Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #1

Questions about the 21DK

My wife and I currently own a 2001 Coleman Utah Pop-up. My family loves it, but my wife feels bad because she sees all the work that I do packing, unpacking, setting up, and breaking down camp. I have to admit it does get old having to open up the entire camper just to load up the fridge for a trip. Or break down camp just to get home and set everything up again to clean and then close it up again when done. It would be nice to have something that all I have to do is unlock the door to load it, unpack, clean, etc. We have been camping for about 6 years now with the kids, 3 years in tents, and into our third year in the pop-up. I have a good idea of what I want but due to living in town I have a space restraint on what I can store. My parking pad is about 22'x10' and ends in an ally. I can't expand it any further into my yard as it ends in an open patio area that is off my detached garage. I would love to get something with the front deck for carrying a golf cart in the future but It just doesn't look to be in the cards due the length. Basically I don't want to lose any of the space or functionality that we currently have the Utah and of course I'd like to gain some functionality.

The 21DK seems to fit all the items that we are looking for in a new camper but I have some questions on the specs that are listed.

Length is listed at 21'9", is that bumper to tongue? This is an important one as it will determined if I can store on my parking pad.

If that is bumper to tongue what is the inside length? The Utah that we currently own is a 14' box inside. I don't want to go smaller then that, I also don't want to lose the slide out we currently have as I see how much space that really adds to the interior.

The Utah also has 4 sleeping area's total 2 king size bunk ends and the table and couch each fold out/down into approx a twin size bed. Are the fold down ends in the Roo king size? Besides the two fold down ends what other bedding is available? This would be a big deal when each of our kids has friends come camping with us.

I love the idea of the outdoor kitchen, friends of ours just bought a 5th wheel with one. How is the kitchen in the 21DK? Obviously it's not as big as the large campers, I guess my question is how functional is it?

I don't believe towing should be an issue. I have a 2002 Avalanche 2500 with the 8.1L rated at towing 10k lbs with my current gearing. But I am wondering if anyone is pulling one with something similar if they can comment on if they felt the need for a WDH, sway control, or both. I do currently use a sway bar with the pop-up, for some reason this model had a lot of weight in the rear and it does sway a lot.

HostileJava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #2

Our first camper was a Utah. As you noted it was a terrible tow!! Swayed all over the road unless it was packed with most of the weight up front. Your Roo will be a much better tow! You will need a weight distribution hitch. Buy one with integrated anti-sway and you won't regret it. If I recall the Utah was a 12' box, not a 14, but I could be mistaken.
The beds are smaller in the Roo, more a queen size, but IMHO much more comfortable. I am sure the dinette converts as well. If you require more sleeping capacity maybe look at a 183? We love our 233S, but it is longer than your requirements.
MiCamper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCamper6 View Post
Our first camper was a Utah. As you noted it was a terrible tow!! Swayed all over the road unless it was packed with most of the weight up front. Your Roo will be a much better tow! You will need a weight distribution hitch. Buy one with integrated anti-sway and you won't regret it. If I recall the Utah was a 12' box, not a 14, but I could be mistaken.
The beds are smaller in the Roo, more a queen size, but IMHO much more comfortable. I am sure the dinette converts as well. If you require more sleeping capacity maybe look at a 183? We love our 233S, but it is longer than your requirements.
You may be right about 12', I might be including the storage box in the front in my measurement.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:55 AM   #4

If your new camper is longer, could you angle it in when you park by the garage? Also, your car will tow the new one just fine, I can't answer for outdoor kitchen but it would be nice to have sometimes. Let us know what way you go, I really like my new 23ws, but it is too long for your yard I guess.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #5

Concerning the kitchen, all Roo or Shamrock kitchens are fully functional and contain the same components. The biggest differences between the models are counter space and storage. Obviously the larger ones will have more counterspace and some have a pantry. My ikss has an island and storage space is awesome, but it's too long for your parking pad.
Like micamper said, take a look at a 183. It won't be as large as the 21dk but it will provide you with 4 sleeping areas. And with 3 beds, there may be times when you don't need to use the dinette for sleeping.
Another option would be a 21ss. Only 2 beds but it has a sofa and dinette for 4 sleeping areas. Plus the slide gives it a huge open floorplan.
Lots of choices.....good luck.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
If your new camper is longer, could you angle it in when you park by the garage? Also, your car will tow the new one just fine, I can't answer for outdoor kitchen but it would be nice to have sometimes. Let us know what way you go, I really like my new 23ws, but it is too long for your yard I guess.
Thanks for the response. I could probably angle it to get another foot or so of space, but there is a sidewalk and landscaping between the garage and parking pad and if I hang it to far off the other end it will either be hanging over grass making it a pain in the ass to mow or getting a little to close to the fire pit in the middle of that patio area behind it(at least for my liking).

