Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchapman View Post
This depends on the tow vehicle. I have been told that on my Chevy Silverado putting it in tow/haul mode boosts the charge available to the trailer battery.
From GM engineering info I have:
GM trucks, at least since 2013, if in tow/haul or with the headlamps manually turned On will cause the BCM to output a regulated voltage between 13.9-14.5V. The circuit is protected with a 40A J-Case fuse in the underhood junction block.

I always cool down the fridge a few days on AC before pulling out with the fridge loaded. When traveling I turn the headlamps ON to boost the voltage (don't use tow/haul with a 3200 lb popup) and the DC keeps the fridge nice and cold on an all day trip through hot ambient temps.

After backing into the campsite, I switch from DC to propane.

I can even attest that it works. One July, I traveled from Moab UT to Glacier NP with the fridge running on DC and when I arrived, I not only had a warm refrigerator but the trailer batteries did not have enough juice to lift the roof.

Found out from an old neighbor from when I lived in Rochester Hills MI (GM engineer), that if I had driven in tow/haul or with the headlamps On, I would have had enough to run the fridge and keep the batteries maintained.

Following year, in July I drove from Moab to Red Lodge MT with the fridge running on DC and when I arrived the fridge was as cold as when I left Moab, but most importantly, the batteries were still fully charged and the roof lifted under battery power (vs using a drill). (This time I brought a set of jumper cables to use in case the engineer info was BS.)

So now, if the fridge is full, I travel with the headlamps On.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #42
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
From rough mileage estimate driving at 65 (max for tt tires) it will be about 14 hrs per day. Long days looks like. Be safe. Later RJD
That also assumes no nature stops... I plan on about an average 45mph speed to figure out the approximate time to arrive. I learned that from Ependydad a few years ago and found that it worked out almost to the T.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #43

Good point with the tires...
metalmike57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #44

Quote:
I have been told that on my Chevy Silverado putting it in tow/haul mode boosts the charge available to the trailer battery.
That's complete hogwash.
There is a fused stud on the fusebox. In my case, the front of the box, 30A fuse, and the one closest to the firewall. It goes to the back plug. It is 12V with the truck OFF.

Other brands do turn on/off with ignition. Ford......IIRC (don't quote me on it).

PERHAPS what that person was saying was that in tow/haul your RPMs will *typically* be higher and that will allow your alternator to put out more current (because it is spinning faster). That said, you aren't pulling enough current through that wire for it to matter. Ever. The fuse will blow first.

EDIT: read the voltage regulator stuff from F5. Plausible, I suppose. Those voltages sure sound like normal operating range to me.

Secondary thought: what fridge do you have that runs on DC? Most are AC/Propane.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #45
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
That's complete hogwash.
There is a fused stud on the fusebox. In my case, the front of the box, 30A fuse, and the one closest to the firewall. It goes to the back plug. It is 12V with the truck OFF.

Other brands do turn on/off with ignition. Ford......IIRC (don't quote me on it).

PERHAPS what that person was saying was that in tow/haul your RPMs will *typically* be higher and that will allow your alternator to put out more current (because it is spinning faster). That said, you aren't pulling enough current through that wire for it to matter. Ever. The fuse will blow first.
Not hogwash, from my user manual...

If charging a remote (non-vehicle)
battery, press the Tow/Haul Mode
button, if equipped, at the end of the
shift lever. This will boost the
vehicle system voltage and properly
charge the battery. If the trailer is
too light for Tow/Haul Mode, or the
vehicle is not equipped with Tow
Haul, turn on the headlamps as a
second way to boost the vehicle
system and charge the battery.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Not hogwash, from my user manual...
You beat me to my edit.
I stand corrected.

I don't understand why they'd do that, but I'll enjoy my humble pie (and probably test it, just to see it).
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #47
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
You beat me to my edit.
I stand corrected.

I don't understand why they'd do that, but I'll enjoy my humble pie (and probably test it, just to see it).
Yeah I do not know the real benefit either, other than just not sending the power to something that does not need it (because it is not hooked up).

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #48

Quote:
I plan on about an average 45mph speed to figure out the approximate time to arrive. I learned that from Ependydad a few years ago and found that it worked out almost to the T.
And that is a useful piece of information.

