Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2018, 07:41 PM   #1

Question on filling fresh water tank

Evening all!

So I’m using the fresh water tank in my 2010 Roo 21ss for the first time this weekend and can’t seem to fill it past 1/3 full. I’m sitting a bit off level with the lean towards the fill spout and plan on moving it to a slightly more level spot tomorrow to see if jay changes the situation. Am I overlooking something else?

Appreciate the help.
ozarkpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:48 PM   #2

Is it actually running back out or just gurgling and spitting back at you?

I'm guessing if you slowed your water flow it would fill up
Triple J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
Is it actually running back out or just gurgling and spitting back at you?

I'm guessing if you slowed your water flow it would fill up

It filled for maybe 2-3 minutes then started flowing back out. It was definitely more “running “ as opposed to “spitting”. I could see the water line by looking into the spout so it gives the impression that it’s full.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:03 PM   #4

The level detectors are notoriously LOUSY. Don't depend on them.

On a 2010 Roo, you should be able to actually see the water level in the tank. Look under the trailer and see what you can see.

You vent line may be plugged OR it may actually be full.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:38 PM   #5
Site Team

Get a dedicated fill spout that has a clear tube attachment and cutoff lever. The clear spout gets down the fill neck farther.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:52 PM   #6
Hal
Born 2 Camp

Water tank filling woes

Not specific to your model, but in my experience, not only are the level indicators of marginal trustworthiness, it is not uncommon for the factory (or service outlets) to do *ahem* STUPID things with the routing of the fill line. I've experienced issues with supposed *repair techs* who re-routed the fill hose in an arch, causing filling issues.

Even if you have that sort of problem, though, I've found a simple trick that helps with vent line clogs, etc. Use a short section of hose with a smooth cut-off end, put it over the vent hole, and blow into it (with the water source temporarily off and pulled out of the fill hole). I've found it is most often enough to break any bubble/backup and allow the filling to resume. When really ticked off, I've even used the fill hose to run water into the vent line, and that has worked (but I'd not suggest that approach - you're on your own if you try that!).

If it seems that the level is accurate, I suggest looking at the path of the fill hose to see if someone did something less than brilliant in routing it. In a pinch, though, the simple act of blowing into the vent tube a bit may be enough to allow you to continue filling.

BTW, I would NOT suggest using any kind of pressurized air other than your own breath - breathing our should be a fairly low pressure approach, and unlikely to risk causing any damage (but you're on your own if you try this!).
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
The level detectors are notoriously LOUSY. Don't depend on them.

On a 2010 Roo, you should be able to actually see the water level in the tank. Look under the trailer and see what you can see.

You vent line may be plugged OR it may actually be full.

I took a quick look this morning and it’s about 1/2 full so the gage is at least somewhat accurate. I’m going to further troubleshoot this afternoon.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:21 PM   #8

Use a nozzle

I have a rubber nozzle that fits tightly into the fill hole. You should be able to feel the air coming out of the vent hole. If you can't, then you have a venting problem. Under the front bunk, you'll find a partition that the water pump is hidden behind. Remove that, and you can see the fill pipe and vent pipe. Make sure they are clear. By using the rubber nozzle that fits tightly (with a pressure regulator) I have enough pressure to take care of any air locks. If you don't happen to have a rubber nozzle that fits the hole, you can wrap a shop towell around your hose and jam it in. That will work just as well. Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:59 PM   #9

Filling Fresh Water Tank

You might try something I started using last year.
For about $15.00 on Amazon, you can get a Rainwave RW-9FM LCD Digital Water Flow Meter. Just checked and price of this unit is $13.95 (06-29-18). There are several models of the same device at various price points but this is the one I bought.
You can find what your tank is supposed to carry and divide that into however many gallons you want to get into the tank and using this meter on the fill hose, you can stop the fill at the exact point you want to fill the tank too.
It is so much easier using the meter then guessing with the inaccurate "red dot" indicators many RV's have for the water tank.
I first heard of these meters on a "Love Your RV" post. It turned out an excellent idea!
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:04 PM   #10

When you stick the hose into the fill hole, don't turn it on "full blast". That can cause the tank to fill with air and then any new water to spray back out like it is full. I don't turn our hose on more than half and let it gently fill. Yeah it takes longer, but does it really when you are constantly battling an air filled tank with water spraying out at you.

Also, ballooning the tank up with air (like a water balloon) can also cause support straps and such to bend if you have them. It all depends on how the tank is attached to the trailer.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Not specific to your model, but in my experience, not only are the level indicators of marginal trustworthiness, it is not uncommon for the factory (or service outlets) to do *ahem* STUPID things with the routing of the fill line. I've experienced issues with supposed *repair techs* who re-routed the fill hose in an arch, causing filling issues.

Even if you have that sort of problem, though, I've found a simple trick that helps with vent line clogs, etc. Use a short section of hose with a smooth cut-off end, put it over the vent hole, and blow into it (with the water source temporarily off and pulled out of the fill hole). I've found it is most often enough to break any bubble/backup and allow the filling to resume. When really ticked off, I've even used the fill hose to run water into the vent line, and that has worked (but I'd not suggest that approach - you're on your own if you try that!).

If it seems that the level is accurate, I suggest looking at the path of the fill hose to see if someone did something less than brilliant in routing it. In a pinch, though, the simple act of blowing into the vent tube a bit may be enough to allow you to continue filling.

BTW, I would NOT suggest using any kind of pressurized air other than your own breath - breathing our should be a fairly low pressure approach, and unlikely to risk causing any damage (but you're on your own if you try this!).

Yep, turned out to be trapped air. A few blows into fill hole forced the trapped air out and I was able to resume filling. Appreciate the advice!

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank