Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #1

Re-Openning the "Anti-sway/WD" Discussion

I have read for months and made a decision on the 233S Roo to be delivered next month. I am a popup owner and know a little about towing. I have a 5.7 hemi Dodge Aspen with a factory tow pkg. The Roo saleman has seen my TV and claims, it is one of the best TVs he has seen. He claims I will need little in extra anti-sway/wd equipment and, if I want, he'll have basic anti-sway bars ($129) installed when we do the "walk through". Obviously, he could sell me top of the line equipment, since I know little about the sway/wd issues. I have read so many opinions regarding the brands available, but nothing relating to my specific question. If I am looking for the smoothest, SAFEST ride, any opinions? Is it worth paying $$$ for Reese or Equalizer systems, if the saleman is saying it is not needed?
UPGRADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Site Team

there's no way i'd would tow without a good WDH.
i love my Equalizer. no drilling and once it's set up, you don't have to mess with it again.
for me, a quality WDH with built-in sway control was worth the $400.

don't believe the salesman telling you that you don't need a WDH.
check your owner's manual for the tongue amount that requires you to use one.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
there's no way i'd would tow without a good WDH.
i love my Equalizer. no drilling and once it's set up, you don't have to mess with it again.
for me, a quality WDH with built-in sway control was worth the $400.

don't believe the salesman telling you that you don't need a WDH.
check your owner's manual for the tongue amount that requires you to use one.
X2 on the Equalizer!
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #4

Wdh

I agree, you need a weight distribution hitch, as far as anti-sway, equalizer is an excellent product. But if you need to go a little cheaper, the set up the salesman suggested is all right as long as the weight is ok and a friction type anti sway bar is added,it would do the job for you almost as well. I tow a 6000lb trailer and that is the type of set up I use and it works fine,IMHO.

Dennis
F'ton N.B. Canada
dennis5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I remember the Dodge Aspen as a compact from the 70's. Guess I'm showing my age

Anyhoo. I'd go with the Equal'i'zer or Reese Dual Cam. Either would address your need for smooth and safe (properly setup). Its true that they are both more expensive than the alternative, but you asked for safety first.

About your truck. Your SUV has a big engine and a good frame for towing, but its lighter than the truck I use and has a shorter wheel base. I wouldn't tow my 233S with anything less than an Equal'i'zer or Reese Dual Cam.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #6

Thank you for the info. I try to be "clever" with responses, but this has worked for along time (showing my age): Better safe than sorry.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

I totally agree on getting a quality WD hitch with sway control built in. THe Equalizer and Reese Dual cam are great but so is the Blue Ox Sway Pro and it is very quiet in it's operation as an added bonus and the new rotary snap up brackets are the best I have seen.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Several suggestions.

Take the wheelbase (in inches) of the Aspen, divide by 5, and make sure that the Roo footage is under that.

Check to make sure your Aspen came with a heavy duty tow package.

Check your hitch sticker, to make sure it will pull and carry the tongue weight of the Roo.

Call your Dodge dealer, give him your VIN, see what final drive ratio you have, and ask what your Aspen is rated to tow. Make sure that the recommended maximum tow capacity is over the GVWR of the Roo. Just because there is a 5.7 L Hemi, does not mean you have the gearing, or the frame to pull that trailer.

Find another salesman.....the current 1 is feeding you a line just to sell you a trailer. A fairly short wheelbased SUV is definitely not the best TV out there.....although it may work well after doing your research.

If everything lines up OK, get a WDH with integrated sway control, such as the Equalizer, Reese Straight Line Dual Cam, or Blue Ox. Another reason to find another salesman.......a conventional travel trailer should not go out the door with without a WDH and sway control. You stated the salesman will set you up with a sway control (friction bar ??), but nothing about a WDH.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPGRADER View Post
I have a 5.7 hemi Dodge Aspen with a factory tow pkg.
Huh ?? The Dodge Aspen was made in the late 70s. The Chrysler Aspen was made from about 2007 to 2009....I think. -

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Huh ?? The Dodge Aspen was made in the late 70s. The Chrysler Aspen was made from about 2007 to 2009....I think. -
That's what i thought, too. Maybe they brought it back?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
That's what i thought, too. Maybe they brought it back?

Now that brings back some memories
Old 09-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #12

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
I vote for a Hensley Arrow Trailer "No-Sway" WD hitch..........and its orange too !

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
I vote for a Hensley Arrow Trailer "No-Sway" WD hitch..........and its orange too !
The Hensley is nice but a very expensive set up. Have you ever felt sway while using it? They claim ZERO sway in their sales lit.

I have been happy so far with the Eqaulizer Hitch, I have only felt a tug on a rare occassion, otherwise no sway from this hitch when set up properly. And that is the Key to a safe tow, you must have the hitch set up correctly.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #14

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
I had an Equalizer 4pt and I loved it so I thought until I bought the Hensley Arrow, There is no-sway and It pulls like a dream ! It's worth every penny. Either one is good the Hensley Arrow or The Pro-Pride 3P.

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
I had an Equalizer 4pt and I loved it so I thought until I bought the Hensley Arrow, There is no-sway and It pulls like a dream ! It's worth every penny. Either one is good the Hensley Arrow or The Pro-Pride 3P.
Good to hear real world feedback, thanks!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #16

Upgrader,

My situation was very similar to yours so I will give you my experience.

I had a pop-up before we purchased a 2012 Roo 23SS.

The pop-up that we had was a Coleman/Fleetwood Niagara, which is one of the bigger and heavier pop-ups in the market. I have towed the pop-up with an 5.0L V8 Explorer, 4.6L V8 F150 Super Crew and a Dodge Durango V8 5.7L Hemi all with factory tow packages. My current TV is the Durango (similar to your Aspen).

While the F150 was the best for towing and the Explorer the worst, I was comfortable towing the Niagara pop-up with the Durango equipped with just a Draw-Tite Friction sway bar. The pop-up sat nice and level behind the TV and there was none or very minimal sway experienced even when large tractor trailers passed me on the highway or on very windy days.

I have checked the GCWR, GVWR, etc, etc for my current Durango and (at least on paper), I have enough margin to tow the 23SS with my family and the equipment that we take on our trips. When we bought the 23SS, the dealer tried to talk me into a Husky WD/Friction Sway Bar set-up for $450 or a Husky Centerline for $750 but I politely turned down their offer. They (salesman and dealership owner) had nothing good to say about the Equalizer -- called it a "POS". This dealership would not install or let me install any other WD/Sway on their lot so I just put the trailer on my TV hitchball and drove it home. No big deal there.

After I brought the trailer home, I towed (test drives) the 23SS without any WD/Sway bar and with a Friction Sway Bar to see what set-up I would be comfortable with. I quickly realized that I needed/wanted a WD/Sway Bar set-up to feel comfortable with the Durango/Roo 23SS combo.

I am currently using the Equalizer WD/Sway hitch (purchased from RVW for $439 shipped) and am very pleased with the set-up. The trailer sits nice and level (slight nose down) and, so far, I have not experienced any handling or sway problems. Set-up was easy, took me at most 1 hour to get the whole thing done. The hardest part of the Equalizer set-up is torquing the hitchball to 450 ft-lbs!!

Regarding the Durango as a TV, I am OK with it as I live in Michigan and most of my towing is on flat lands or rolling hills.
rnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #17

The 5:1 wb/tt length is a good idea but just a rule of thumb - almost an internet myth as it's quoted often but nobody has ever identified the source of the 'science' behind it.

I tow a 28' TT with an expedition ( a tad bigger than your aspen from what little I know of aspens) and I opted for a reese dual cam - I can't compare others but I have towed many a smaller trailer with no wd/anti-sway and all the small trailers were felt more by my butt and passengers than this big trailer.

I've towed it through a number of construction zones (any that's driven the PA turnpike can attest to the never-ending work they do there) and some lanes are barely more than the TT and uneven pavement - and never an issue. Been passed by several big rigs - my minivan sways more than the expy/trailer combo.

Not sure about the friction anti-sway, but I don't have to remove anything to back up.

It was easy to install (bought it mail order) and setup. Well worth the $400ish I spent.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #18

To clarify...my TV is a Chrysler Aspen built on a Dodge truck chasis...that's what I'm told. I know where the key goes to start the car and I know where to put the gas...since I have done that so often. We were to replace the Town & Country we had with a similar one. At the time, a new one was $3000 more than the Aspen and the Aspen had many more features including the factory installed tow pkg. While I have yet to push all the buttons on the Aspen (remote controlled "sun/moon" roof"), I know the TV is strong enough to pull the Roo. Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #19

We're just trying to help- tow packages can come in light and heavy - and options can affect tow ratings as well.

A properly equipped (or un-equipped...wheels/tires, 4WD, loaded vs spare changes total vehicle weight and what it can tow based on GCWR, gear ratio, etc) can mvoe the tow rating 4,000 lbs on some vehicles! You own the truck so only you have access to all the details you need to know. Sure, you can exceed your rating or GCWR and survive - but it will shorten the life of the TV for sure and can make some conditions more difficult or impossible. What you can get away with in the middle of kansas may not be possible in colorado, for example. The RV salesman wants to sell an RV - how well your TV handles it is not his problem.

Trust me - there was a big sticker in my TT that said 'small SUV towable' and technically that's possible- an Explorer can potentially tow 7500 lbs and the trailer empty weighs 5400...but add people, clothing, food, the hitch, propane/battery, kitchen items, bedding and bath, tounge weight and suddenly an explorer can't do it - and with the full size F150 based Expy I"m at max rating (based on GCWR of my particularly set up truck).

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #20
rbq

Go with the Equalizer. We have have the same trailer & pull with 1/2 ton Z71 Silverado. Other than the extra weight & length hardly know that it's back there. No sway, just a nice smooth, straight down the road drive. No white knuckles, no extra set up. To make the hookup easier make sure that you have an electric tongue jack. You won't regret either.
rbq is offline   Reply With Quote