anything besides drop it off, so if you have issues then you will have to deal with getting them fixed.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #33

You MUST get a price from WANA R/V we drive up from Fla to get R/Vs there you won't believe the amazing service there. Like a cruise ship service.
mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Order has been placed and we will have the 235S shipped (no date set of course).

Has anyone dealt with this process of receiving a newly built RV sight unseen?

I'm already thinking logistics of how I'm going to have the opportunity to perform the inspection of all components.

I'm a tad bit stressed; haven't found much information out there!

Yes to unseen. It was a new model that we had no walked. Just seen pics and a couple of similar units. Yes scary.

They will give you all the time you want. Try for an am walk through. Then you will have all day.

The part you are in now in the fun part....except the waiting.

Be advised. They will try and sell extended warranty. Usually Extraride. I suggest you research before you go...to be prepared.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:46 PM   #35
jkoenig24

Especially if you have no experience with RVs, do yourself a HUGE favor. Find and attend an RV BootCamp. Escapees, RVSEF, FMCA, RV~Dreams (and others) offer 2 to 8 day classes that explain and demystify, all the systems found on modern RVs. The longer RVBCs offer more social activities, the 2 or 2.5 day classes keep thing moving and don't waste your time. Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. RVBC graduates are smarter and safer RVers. Just DO it; you can thank me later!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
Especially if you have no experience with RVs, do yourself a HUGE favor. Find and attend an RV BootCamp. Escapees, RVSEF, FMCA, RV~Dreams (and others) offer 2 to 8 day classes that explain and demystify, all the systems found on modern RVs. The longer RVBCs offer more social activities, the 2 or 2.5 day classes keep thing moving and don't waste your time. Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. RVBC graduates are smarter and safer RVers. Just DO it; you can thank me later!

Mmmm. As in the accident on another thread.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #37
2017 WORK and PLAY 38RSL

Be prepared for issues!

I wish you the best with your new home. I ordered a work and play 5thwhl toy hauler, site unseen and then drove 18 hrs to GA to pick it up. I found small issues on the lot that were resolved before heading home. That is when the fun started.

After the drive home shakedown and 1st trip, I has 3 pages of issues including: improper cable routing, free flowing gas reg., shorted transfer switch(metal shavings inside), window valances falling off, improper gen. set wiring, handles missing, DVD remote missing, spare tire crank too short, garage bed not adjusted level, mattress tears, trim falling off, switches not wired properly, furniture hardware falling off, pull out couch secured by 4 sheet rock screws(until 1st use), battery disconnect shorted by too long screws, leaking shower, broken ramp door bolt, mislabeled fuse panel, uneven window shades, and a hundred more issues that I can't remember.

The hardest part was finding a place for service. All local in MD said to go F myself because I didn't buy from them. I had to contact FR corporate(Thank you, Kelly) and have them find a place in PA. There were still items I had to fix myself. I saved 20K by ordering out of state. I'm still ahead of the game, but QAQC sucks and if I was not mechanically inclined I would be under water. I love my hauler, now, but it took longer to repair than to build.

Set up camp on the lot and have the service/repairs lined up before paying. Test all systems, tanks, appliances, levelers, tire pressure, spare tire, power slides, beds, fans, heaters, sinks, showers, manual slide overrides, TV's, ... everything in the lot. Bring an experienced RVer & a mechanic with you, if needed, and make the dealer earn the commission. After all, they are supposed to do the final inspection and prep.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #38

+10 To directly above. YOU as the buyer sadly are responsible for quality control. Plenty of threads on poor quality on new rigs that got past the factory and past the dealer. Be prepared to do a very thorough check of all systems.

I like the idea of setting up camp in the dealer's lot. And there are independent inspection services out there too. Still, its all on you to identify the defects before you leave the dealer's lot. It may not be right, but its where the industry is today.
NC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #39
Ben f

The 235s is a very cool floor plan. Congrats! We have a 1 year young 233s and couldn’t be happier. If it was just the wife and I would be very tempted for that one. Enjoy!
benf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:10 AM   #40

Having a non-inspected camper delivered seems the worst option of all starting with the delivery driver -- ain't his trailer. Think he's going to be super careful? Did he verify tire pressures? Did he torque the lug nuts every 50, then 100 miles until they stopped turning? With a torque wrench? (Over 3/4 of the lug nuts were out of spec on our Roo after the short haul from Goshen to Lakeview. I know because I checked them -- the dealer didn't.)

The dealer and ultimately the buyer are the Quality Control stage in the manufacturing process. Campers, certainly trailers, are rushed thru the factory and the dealer is supposed to correct all the deficiencies prior to delivery. Haven't bought a camper in (darn!) 14 years now, our Roo 23SS is still mission capable.

We only had to travel 2 hours to RVWholesalers to save close to $4000 from the asking prices of local dealers. There is a long inspection sheet they furnish showing all the systems checks with a column for the mechanic's initials and a second one for the buyer. Money did not change hands until the buyer signed off on the whole sheet. If you're the kind who just signs without verifying expect trouble. RVW, and I'm sure many (most) dealers are only a short drive from local state parks. RVW actually recommended we book the weekend at a local campsite so anything later discovered could be fixed quickly just by bringing the trailer back to them.

Dealers should be very busy servicing new trailers for delivery this time of year and expecting a dealer you didn't buy from to put you at the front of the line is naive. Scheduled maintenance is often booked weeks in advance. The local Jayco dealer serviced my Roo every two years for scheduled maintenance -- but I booked the appointment months in advance.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote