Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #1

Questions about Roo 21SSL

We are outdoor enthusiasts, who currently tent camp, and haul our quads with a flat bed trailer. We have grown tired of the tent, and started looking for a trailer that can carry two quads. We found the Roo 21SSL, and really like the idea of the outside deck for our toys, since they are always covered in mud when we are done riding. We were told that the front deck on the 21SSL would hold 2 full size 4x4 utility quads with no problem, does anyone know if this is true?
I just ordered a new Roo 21SSL and am now have started second guessing our choice, and would like to get other opinions. My concern, since finding and reading this forum, is the towing and tongue weight. If I load two 700 lb quads on the deck, does anyone know how much of that weight will transfer to tongue weight? The salesman didn't know, but said the axles are far enough forward that only about 50% of the weight should fall on the tongue. Even at 50%, with the 350 lb trailer tongue weight, that makes over 1000 lbs. I have a 2007 F150 FX4 which is rated to tow 9200 lbs, well within the 7300 lbd GVWR of the trailer. I will be getting a WD hitch when I pick up the RV. We live in Arizona, and will be taking the RV up 6% +grades to the mountains.
So I am asking if anyone has a 21SSL, do you tow with a 1/2 ton truck, and what is your experience? With this truck, do I need to cancel the 21SSL and look at a more conventional toy hauler?
I'm driving myself crazy and need to know if I'm over thinking this and if my truck will handle pulling this up the hills. Am I over reacting, or should I just relax and patiently wait the two months it will take to get the Roo delivered?
Tech40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Site Team

there are only a handful of 21SSL owners here, but hopefully they'll respond.
as far as your 1/2 ton, you'll have to pay attention to its payload more than how much it can tow.

adding two quads will really add to the tongue weight but i'm pretty sure the other 21SSL owners use a 1/2 ton.

have you searched thru the forum for 21SSL posts?
i know there are a number of them in the Roo sub-forum. maybe some of your questions will be answered that way.

you might want to also post your questions, on RV.net's Hybrid Forum, which is the most active Hybrid forum on the net, since you appear to be pressed for time.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #3

I have a 2010 21SS, and it comes in under 5000lbs. I have a Suburban 1/2, and it does a good job towing on small hills. I am going to take it up to the mountains next year, so we'll see how it tows. I did notice once I fill the fresh water tank, the car struggles a little.
Jp_it_bikeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp_it_bikeco View Post
I have a 2010 21SS, and it comes in under 5000lbs. I have a Suburban 1/2, and it does a good job towing on small hills. I am going to take it up to the mountains next year, so we'll see how it tows. I did notice once I fill the fresh water tank, the car struggles a little.
the 21SSL has a long platform, in front, for hauling motorized toys, so it's a much longer and heavier beast.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #5

I have the 19L which is close to yours. Two fullsize quads fit no problem on the deck. I put a BF750 with offset weels and a grizzly 450. Sometimes I put the extra fuel and the chainsaw there too. You will feel it behind a f150 but shouldn't be a problem. I have a 2006 GMC 1500 HD and haul a quad in the truck too and no problems. Just stop lots for fuel! I weighed mine and it was at 7200 lbs full of water and fully loaded. The 21SSL has tons of room in it. You'll love it!!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #6

Forgot to add that I camp mostly in the mountains.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #7

Hi Tech40. I have a 2013 21ssl that I pull with a 2005 Hummer H2. I live in CO and have loaded my front deck with 2 Honda 350 Ranchers, fuel and gear. With everything loaded down water, fuel, kids, etc, i'm still able to pull the trailer with no problems. I'm not going to win any speed races, but the trailer pulls nicely behind my rig. I do have the E2 equalizer set up to make everything level and stable. My H2 has air ride suspension in the rear (airbags) so that definitly helps keep my H2 level also. Make sure you have some type of Equalizer hitch to keep the ass-end of your F-150 from draggin. Maybe some aftermarket airbags or helper springs to keep everything level.

Your F150 has more towing capacity than my H2 so you shouldn't have anything to worry about there. Any questions don't hesitate to PM me. I'll help you however I'm able to.
sirbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Broken Toe

Proud 21ssl owner here.

The deck will haul 1400 or 1500 lbs. Two 4x4 atv's are within the limit. You will definatly want a WDH with sway. I have a reese dual-cam and it works great.

You wont regret the ssl. I may only use the deck 10% of the time, but man, its handy to have.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21ssl, f150, towing