Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #21

I just buttoned up our 23SS Roo yesterday after a few days in the woods and can offer the following:
The other hard shell campers hooked up and left while I was still sweeping tent material and closing up the ends. The rear bunk hung out over a small drop off and I couldn't get enough leverage to push it closed. I could release the latches and let it fall, but I had to pull forward 10ft to a level spot to close it. I still enjoy the camper but my wife doesn't like to make a bed she can't walk around and would now like a non tent camper. I appreciate all the screens and breeze at nite that I wouldn't get otherwise.
Good luck!
mabie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #22

I had thought of that regarding the dogs. I'm a senior citizen and am wondering if this hybrid would be easy for me to set up. Sooo many questions so I appreciate everyone's input.
Rdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:02 PM   #23

Hmm... another good perspective. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdees View Post
I had thought of that regarding the dogs. I'm a senior citizen and am wondering if this hybrid would be easy for me to set up. Sooo many questions so I appreciate everyone's input.
I'm 6' and 64 years old and never had any problems lowering and raising the bunk ends but I've read that some do have issues.
The newer pre-attached tent ends are easier to setup but closing up will require tucking in canvas caught in the seals.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #25

Quote:
I liked my rpod with the slide but I would like to have something with a little more room and a bit larger bathroom
The hybrids are nice and my 183 is fairly light... but, start adding slides and you get up in hitch weight quickly. Although you have the Sequoia, you do have to be looking at payload capacity more than tow weight capability and that requires you to factor in hitch weight. Do not be fooled by published hitch weight numbers as they are for a factory delivered trailer prior to adding propane tanks and mandatory battery to the camper which adds easily another 100# to the tongue weight.

Your most limiting factor in pulling your trailer will probably be PAYLOAD. Your payload capacity for YOUR vehicle is published on a Yellow sticker on the driver's side door jamb. Mine is shown below and the payload number on mine is 1309#... you have to add all cargo in your vehicle including dogs, food, passengers (excluding the driver) and a WDH (weight distributing hitch) which could easily add 80# more PLUS the actual trailer hitch weight. That number should be less than your Sequoia payload number.

If you decide against a hybrid, then single axle trailers would be the next thing to look at. Try to avoid slide models as they add trailer weight and consequently hitch weight which is calculated as the weight of your trailer TIMES 10% to 15% ( 12.5% average). This is the MINIMUM you need to be safe when pulling a trailer. Your Sequoia may also need to be upgraded to LT tires instead of P rated tires... to help avoid sway problems. Something that you probably did not have to worry about with your R-pod (sway or WDH), but you DO have to worry about with a larger, heavier trailer.

Not trying to confuse you only trying to put all out there to help make a correct decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	payload.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	185469  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #26

Thanks again. I'm absorbing all this information to be able make the best decision for me.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:00 PM   #27

I appreciate your time and effort in helping me look at all aspects. I've been researching several different RV options and they all have pros and cons. My ultimate goal is to try and go full time so whatever I buy that will be the major factor. Not sure a hybrid would be the best choice??
Old 09-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I'm 6' and 64 years old and never had any problems lowering and raising the bunk ends but I've read that some do have issues.
The newer pre-attached tent ends are easier to setup but closing up will require tucking in canvas caught in the seals.
but with the attached canvas, the fan trick really does suck it all in so there is not really any tucking to do though we do make a quick final check as we close it up just to be sure there is no canvas caught in the seals.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:12 PM   #29

Thanks! I saw that on YouTube I think?
Old 09-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #30

I looked extensively at hybrids and they’ve got a lot of advantages if you need the additional sleeping space. If can allow you to tow more with less since the frame and box doesn’t need to have additional floor space to accomodate extra people. Is there a reason hybrids are on your mind? I will say this, sleeping under the canvas is a love or hate thing. DW was closer to the latter so I had to choose a diff route
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:18 PM   #31

We are on our third hybrid.......I'm 67 and never had problems closing the end doors even with my COPD.
However, I just read your post that you will be going FULL TIME........In my opinion, and hybrid wouldn't be the way to go for a full timer. Think twice before buying, and keep reading others opinion before making a decision.

Dre
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
We are on our third hybrid.......I'm 67 and never had problems closing the end doors even with my COPD.
However, I just read your post that you will be going FULL TIME........In my opinion, and hybrid wouldn't be the way to go for a full timer. Think twice before buying, and keep reading others opinion before making a decision.

Dre
Totally agree with this. One big reason why we sold our hybrid and bought a traditional TT. We don't full time but we do go south for the winter and are gone for 3 months.
Having to take down and setup the tent ends for that long gets old. And the DW wanted a walk-around bed.
But we still miss the openness of a hybrid.
A hybrid is definitely not a good choice for fulltime living.

I will say that the Hybrid community, IMHO, is the nicest and friendliest RV community out there. Maybe because we're a smaller community and a bit of a maverick, since we choose a RV that's half popup and half TT. It's somewhat of a mutant RV.[emoji6]
That's why I still hang around the various Hybrid forums I belong to.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #33

You may wish to consider one of the 19 ft Mini Lites:

Rockwood Mini Lite 1905 Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

Single axle and about 4500 lbs GVWR.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #34

I happened across some YouTube videos about them so I thought I would research.this option. I'm not sure it will be the best choice for me since I'm hoping to go full or at least part-time in my RV. So many options and factors to consider. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #35

I agree...I think other options would be better. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #36

I'm thankful I found this group... it's given me quite a bit to think about. Thanks again for your time and help.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:41 PM   #37

As I said in my post, take all the time you need and you will make the right decision. Hybrids are beautiful, but not for a full timer.
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #38

Thank you and think something else would serve my desire to be a full or part-time RVer.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:25 PM   #39

Thanks. I'm going to look it up.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #40

Another thing to consider is how you travel.
If your travel pattern includes sleeping at Walmart while in transit, Hybrids are less comfortable than hard side TT for you can't (or shouldn't) put the beds out ...

Hybrids are for those that like that "adventure" feeling of sleeping under canvas.
That sensation of "yes! I'm beating the weather" when it's pouring rain outside and you are dry, warm and cozy inside your tent bed...
If that moves you and that feeling is more important than the compromises you have to do to get that, then a Hybrid is for you.

By the end, any camper is a compromise.

I do miss the "adventure" feeling of sleeping under canvas and the easy to tow, maneuver and park that my 23IKSS provided me but now I have more space for cargo and more comfort while overnight at Walmart but that came with the need to maneuver like a freight cargo ship...it is a thing anyone that have a big rig need to live with ....
You just need to find out what compromises you can live with....

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, shamrock