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2021: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #49

Propane and refer

Spent two months traveling from southeast to western US and never refilled propane tank. Half of that time on AC but rest on propane. Suggest somewhere in North Carolina on I 95 for a campground. Easy on and off. Depending on where you are in NY, NC is about 9-10 hours. Brunwick Ga has really nice campground, all pull thrus. Coastal RV. Might be too far in one day.
fish70mg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #50

Quote:
That also assumes no nature stops... I plan on about an average 45mph speed to figure out the approximate time to arrive. I learned that from Ependydad a few years ago and found that it worked out almost to the T.
Doc,

Is 45 mph a misquote? I was a settling on 55 mph as an average number.
45 has me thinking it is to low for an average.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #51
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Yeah I do not know the real benefit either, other than just not sending the power to something that does not need it (because it is not hooked up).
I seem to vaguely remember someone posting in an automobile forum about a TSB (technical service bulliten) about this verbiage in the Chevy manual back around 2008 when the feature first came out.

As I recall... GM used some sort of 'regulated voltage control' to help improve the fuel mileage ratings. During regular driving, (non tow/haul mode) the alternator's output was throttled back to help improve fuel milage. (less strain on the engine)

When you switched to tow/haul, it simply left the alternator charge normally.

So in reality, it wasn't so much that it 'boosted' output when in tow/haul but more so, reduced voltage when not using it.

Those engineers can turn things around now... can't they?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #52
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Doc,

I use 50 MPH as an average and it has been spot on in 40 years of towing.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #53
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Doc,

No 45 covered our nature stops every 2 hours or so, fuel stops, and traffic. We used the 45mph figure and drove from here to Disney... We wanted to be there by the 1:30 check in.. We arrived 1:35!!! LOL

The same for our trip to Michigan and even works pretty good on "shorter" trips to Cape Cod, NY and Canadia.

We do travel with a 4 year old and a cat. But it works out well for us even with out the wee one.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #54
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I seem to vaguely remember someone posting in an automobile forum about a TSB (technical service bulliten) about this verbiage in the Chevy manual back around 2008 when the feature first came out.

As I recall... GM used some sort of 'regulated voltage control' to help improve the fuel mileage ratings. During regular driving, (non tow/haul mode) the alternator's output was throttled back to help improve fuel milage. (less strain on the engine)

When you switched to tow/haul, it simply left the alternator charge normally.

So in reality, it wasn't so much that it 'boosted' output when in tow/haul but more so, reduced voltage when not using it.

Those engineers can turn things around now... can't they?

This train is going way off the rails... But doesn't an alternator always "make"energy? Not like other stuff that has a clutch to turn on and off.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #55
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
This train is going way off the rails... But doesn't an alternator always "make"energy? Not like other stuff that has a clutch to turn on and off.
Yes to some degree but that is the function of the voltage regulator... to monitor and control alternator output.

In simple terms... The voltage regulator controls the field current applied to the spinning rotor inside the alternator. (think magnetic/induction) When there is no current applied to the field, there is no voltage produced from the alternator and little strain on the engine. It basically freewheels.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #56

Quote:
No 45 covered our nature stops every 2 hours or so, fuel stops, and traffic. We used the 45mph figure and drove from here to Disney... We wanted to be there by the 1:30 check in.. We arrived 1:35!!! LOL

The same for our trip to Michigan and even works pretty good on "shorter" trips to Cape Cod, NY and Canadia.

We do travel with a 4 year old and a cat. But it works out well for us even with out the wee one.
I have got to do more traveling... . I am not a speedster but just thought that was low. I will plan my way points to adjust my estimates for ETA...

Interesting thought.

My edit:
This is not on topic to the OP's question but worth while info.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #57
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Yes to some degree but that is the function of the voltage regulator... to monitor and control alternator output.
Ok, I did not know that the alternator would regulate anything. I just figured it made its 12v 100 amps or whatever all the time. PS I AM NOT A MAJOR GEAR HEAD

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-20-2017, 04:45 PM   #58
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
I have got to do more traveling... . I am not a speedster but just thought that was low. I will plan my way points to adjust my estimates for ETA...

Interesting thought.

My edit:
This is not on topic to the OP's question but worth while info.
Yeah our typical speed, where legal, is cruise control set to 63 or so. I am also not in the place of balls to the wall to get there, the journey is part of the enjoyment for us.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-20-2017, 04:45 PM   #59
Professional Texan

Quote:
No, i had a 1/2 ton chevy and when not in tow/haul you could actually see the voltage drop after driving a few miles when the alternator shut down. Alternators take more power than you would think. It never dropped of at night while the headlights were on.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #60

Quote:
This depends on the tow vehicle. I have been told that on my Chevy Silverado putting it in tow/haul mode boosts the charge available to the trailer battery.
I saw this info in another thread and checked in on the F-150 forum. Ford basically does the same...

Thinking about why, how about the old watts = amps * volts. Various stuff consume X amount of watts. You can't increase the amperage, or you blow fuses and fry wires. So does increasing voltage keep stuff working properly?
I'm not sure about this, not an electrician, just think I'm smarter than I really am...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, refrigerator