Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #21

New Roo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin79 View Post
Well we signed papers today so I'm the owner of a new 233S, assuming financing goes through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You will love it!!! But take it to a "CAT Scale" and and get it weighed https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/ First weight with everything including people, food, water etc. in the truck and camper with the WDH attached. Then the second weight is with the WDH bars unattached in in the back of the truck. The 3rd weight is just the tow vehicle with the WDH locked inside your unattached trailer.
Here a few links to help: Towing Planner - towing capability calculators
How to Weigh a Travel Trailer | Learn To RV Travel Trailer Weight Calculator | Safety Report Towing Calculator based on Truck's Payload/CCC - Towing Planner
Matching Trucks to Trailers

You will enjoy your new Roo!!!
Happy camping!!!
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by djemgoss View Post
You will love it!!! But take it to a "CAT Scale" and and get it weighed https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/ First weight with everything including people, food, water etc. in the truck and camper with the WDH attached. Then the second weight is with the WDH bars unattached in in the back of the truck. The 3rd weight is just the tow vehicle with the WDH locked inside your unattached trailer.
Here a few links to help: Towing Planner - towing capability calculators
How to Weigh a Travel Trailer | Learn To RV Travel Trailer Weight Calculator | Safety Report Towing Calculator based on Truck's Payload/CCC - Towing Planner
Matching Trucks to Trailers

You will enjoy your new Roo!!!
Happy camping!!!

Yeah, I'm planning on weighing it those 3 ways when I get it.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I have a Shamrock (Roo cousin) 183 with a tongue weight of about 435# (402# published).

I have towed until recently with a Dodge 2001 3500 Ram MaxiVan. I put E load range tires on the van and Air Lift air bags on the rear to help level the van. The E range tires will be necessary IMHO for your van getting rid of P rated or even LT rated tires which you probably already have. The air lift bags may also be necessary.

Your 233S hitch weight will be over 600# (602# published) which is a lot for a conversion van to handle without the tires and/or air bags added.

I could tow with my 245Hp 5.2l engine, but not well up steep hills on I-75 in KY/TN border, needing to drop down to 2nd gear and revving to 4,000+ rpm. On level interstates I could hold 65-70 mph OK, but only in 3rd gear doing about 26-3000 rpm and getting about 6-7 MPG. Driving in FL was not a problem, but hilly terrain was nerve rattling... hence I upgraded last summer to 395 Hp RAM 1500 crew cab truck.

How can I tell if my current van tires are E, P or LT rated? Where is a good place to get airbags? Do I need to have a compressor in my van?

Old 01-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #24

Quote:
How can I tell if my current van tires are E, P or LT rated? Where is a good place to get airbags? Do I need to have a compressor in my van?
the tire rating is (usually) stamped on the side of your tires i.e. P= passenger tire, LT = light truck, E = load range E

Passenger tires typically not very stiff sidewalls which can contribute to sway. LT is better, E typically has 10 ply rating with stiff sidewalls for better tire tracking and less sidewall flex for better sway control.
lots of infor online such as
Help Me Choose The Right Tire | How to choose tires | Michelin US

Any tire dealer can answer your questions and show you tire options.

I looked around the internet for my Air Lift brand bags and found the best deal on amazon... but that was 3 years ago.

for instance... https://www.amazon.com/LIFT-57275-Lo...words=air+lift

When I tow, I inflate the bags using a pair of lines terminated at the rear bumper. I let air out when not towing for long periods of time. You can use a compressor mounted in the van with remote control if you want to spend the $$$ but I did not need that much control.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
Interesting to see all the bike solutions. I'm starting to research carrier ideas myself since we just got bikes. Hope I remember how to ride. Probably been 30 years!!!
We have a 23ikss, so with the dual slides and island, not much room inside. Probably will get either an a frame mount for over the propane tanks or an above the truck bed rack.
Suggestions welcome.
Look up Lippert "Jack-It" bike carrier! They appear to have a Vertical piece that is removable for use with a Bed end unit? They fit on any Tongue unit! Youroo!!
Old 01-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #26

I have been hauling bikes on the back of my hybrids for over 8 years with no problems, my hitch is custom made but I would seriously consider this universal hitch the next time I put one on. I would never deal with bikes inside the rig, we like to use the camper for meals and bathroom breaks while travelling.

Here is a link

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Hitch/Curt/13703.html
Old 01-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
I have been hauling bikes on the back of my hybrids for over 8 years with no problems, my hitch is custom made but I would seriously consider this universal hitch the next time I put one on. I would never deal with bikes inside the rig, we like to use the camper for meals and bathroom breaks while travelling.

Here is a link

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Hitch/Curt/13703.html
I don't know about the 233S but on 23IKSS this hitch doesn't fit.

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
the tire rating is (usually) stamped on the side of your tires i.e. P= passenger tire, LT = light truck, E = load range E

Passenger tires typically not very stiff sidewalls which can contribute to sway. LT is better, E typically has 10 ply rating with stiff sidewalls for better tire tracking and less sidewall flex for better sway control.
lots of infor online such as
Help Me Choose The Right Tire | How to choose tires | Michelin US

Any tire dealer can answer your questions and show you tire options.

I looked around the internet for my Air Lift brand bags and found the best deal on amazon... but that was 3 years ago.

for instance... https://www.amazon.com/LIFT-57275-Lo...words=air+lift

When I tow, I inflate the bags using a pair of lines terminated at the rear bumper. I let air out when not towing for long periods of time. You can use a compressor mounted in the van with remote control if you want to spend the $$$ but I did not need that much control.

Which is better, in your opinion. Airbags or something like this https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...id=20031007769

Old 01-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #29

kevin79

I can only speak about the Air Lift airbags... I had them professionally installed and that cost me about $100 as I recall at a local shop on their lift. These that you have inquired about seem to do the same job with a simpler installation it appears. The only thing that I can say is that the air lift bags are adjustable for the load on the TV. I had about 2" of travel from stock level going higher pumping air in. Loading on the trailer I had no squat at all from level. Note that my 435# and your 600#+ tongue loads are significantly different. The only other difference I will point out is that I have a shorter wheelbase on my Maxi-van then your Chev which hurt me because of a longer overhang in the rear.

I have used etrailer for a number of items and think they are the best for customer service and great prices.

If I were you, I would concentrate on getting the right tires first. If rear squat becomes a problem after you load your trailer, you can then add the helper bag. Of course I assume that you will also get the best weight distribution hitch that you can. I found that the Harbor Freight WDH works well for me and is considerably cheaper then many on the market. With their easy to find 20% off coupons, and finding it on sale, you can get out the door for less than $175. I have been pulling my Shamrock 183 with this hitch and air bags since summer 2014 with two full trips into south FL (@ 5,000 miles each time) and many shorter trips without incident with this hitch and Air Lift bags AND load range E tires.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 01-16-2017, 07:31 PM   #30

I will be pulling a 21' Roo with a Suburban and I have my wife and two kids (11 & 14) and all our mountain bikes. We usually have our modified (raised 10") Thule T4 hitch rack on the back of the tv carrying our mountain bikes going to races and camping in places we ride w/out the camper. I have my mechanic buddy working with me on a rear mount solution for the T4 on our Roo utilizing the frame over the bumper. Should have something worked out in the next couple weeks to show you. I don't like putting bikes on top of the tv (difficulty, dirt & drag) or inside the camper (dirt & damage). Putting 4 bikes on the front doesn't seem right either and my buddy who has gone that route nearly lost his entire rack being cut off in traffic recently. We plan to drag this rig to Utah from Virginia this June and being able to park the camper and take the bikes to a trail head easily would be ideal.

Eggleston, Virginia
Go Hokies!!!
MoonStomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonStomper View Post
I will be pulling a 21' Roo with a Suburban and I have my wife and two kids (11 & 14) and all our mountain bikes. We usually have our modified (raised 10") Thule T4 hitch rack on the back of the tv carrying our mountain bikes going to races and camping in places we ride w/out the camper. I have my mechanic buddy working with me on a rear mount solution for the T4 on our Roo utilizing the frame over the bumper. Should have something worked out in the next couple weeks to show you. I don't like putting bikes on top of the tv (difficulty, dirt & drag) or inside the camper (dirt & damage). Putting 4 bikes on the front doesn't seem right either and my buddy who has gone that route nearly lost his entire rack being cut off in traffic recently. We plan to drag this rig to Utah from Virginia this June and being able to park the camper and take the bikes to a trail head easily would be ideal.
Moon:

Here's what my dealer put on my 2012 Roo 19. I had it 3 seasons and I'm sure it's still going strong.

I had a similar one put on my Mini Lite (see my link in Post 2 of this thread), but I also moved the spare tire underneath the frame in front of the axles to balance things out. See here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ite-91088.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch #1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	128157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch #3.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	128158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch #6.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	128159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch #7.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	128160  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Roo Hitch.pdf (213.0 KB, 30 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #32

Hey there We towed our 2011 233s with a 2001 E150 van for 6 seasons and thousands of miles. Had comparable towing range you have. I had the Air-Lift bags on the rear and absolutely loved them and would not tow without using them. Unfortunately for you, I don't believe Air-Lift makes them for the Express 1500...only the 2500 and 3500. I asked last year when I was looking at an Express 1500 conversion, as well. At the time, I talked to Air-Lift and they said they were still "working on a design" but did not have one available due to limited mounting space on the 1500 suspension. If there are other options that do work for you (Firestone, Timbren, etc.) I would definitely get something that helps beef up that suspension, obviously in addition to the upgraded tires and weight distribution mentioned earlier...the 233s has a fair amount of tongue weight Good luck and enjoy your new unit...we still love ours and have found little to nothing else that would be better for our family of 6. Now towing with a 2008 Chevy Express 3500 conversion...no issues with the 6.0L, 1-ton suspension and weight distribution

2019 Vibe 261BHS
2021 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear
Husky Centerline TS WD Hitch
Buckeyecmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #33

I'm trying to convince my wife that we need a new van. No luck yet so if anyone had advice, I would appreciate it. [emoji16]

My van has a brake controller installed. Are all brake controllers capable of operating the brakes on a tandem axle trailer or do I need to try to find the model number of it?

Old 01-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #34

Quote:
My van has a brake controller installed. Are all brake controllers capable of operating the brakes on a tandem axle trailer or do I need to try to find the model number of it?
all brake controllers work with trailer brakes... some better than others... suggest you try it before thinking of replacing it...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 03-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #35

We had to get a truck to pull our 233S. But since sometimes we go for 2-3 week trips we really either fill the inside or need to stop for meal breaks so having bikes in the trailer is not ideal.

so we make do with a homemade rack. We can still fit our extras around the bikes just fine, we just have to always load the bikes in first and tie them down. Then tetris everything in aftewards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4715.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	131524  
Shawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawny View Post
We had to get a truck to pull our 233S. But since sometimes we go for 2-3 week trips we really either fill the inside or need to stop for meal breaks so having bikes in the trailer is not ideal.

so we make do with a homemade rack. We can still fit our extras around the bikes just fine, we just have to always load the bikes in first and tie them down. Then tetris everything in aftewards.
How did you make the bike rack?
kevin79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s, bike, rockwood, rockwood roo, roo