Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #1

Roo 21BD Running Generators and massive draw of electricity

Hello Guys,
new to the fourm. I own a 2016 Rockwood Roo 21BD Hybrid. Love it , but having an issue. I will run the generators ( twin Ryobi's ) and I keep tripping them. Here is my scenario as follows.

Sitting in trailer running A/C and have hot water heater turned off and also breaker turned off just to make sure there is no draw. Fridge running on Aux. Then after a few mins to an hour get a huge draw and trips the generators, the generators are 2000 watts each with running watts of 1800 each running in a parallel set up!. Also when plugging in to shore power the GFI will trip.

I am pulling out the rest of my hair trying to figure out why this is happening.
Has anyone had this issue ? Or know what the heck is going on? Or is this a common thing and is there a work a round? Please be so kind to help me out with solid info. if anyone has it out there!
indnetsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
PhD, Common Sense

Do you think the surge in draw when the compressor kicks on is tripping the breakers?
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
Do you think the surge in draw when the compressor kicks on is tripping the breakers?
No ....the A/C i have running on the lowest setting and the compressor is running.it's weird... I dont get why it is doing this..... Like right now I have been in the trailer for a while now and everything is working fine now .....I'm beginning to think its one of my Generators is deffective.....probably going to purchase a new generator... like the Preditor from Harbor Freight....
Old 09-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #4
PhD, Common Sense

Well, if the compressor is running continuously, and not just the fan, then it is not the surge when the compressor comes on that is the problem.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #5

Yes I think your right......I'll give it a try and see what happens and post an update in a few weeks.....Thank you so very much!
Old 09-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #6

If you are using shore power and the GFI trips then it probably is not the generators.

2017 Flagstaff Shamrock 21ss pulled by a 2007 Ford F150 XLT 4X4
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #7

Yep i get that....but when plugged in to shore power ....why would the GFI trip? its weird....this happens when the coach is stored and happens when camping and plugged in to shore power or using Generators
Old 09-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #8

I have a 3500 watt inverter which was giving me problems similar to yours except that the TT worked fine on shore power. A new control unit for the inverter fixed the problem. However, i would seem to me that because you are having a problem while using shore power and the inverter that the problem would be in the TT. It is possible that the breaker in the inverter is more sensitive or a trips at less current than the GFI. One thing you may want to try is turn all your breakers off in the TT and then plug into shore power, if it does not trip the GFI then turn on the breakers one at a time to try to isolate the problem to a spesific circuit.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #9

I have a 3500 watt inverter which was giving me problems similar to yours except that the TT worked fine on shore power. A new control unit for the inverter fixed the problem. However, i would seem to me that because you are having a problem while using shore power and the inverter that the problem would be in the TT. It is possible that the breaker in the inverter is more sensitive or a trips at less current than the GFI. One thing you may want to try is turn all your breakers off in the TT and then plug into shore power, if it does not trip the GFI then turn on the breakers one at a time to try to isolate the problem to a spesific circuit.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #10

Thank you .....I dont mean to sound like an idoit ....what do you mean by 'TT" and your idea sounds like a great way to use process of elimination to figure the problem out...
Old 09-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #11

When you say shore power, is it a 30 or 50amp service? If it is only a 15 or 20 amp circuit, you can trip the GFCI due to too much draw.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #12

Ohhh OK...My house is 50 amp service ...I use a 50 to 30 amp adapter....
Old 09-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #13

I understand, I am also new to this forum and do not know most of the initals used but I have learned that TT stands for Travel Trailer. If you can find it there is also a large list of initials used, although not complete, that can be printed out. A lot of times I find, especially with electrical problems, the process of elimination is the fastest/only way to find the cause of problems.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #14

Thank you .....I will work on it and see if i can figure it out by process of elimination ....Thank you again Bacchus!
Old 09-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #15
Site Team

TT-travel trailer, HTT-hybrid travel trailer, MH-motorhome
DW-dear/darn/darling wife, DH-dear/darn/darling husband
WH-water heater, a/c-air conditioner, TV-tow vehicle, tv-television, SOB-some other brand, FW-fresh water are a few common ones.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
TT-travel trailer, HTT-hybrid travel trailer, MH-motorhome
DW-dear/darn/darling wife, DH-dear/darn/darling husband
WH-water heater, a/c-air conditioner, TV-tow vehicle, tv-television, SOB-some other brand, FW-fresh water are a few common ones.

Thank you !
Old 09-02-2017, 12:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Ohhh OK...My house is 50 amp service ...I use a 50 to 30 amp adapter....
just to explain a bit about your Roo electrical service...

RV's typically have either 50 AMP or 30 AMP plugs that will fit into campground pedestals. Unless you have had an outlet added to your home, you do not have either 30 or 50 AMP RV plugs.

50 AMP RV plugs have 4 prongs and 30 AMP RV plugs have 3 prongs. see first two pictures below. These are both 120 V RV service plugs, not to be confused with a 30 AMP 240 V dryer or range plug.

I think you have 30 AMP service to the camper plug and use a 15 AMP household adapter to the 30 AMP trailer plug.

see third picture below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30amp.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	150345   Click image for larger version

Name:	50amp.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	150346   Click image for larger version

Name:	15-30.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	150347  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #18

Can't help you with generators but congrats on your 21bd. We have a 2015 21bd and absolutely love it. We are on our 2nd cross country trip from Md. and by the time we return home we will have traveled a total of 16,000 miles. Enjoy
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by indnetsol View Post
Hello Guys,
new to the fourm. I own a 2016 Rockwood Roo 21BD Hybrid. Love it , but having an issue. I will run the generators ( twin Ryobi's ) and I keep tripping them. Here is my scenario as follows.

Sitting in trailer running A/C and have hot water heater turned off and also breaker turned off just to make sure there is no draw. Fridge running on Aux. Then after a few mins to an hour get a huge draw and trips the generators, the generators are 2000 watts each with running watts of 1800 each running in a parallel set up!. Also when plugging in to shore power the GFI will trip.

I am pulling out the rest of my hair trying to figure out why this is happening.
Has anyone had this issue ? Or know what the heck is going on? Or is this a common thing and is there a work a round? Please be so kind to help me out with solid info. if anyone has it out there!
OK, lets start fresh.

1. When you say "Then after a few mins to an hour get a huge draw and trips the generators" do you mean that the GFI outlets on the actual generators are tripping and you have to reset them?

2. When you say " Also when plugging in to shore power the GFI will trip." do you mean a GFI receptacle inside the camper that has to be reset at the outlet?

If so, how long has this been going on?

3. Do you have an electric water heater, or is it Propane only?

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #20

When running our 15k A/C on twin 2000w Generac generators, sometimes the converter will trip out the generator. I notice if I turn off the converter breaker, I don't get that problem. Also, I put my frig on LP only so the only load is the A/C. I haven't figured out why yet, but if I run in Turbo, no trip issue, in Standard, sometimes and in ECO mode, 5-10mins.

Tags
electric, generator, roo