Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #1

refrigerator question

I just spent 4 days at the race track camping. I noticed a sound like a fan running coming from the fridge. Its a Dometic in a 2012 23ss. Its cooling just fine, I just never noticed it before. I think I read here before that there should be no sound at all coming from the fridge. Do I have a new fridge in my future?
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Site Team

my '07 23SS has no fridge fan but the newer ones do, from what i've read.
should be able to find out on Dometic's website.
you might want to post the model # of the fridge.

by the way, i'll be a retired firefighter next year and i love your patch!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #3

First off congrats on the retirement brother. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am. I do miss my guys though. I've been researching the fridge thing and it seems that it has a powered vent. It doesn't run all the time but in thinking about it the sun was was on that side of the camper each time I heard it running. I'm guessing that's what it is.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #4

Yes, you can find many threads here about the infamous fridge fan noise. It's not done by the model of fridge but by how the fridge is installed in the RV (specifically, if it's in a slide-out, it needs the fans).

I've heard that Dometic may replace them with something quieter, or you can find many in here who have done that themselves. (Personally, I've gotten used to mine.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
I just spent 4 days at the race track camping. I noticed a sound like a fan running coming from the fridge. Its a Dometic in a 2012 23ss. Its cooling just fine, I just never noticed it before. I think I read here before that there should be no sound at all coming from the fridge. Do I have a new fridge in my future?
Our 23 IKSS has a cooling fan on the fridge, and I think its likely your 23SS does too since the fridge is in the slideout. That setup prevents them from venting the heat through the roof like a chimney.

We camped a few times in the spring and it never ran. Then as the weather got warmer, it started running frequently. Its fairly loud and drove me nuts at first. There are some threads on here about switching to computer cooling fans or other quieter fans, but they are not real easy to access to switch them out. I've gotten used to the sound, and may just leave them.

Anyway - sounds like your fridge is working as it should.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #6

Thanks guys. I'm sure that's what it is now. I think the reason I had never heard it before is that down here in Georgia we run the ac or at least the fan all the time. I just happened to here it while I was setting up. Thanks again.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!

Tags
expandable, hybrid, refrigerator, shamrock