Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2021, 08:00 PM   #1

Roo heated mattress replacement

Hi all new here so please kind. We recently purchased a 2009 Rockwood Roo 233, one of the things I would like to do is replace the mattresses it has three heated queen size mattresses. Does any one know if I can just purchase a memory foam mattress and use heated pads? if not where can I get a replacement thanks in advance
Mland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mland View Post
Hi all new here so please kind. We recently purchased a 2009 Rockwood Roo 233, one of the things I would like to do is replace the mattresses it has three heated queen size mattresses. Does any one know if I can just purchase a memory foam mattress and use heated pads? if not where can I get a replacement thanks in advance
Have you contacted Rockwood? Those mattresses haven't changed much over the years.
There should be a manufacturers tag on the mattresses. It might be Flair Industries, which is owned by Lippert.
Is there something wrong witn the 3 factory mattresses?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:38 PM   #3

Pick up mattresses of your choice and add an electrified mattress pad. When we got our trailer, we moved the pad we had on our mattress at home into the trailer. Works fine. Still have an electrified pad at home, lets us drop the thermostat a night a few additional degrees, a lot cheaper to heat the bed than the whole house. I think the pads are better than electric blankets which usually recommend against adding anything on top of the blanket.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:16 PM   #4

[QUOTE=SailorSam20500;2654723]Pick up mattresses of your choice and add an electrified mattress pad.
2X no need to get a mattress with a built in pad. This also allows pad replacement in case of failure and you can flip or rotate the mattress if you want.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:38 PM   #5

No I haven’t, I think they work but they are worn and they are someone else’s mattress just kinda seems gross to me
Old 10-30-2021, 12:10 AM   #6
Site Team

Hybrid mattresses have to able to fold, to stay up inside of the bunk door when closed.
The previous posts recommending regular mattresses, apparently have never owned a hybrid TT.
You would have to pull all 3 mattresses out, in order to close up the three tent ends and bunk doors.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-30-2021, 06:26 AM   #7

good to know thanks
Old 10-30-2021, 08:05 AM   #8

One thing I prefer about my camper vs a hotel is my own bed and bathroom. I don't know anyone who would buy a used mattress or toilet. Yet there's a market for used RVs which include both features. Fully understand the desire for replacing at least the mattresses. "TJ Snuggles" made those in my Roo. They're in Indiana near the trailer factories. Shipping will be prohibitively expensive.

And, yes, Roo hybrid mattresses fold. We use waterproof covers and a fitted flannel sheet on the beds. Protects us from our own stuff.

-- Chuck
Old 10-30-2021, 12:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Hybrid mattresses have to able to fold, to stay up inside of the bunk door when closed.
The previous posts recommending regular mattresses, apparently have never owned a hybrid TT.
You would have to pull all 3 mattresses out, in order to close up the three tent ends and bunk doors.
I didn't know that. So I'll adjust my recommendation to: get your choice of fold-able mattress and put a heated mattress pad on it. Seems like many mail order mattresses would qualify.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:16 PM   #10

I don't get these guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
One thing I prefer about my camper vs a hotel is my own bed and bathroom. I don't know anyone who would buy a used mattress or toilet. Yet there's a market for used RVs which include both features. Fully understand the desire for replacing at least the mattresses. "TJ Snuggles" made those in my Roo. They're in Indiana near the trailer factories. Shipping will be prohibitively expensive.

And, yes, Roo hybrid mattresses fold. We use waterproof covers and a fitted flannel sheet on the beds. Protects us from our own stuff.

-- Chuck
I don't get these guys. Maybe never served their country in the military...

Eight weeks in basic--then somewhere else. Those bunks had six different guys a year in them, probably five years old (thirty guys) by the time I was there, maybe five more years later. Did a ton of business travel and pleasure travel. Stayed in everything from a Renaissance or Embassy Suites to Motel Six and (God forbid) a flophouse billed as a hostel (when a crooked AirBNB rental turned out to be a scam). What do you do when you have to go to the hospital? Do you demand a new mattress?

Would I buy a used mattress? Actually did. When (in the military) we had to suddenly move from a furnished apartment to unfurnished, we bought a used high-end (maybe Sealy Posturpedic?) mattress. It was so good that we used it for years, even when I left the Army and went back to a high-paying job in industry.

Used toilet? Haven't but would if I needed one and the right thing came along. I have removed a toilets our home and trailer several times to replace flooring or plumbing beneath them. And both the home and trailer had several previous owners. Never rooted your own plumbing, did you?

Not sure why people are so squeamish. Is this a generational thing? I wash my hands after plumbing work and get my tetanus shot every decade and I sleep very well at night, not worrying about such things.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I don't get these guys. Maybe never served their country in the military...

Eight weeks in basic--then somewhere else. Those bunks had six different guys a year in them, probably five years old (thirty guys) by the time I was there, maybe five more years later. Did a ton of business travel and pleasure travel. Stayed in everything from a Renaissance or Embassy Suites to Motel Six and (God forbid) a flophouse billed as a hostel (when a crooked AirBNB rental turned out to be a scam). What do you do when you have to go to the hospital? Do you demand a new mattress?

Would I buy a used mattress? Actually did. When (in the military) we had to suddenly move from a furnished apartment to unfurnished, we bought a used high-end (maybe Sealy Posturpedic?) mattress. It was so good that we used it for years, even when I left the Army and went back to a high-paying job in industry.

Used toilet? Haven't but would if I needed one and the right thing came along. I have removed a toilets our home and trailer several times to replace flooring or plumbing beneath them. And both the home and trailer had several previous owners. Never rooted your own plumbing, did you?

Not sure why people are so squeamish. Is this a generational thing? I wash my hands after plumbing work and get my tetanus shot every decade and I sleep very well at night, not worrying about such things.
I'll basically agree. I would check a mattress for bed bugs and probably put it in one of the BB proof covers. Used toilet - wash with a strong bleach solution and be happy. I remember talking to a builder who pulled a black low boy toilet out of a model home. This was 20+ years ago and it had a price of over $500.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:38 PM   #12

Retired Army here (Infantry and Armored Cavalry). Yeah, I've slept on a used mattress but never when there's a better choice. Bed wetters in the Army (too much beer) and since retirement (puppies) make used mattresses something for someone else.

-- Chuck
Old 10-30-2021, 12:45 PM   #13

Just 20+ years ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I'll basically agree. I would check a mattress for bed bugs and probably put it in one of the BB proof covers. Used toilet - wash with a strong bleach solution and be happy. I remember talking to a builder who pulled a black low boy toilet out of a model home. This was 20+ years ago and it had a price of over $500.
Just 20+ years ago? The military experience I described was half a century ago!

But you reminded me of something: I am a very active volunteer in disaster response and recovery. Hurricanes Matthew and Florence were both "storms of record" in North Carolina. Hundreds of homes flooded that had never flooded before. The owners--many people who were living hand-to-mouth--didn't have flood insurance. It's not covered by your Homeowners policy. Volunteers here rebuilt the homes using the FEMA money for materials and providing volunteer labor. The homeowners were extremely grateful for the mattresses we found that were being rotated out of a hotel after a few years use. I assure you that they did not turn their noses up at the donated mattresses.

Want another eye-opener. Visit a few of these links:
https://www.shpbeds.org/
https://www.abedforeverychild.org/
https://bedstart.org/
https://www.wsls.com/news/local/2021...-of-materials/
https://www.myveryownbed.org/
https://sweetdreammakers.org/

These are just a small sample.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:06 PM   #14

"TJ Snuggles" made those in my Roo." CORRECTION: TJ Snuggles made the tents. No idea who made the heated mattresses.

-- Chuck
Old 11-01-2021, 05:17 PM   #15
Retired Panpsychist

Several years ago, someone posted a similar question. I answered with photos of the tags on our 2020 Roo foldable and heated mattresses:

Hope this helps.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:17 AM   #16

Those Roo mattresses are not one consistent thickness. The small side is an inch thinner than the large side. That is because when the bunk door is open its surface is an inch lower that the interior woodwork / shelf that the mattress lays on inboard. If you use a standard mattress, even if it folds, its going to be fairly uncomfortable for the person who is laying over that transition at the hinge.

61Tele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:23 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61Tele View Post
Those Roo mattresses are not one consistent thickness. The small side is an inch thinner than the large side. That is because when the bunk door is open its surface is an inch lower that the interior woodwork / shelf that the mattress lays on inboard. If you use a standard mattress, even if it folds, its going to be fairly uncomfortable for the person who is laying over that transition at the hinge.

That's another reason that mattress recommendations from non-hybrid owners, should be ignored.
Many RVers don't even know what a hybrid is and have no clue how they differ from other types of RVs.
The only substitute I've seen that was successful, were air beds.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:05 AM   #18

I have a 2011 shamrock and the bunk area is level. Not sure when they changed the design. But it's definitely some to p a y attention to.
chapat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:20 PM   #19

Replacement mattress new from manufacturer

You can order directly from Forest River parts. Long wait, 8-12 weeks. It is the foldable heated mattress for Hybrid bunks.
Mine should be arriving any day. I'll update when received.
2012 Flagstaff Shamrock 19
Vic Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #20

Mattress cost?
Shipping cost?
(Just curious.)

-- Chuck

Tags
replacement, roo