Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #1

Real Life Towing experience with Hybrid Chevy Van and Audi Q7

Want to share my real life towing experience with a 2009 Shamrock M233.

I towed it this spring 4300 miles from Iowa to Utah and back, Climbed over the Rocky Mountains on I70 with a 1998 Chevy Express conversion van that has a 5.7L engine and the 3.76 Rear End. (GM States that this setup can tow 6500lbs) I averaged 9.75 MPG (this includes the mileage when the camper isn't being towed) When I towed the mileage was usually in the 8 MPG +/- 1 MPG. and while the van was able to maintain 60-62 miles/hr on level ground it was always being fully used, any long upgrade would pull the MPH down. In the mountains had to downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear and was able to maintain 40 MPH uphill most of the time. Had one time where it pulled down to 30MPH in 2nd gear.

This fall I upgraded my TV to a 2010 Audi Q7 TDI. I just got back from a 3400 mile trip from Iowa to the UP of Michigan down to WV back to Iowa.
(Audi lists the tow capacity of the Q7 at 6600lbs) The Audi tows the camper like its not there. Had no problem maintaining 60-65MPH on flat ground or even hilly ground. Even in the mountains in PA and WV never went below 60 MPH. I could have towed it at 75 MPH but didn't to save fuel. Averaged 14.75 MPG on the whole trip. When I towed the MPG was roughly 12 MPG +/- 1 MPG. Hardly ever felt the pullback of the camper on the Audi like I did when I used the van.

The Q7 is superior tow vehicle vs. the Chevy Van for my hybrid unit which weights at roughly 5000lbs. Used the same WD hitch on both vehicles.

Just thought I share in case someone wants real life experiences to help them make a decision.
tdehoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:12 AM   #2
I go RV'ing not Camping

That sounds like a tow beast
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:33 AM   #3

Tow beast is an understatement. The VW Touareg/ Porsche Cayenne/ Audi Q7 platform is rated to tow 7716LB which I believe is underrated.
Towing my last trailer which weighed 6255LB loaded, my Touareg TDI averaged 12L/100km , 95km/hr @1500rpm! It wasn't even breaking a sweat.
The dealer I bought the VW from had a picture on his wall of a massive boat on a trailer with this little SUV towing it. That was his...and the reason I bought the Touareg.
1996alnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #4

Thank you for posting this.
I towed my 23IKSS (53XX lbs) from Indiana to Nevada with my X5 3.0i with 5 people on board going through Colorado and Utah (4437 miles round trip) this summer and can relate to your experience.
I got 10.7 MPG overall but I think if I had a turbo engine or a V8 I would have done better.

Going up to the Eisenhower tunnel was the only place where I had to engage the 2nd gear, just before the tunnel, most probably because a non turbo engine lose lots of hps with high altitude...
I was really impressed with how the X5 took the "beating" of Utah high speed cross winds without flinch.

The Q7 gas or TDI should have an even better experience for it has more power and torque and a turbo.

I think one of the great benefits of these SUVs is that their suspension is designed for stability under racing conditions so no matter what, they will take a lot of punch before you can fell something is getting close to out of control.

Do you use a WD with the Q7?
If yes, what model?

Tks,

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:08 AM   #5

Yes I use a WD hitch. The name of it escapes me right now. It has solid bars that are leveraged onto a bracket on the trailers frame.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
Site Team

I have no doubt that these are tow beasts but towing capacity is just part of towing.

SUVs have much lower payload capacities compared to their towing capacities.
They will run out of payload WAY before they get near their towing capacity number.

What are the payload capacities of these vehicles?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:40 PM   #7

I'm curious - is the TDI powerplant in your Audi stained by the VW emissions scandal or is it part of a separate lineup?

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:49 PM   #8

Its not a part of the 4 cyl 2 liter engine's that VW Is in trouble with. This vehicle has a v6 3 liter engine and so far nothing has come out about it not being in compliance.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #9

bikendan, I'm not aware of any other SUV that can match this platform. My mechanic told me the hitch on my truck is more robust than any 1/2 tonne truck possibly even 3/4 tonne trucks.

Having said that..your right the payload is significantly lower than a pickup truck.
Mine is just over 1400LB, that's including passengers, tongue weight and anything else I put in the car.
Not a big deal for me. I don't need to put a thing in my trunk, I'm towing a 5000LB one.
ALL cargo goes in the camper.

I've had people who got behind the wheel of my Treg and we're blown away how easy and effortless it tows.
The reason I went with this SUV over a 1/2 tonne was fuel economy.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #10

I should mention I use it every day. Didn't make sense for us to buy a big a third vehicle just to tow a trailer a few times a year.
With the Touareg we have a great every day SUV that can get 1000km to a tank on the highway and tow like a dream when needed.

Tags
hybrid, towing