Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2018, 08:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
If the tires on your trailer are "Made in China", replace them as soon as you cahn.

Bought trailer in 2013... still have three of the original 'china' tires..... put at least 20,000 miles on them. Only changing out now, after 5 years, only due to age and not tire wear.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #22

There is also a law on the books that says you will get a flat within the first 1000 miles on new tires. I think it's called Murphy's Law or something like that.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
There is also a law on the books that says you will get a flat within the first 1000 miles on new tires. I think it's called Murphy's Law or something like that.
Murphy does not use a TPMS.....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtSquirt View Post
Hi All,

When should you really replace the tires on the trailer? I'm asking because the tires on our 2010 Rockwood Roo are still in great shape. They have about 50-60,000 km on them. The tread looks good. There are no cracks anywhere, not between the treads, not on the sides. No bulges either. So do the tires really need to be replaced at this point?

Thanks!

I would have replaced them years ago. Four years max for me.
2 in a Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
If the tires on your trailer are "Made in China", replace them as soon as you cahn.
Sorry I disagree and have 16..... ST made in China tires on the ground now. I have never had a blow out or a flat with any of them.

I do not have a TPMS either but have thought about it. Probably a good idea as some of the areas I travel are somewhat remote.

My rule of thumb is 5-7 years unless I see dry rot starting.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Replace the china bombs as soon as you pull it off the dealers lot.
You have been EXTREMELY lucky with 8 year old factory tires. You have pushed your luck for 8 years, the price of new tires will be a mere fraction of the cost of a blow out repair.
Why? Just finished 700 miles of freeway driving on my "China Bombs" with zero problens.

Get a good, accurate tire pressure gauge, check and add air if necessary before starting out for the day, and avoid hitting curbs when pulling into gas stations etc.

I've had exactly two Chinese made tires fail in over 20 years of towing my trailers. Both traces back to "curb shots" I accidentally made earlier in the trip.

Keep the air pressure correct, check when cold (before first miles), add as necessary. NEVER let air out of a hot tire just because it's over the starting pressure. Next morning when cold again it could be just right.

I plan on replacing mine when the tread depth is half worn (about 4 to 5 32nds remaining). I figure by then the Goodyear Endurance tires will have proven there not the same as Goodyear's Marathon trailer tires.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Sorry I disagree and have 16..... ST made in China tires on the ground now. I have never had a blow out or a flat with any of them.

I do not have a TPMS either but have thought about it. Probably a good idea as some of the areas I travel are somewhat remote.

My rule of thumb is 5-7 years unless I see dry rot starting.

X2.......we're on our third Hybrid, and never changed a tire on any of them.
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:35 PM   #28

Until and unless I can be convinced otherwise, I will not ever again buy trailer tires made in China. My first encounter with failure of China Bombs was August 2004 when a so-called "brand new" Goodyear Marathon exploded on the right rear of my TT. I didn't hear a thing until a fellow motorist pointed to the rear of my trailer. I pulled off the road at the nearest exit in NorCal near Monterey to find the demolished tire had ripped half of my fenders and underbody to shreds. I replaced the tire with another Goodyear Marathion, much to my dismay. Repaired the damage to my TT for about $2,500.00, and continued to drive to numerous camp sites.

Six more tire failures followed, fortunately without serious damage to the TT. By summer 2010, I had four different tire brands on the four wheels of my TT. After examination of each tire failure, it was determined that all of the failed tires had been sold 2-4 years beyond the dates of manufacture. So.....I was driving with expired tires. Never again.

Trailer tires are subject to different kinds of forces than powered vehicle (truck) tires. They are designed with stiffer sidewalls than powered vehicle tires because of the kinds of sway forces they endure when towing. I plan to replace my currently new Goodyear
Endurance Trailer Tires in about 4-5 years, regardless of how many miles they accrue.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires