Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2022, 09:22 AM   #1

Roo 183 Solar question

Another solar question. Searched a bit and maybe missed what i was looking for but here goes.
2021 Roo 183. Wired for solar. Planning on a 200-ish panel on the roof for now.
was going to go the non Go Power route as i can get panels/controllers cheaper.
Questions i have w not going the Go Power route are:

1. I've heard some solar ready wiring is wired "backward". Is there any way to tell if this is the case or not w the roo 183?

2. Was planning on a vitcron controller installed at the recommended wall cut out for the Go Power controller. Is this too far away from the batteries (prob 12' or so of wiring)?

3. Anyone know the wire gauge of the existing wires? Wondering if they're big enough for my needs.

4. Finally, are the exisitng roof connections a Go Power proprietary connection or pretty universal?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Criscam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:06 AM   #2

1. The backwards wiring is mainly for the solar on the side applications, easily resolved/identified with a inexpensive multimeter/volt meter.
2. Normally you want the controller as close as reasonable to your battery for best results. Really depends on your wire gage though.
3. Should be easy to find at the battery for verification but it likely 10 or 12 gauge.
4. Cant help here as I'm not familiar with your model but typically they are MC4 connections.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:51 AM   #3

Zamp is the only company I know of that reverses the poliarity with that said there may be others. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question, roo, solar