Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2022, 11:01 AM   #1

Exclamation Rockwood Roo 23SS bunk lock won't unlock

HELP! I just got my Rockwood Roo 23ss (2012) and I was checking all of the keys to see what they went to. I tried the front door key in one of the bunk locks and it locked the latch but now it won't unlock.

None of the other keys work in the bunk locks. Does anyone know how to unlock a bunk lock?

I've sprayed some lock lubricant in the lock and it still won't unlock. I've spent 20 minutes messing with it. My hands are tired from trying to unlock it!
BobBeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 01:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBeauchamp View Post
HELP! I just got my Rockwood Roo 23ss (2012) and I was checking all of the keys to see what they went to. I tried the front door key in one of the bunk locks and it locked the latch but now it won't unlock.

None of the other keys work in the bunk locks. Does anyone know how to unlock a bunk lock?

I've sprayed some lock lubricant in the lock and it still won't unlock. I've spent 20 minutes messing with it. My hands are tired from trying to unlock it!
Moved thread to the Roo/Shamrock sub-forum since the OP is asking for model-specific information.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:09 PM   #3

Got it unlocked

I got it unlocked! It took some elbow grease but it finally unlocked.
BobBeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:27 PM   #4

fwiw, it's a great idea to keep after ALL these locks with dry lube. If one key is having problems, flip it (if it can be flipped) and try that one, or swap out and try a different key. These things are poorly made from not ideal materials, and sometimes they take a little TLC and attention to make them work properly. Dry lube at ALL my locks made each perform much better.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:18 AM   #5

Temperamental Keys

FWIW & a share from my experiences.....

Our old Roo this did not happen on, but on the new one (2020-235S) each barrel lock does require at times patience with the key insertion in order to actually allow the key to turn and lock/unlock things. It just seems like there is a tad extra play in all the keyways and at times the pins don't seem to contact/lineup properly inside...despite me being anal about keeping things lubricated and clean. I have found that when a key wont turn, if I remove the key and insert it again (sometimes more than once) being careful on the alignment when I insert it... it will eventually function as it should.

There was/is a historical post somewhere on the forums of a few different "replacement lock jobs" folks have done, but when I researched a year or more ago it was just too much money for me to fix what I am having for issues....

Best of luck

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 01:00 PM   #6

Rockwood Roo 23SS bunk lock won't unlock

When I had my 2015 Roo 21ss, the bunk locks were a different key than the storage door locks. You might want to check the key numbers.
When we picked it up at the dealer, he put black marker on the bunk locks so we could tell them apart
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:52 PM   #7

I've a 2014, 21SS. The door key is double edged unlike the others. The bunks use a 751 key the same as my hatches. The outside shower key also works dispite a tiny difference.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 04:45 PM   #8

that's old-school Roo key design: one coded doublesided key for the door, 751 for the latches/hatches and bunk ends, and generic opener on the outdoor shower.

New Roo key plan uses the coded doublesided key for /everything/ except the outdoor shower (which is still generic, and ANY related doublesided key opens it). Nice thing about the doublesided key is that you've got two sets of teeth to try (if one side won't open a particular lock, take the key out, turn it 180°, then try the other way). I've found dry lube/PTFE very helpful in getting all the locks to be more cooperative.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
23ss, bunk, lock, rockwood, rockwood roo, roo