Quote:
Concerning the kitchen, all Roo or Shamrock kitchens are fully functional and contain the same components. The biggest differences between the models are counter space and storage. Obviously the larger ones will have more counterspace and some have a pantry. My ikss has an island and storage space is awesome, but it's too long for your parking pad.
Like micamper said, take a look at a 183. It won't be as large as the 21dk but it will provide you with 4 sleeping areas. And with 3 beds, there may be times when you don't need to use the dinette for sleeping.
Another option would be a 21ss. Only 2 beds but it has a sofa and dinette for 4 sleeping areas. Plus the slide gives it a huge open floorplan.
Lots of choices.....good luck.
There may have been a little confusion surrounding how I worded the kitchen question. My questions was more in regards to the outdoor kitchen area. We rarely cook inside so I really like the idea of having access to an outdoor fridge/grill and storage area for plates and utensils. I did look at the 183, but would really prefer the slide out as we currently have one in our Utah. I also looked at the 21ss, but I believe it would be to long and also does not include the outdoor kitchen as far as I can tell.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #7

Sounds like you picked the perfect camper for you, mine sits in the middle of my back yard and I have to mow all the way around it. I think it takes 3 min to weed wack the whole thing. No prob for me, just make sure you get the one that fits your camping needs, that is what is important. What is perfect for you might not fit my needs. Good luck on your choice!
Old 06-29-2016, 02:11 AM   #8

I love my dk...love it. It has tons of interior kitchen counter space, primarily behind the sink and stove. The bathroom is huge for the camper size.

The interior dinette makes a great bed as it is very long. Probably only suitable for one adult but maybe 2 kids. It is also not in the way at all, in fact I often leave mine set up as a day bed for entire trips.

The outdoor kitchen is basically just the hang on grill and shelf. The nice extra is the outdoor fridge, which is great for the grill stuff and it cools down way quicker than the main fridge. I do bring a portable table.

99 percent sure it is 21'9 bumper to bumper but can't measure. Almost positive.

The whole camper is sort of exactly what you need, nothing you don't. If I miss one thing it would be an actual sofa, but that is the only thing and I can solve that with the day bed.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
99 percent sure it is 21'9 bumper to bumper but can't measure. Almost positive..
Does that mean you are not including the tongue?
Old 06-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #10

Sorry it is at the storage or I would just measure it. I just remember when I was shopping I wrote to forest river support about this exact question and they got back to me within hours with the exact measurements....too bad i didn't save that email! I am almost sure it is bumper to tongue, not including spare tire.

I can measure it for ya but it might be a few days...support at forest river might be quicker.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
Sorry it is at the storage or I would just measure it. I just remember when I was shopping I wrote to forest river support about this exact question and they got back to me within hours with the exact measurements....too bad i didn't save that email! I am almost sure it is bumper to tongue, not including spare tire.

I can measure it for ya but it might be a few days...support at forest river might be quicker.
Thanks for the quick response. I think we are going to head to the dealer this weekend to check some campers out. I will be sure to bring my measuring tape. Honestly though, I think my mind is made up. I can't seem to find anything else on the market with these exact features unless I am missing something.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #12
Site Team

As far as I know, all the Roo/Shamrocks are tongue to bumper and length specs are pretty accurate.
One of the few brochure/website specs that are accurate.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:15 PM   #13

We love our 2-DK. This is our 3rd summer with it and have haven't had any problems. The 2-DK has 2 full size queen beds and the dining table makes into an extra long bed between single and full size. The outdoor kitchen consists of the grill that mounts on the side of the trailer plus a shelf that mounts on the same bracket and a small refrigerator in the side garage.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #14

I just measured our 21DK and I have 21feet 9 inches from bumper to end of hitch. Love ours out in it right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Robs1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs1968 View Post
I just measured our 21DK and I have 21feet 9 inches from bumper to end of hitch. Love ours out in it right now.

Thank you! You have alleviated my biggest concern.
- 2001 Coleman Utah (SOLD)
Old 06-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostileJava View Post
Thank you! You have alleviated my biggest concern.

Glad I could help we are out on vacation and it was easy for me to take a quick measurment

Old 08-13-2016, 09:47 PM   #17
2016 Rockwood Roo 21dk

Just bought a 21dk last week. We looked at 23ws, 21ss, but decided on the 21dk because it was almost 700lbs lighter. And to tell you, we bought it online, but knew the kitchen was the same as a 23ws and the table. No regrets, I actually like it better than the 21ss we looked at. But I'd rather not have the mini fridge, don't make sense when you don't have shore power where we go most of the time. I took the fridge out and use that for storage. I feel the 21dk has a nicer bathroom and has more useful cabinets and better kitchen area than the 21ss. You lose the couch in a 21dk but table is bigger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1471142288309.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	117170  
jaymemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #18

Looks great enjoy we love our 21DK have no complaints

Old 08-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #19

Questions about the 21DK

I fit my 233s in our parking pad, the 233s is 23', hitch to bumper. We love the 3 pop out beds as my wife and are two kids take a sister-in-law or grandparents camping often and like the idea of not have to unset the table or couch into a bed very often. I did a list of exactly what we needed and what we wanted before I bought. Could not be happier with our purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tizzards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:10 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzards View Post
I fit my 233s in our parking pad, the 233s is 23', hitch to bumper.
Unfortunately you're incorrect.
The FR specs state that the 233S is 25' 3" hitch to bumper.
Many assume that their trailer is the length that's in their model number.
Trailers are nearly always longer than the number in their model number.

My 23SS is 24' 6" hitch to bumper.

Some brochure/website specs are infamous for being wrong but length specs are almost always accurate.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote