Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2018, 10:04 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Did you not use PUGs? We lived in California and had no heat issues with our hybrid, as long as we used the PUGs and Reflectix.
I second that. We took a trip out west with our hybrid, we were in 100+ heat in Utah and Arizona. The use of PUGs and reflectix kept the tent ends reasonable.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammy View Post
My Roo had/has a mold/mildew problem. Have to clean the canvas frequently. Especially in winter with the propane gas. I still love it, though.
Sounds like you are getting condensation. Unzip the tent window just a bit or crack open the roof vent even in cold weather camping. This will help along with using PUGs. We do both and do not have mold/mildew issues at all.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammy View Post
My Roo had/has a mold/mildew problem. Have to clean the canvas frequently. Especially in winter with the propane gas. I still love it, though.
If you are implying that your furnace is creating moisture inside your camper, you are falling victim to an urban legend.

A propane gas furnace won't put moisture into a camper or cause a mold/mildew condition anymore than an electric heater. Although burning gas does create moisture, the combustion gases are all vented outside. If you are getting moisture in your rig due to running the propane furnace, you have a dangerous situation, because you are not only getting the moisture, but the combustion gases like carbon monoxide.

The real culprit is the moisture given off by the humans in the rig, condensing on the cold shell/canvas of the camper. What you're heating the camper with is immaterial. It's the moisture you're breathing out (and sweating out) condensing on the cold surfaces.

Now you will add moisture if you are burning propane gas on your gas stove, because all the combustion gases remain in the camper. Not to mention moisture given off by whatever you're heating.

Hence the suggestion to open a vent to allow the moisture to escape and the PUGs to improve canvas insulation and thus reduce condensation.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:07 PM   #64

Roo/shamrock advice

[QUOTE=HappyCamper1962;1922448]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
For condensation concerns, we had bunk end fans in all beds and ran them in the winter to keep air circulating for zero condensation issues. Also to supplement, if really cold outside, we would unzip a corner on each bed for airflow. Used bunk end covers and inside reflective windshield visors in the really hot summer when we camped with no shade and the AC cooled.

The smallest electric dehumidifier from Lowe’s travels with us in the Roo 21SS and has completely eliminated the condensation, even in 20’s degree weather and with indoor cooking.
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Hisense-35-Pi...yABEgIrRfD_BwE
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:00 AM   #65
Site Team

[QUOTE=Velosprout;1927265]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper1962 View Post

The smallest electric dehumidifier from Lowe’s travels with us in the Roo 21SS and has completely eliminated the condensation, even in 20’s degree weather and with indoor cooking.
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Hisense-35-Pi...yABEgIrRfD_BwE
That's fine if you have hookups. But we almost always dry camped with our hybrid, since California state and national park campsites rarely have electric hookups.
So dehumidifiers aren't usable.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #66

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try these suggestions. Happy camping.
Pammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #67

When we were at your stage here in eastern Iowa, we talked with the dealer who had hybrids. Whether truthful or not we don't know, but he said that he has the greatest number of shop visits for the hybrid style travel trailer. We went with a Rockwood MiniLite with one slide and it has been good for us.
dkrohse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #68

We have an older shamrock upgraded from a pop up because wanted more room for family of 5. Looking at upgrading again just because of tent ends. Mold can happen almost overnight if put away even slightly damp. We use popupgizmos that i made myself with reflective emergency blankets and tarp clips that i purchased on amazon ( check pintrest for diy). Keeps it dry in the rain and helps keep trailer cooler in sunny spots. Only thing is you need to dry them too before packing up. Kids are older so only 3 of us go now. Like the idea of just closing the door if we have to leave in the rain which has happened more times than not.
DonnaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #69

Rockwood Roo

We are finishing up our 3rd year in a Roo 23SS and have really enjoyed it. We like the open airy feel we get from the end beds and they don't take up any floor space. The bed ends are sealed well and we have had no problems with any leaks and we have been rained on a lot this year. Obviously, the hybrids will not hold in the heat as well as a totally enclosed RV, so you may need to run your furnace more or pack extra blankets if you are camping in cooler weather. We will be towing ours from Michigan to AZ this winter for a couple of months of snowbirding.
marvannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #70

On our 14th season with our 2006 Roo 23SS. The roof vent in the main cabin turned to granola and literally crumbled this Spring. 20 minutes on the roof with hand tools fitted a new vent lid. While up there I noted the little caps over the tank vents crumbling and replaced them.

Heavy rains over Labor Day weekend revealed weepage and drops at the rear bed upper frame. Had this problem 14 years ago and it was the same thing. Water leaking in around the clearance lights. Recaulked them.

Campground selection is more important with a tent trailer than closed box. Nearing the neighbor's AC or the obliviots who have external speakers on their trailers can be avoided most places. State parks don't pay real estate taxes and often have huge sites. Some commercial camp grounds squeeze the sites in very tightly. Avoid Candy Hill (Winchester VA). The canopy on the neighboring trailer almost touched our camper and I could read by their tacky lights. The penned cattle in the auction yard right next door was an additional feature.

Back-in sites are preferred by us -- no road behind the rear bunk. Backing onto a lake or river is very nice with a hybrid or popup. The full box campers get neither the view nor open air.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:35 AM   #71

Hybrid Roo 23SS

I have a Roo 23SS that we bought used. 2012 model. I love the layout and space. The entire kitchen, couch, living room area is a slide out which gives us elbow room. It can sleep a family but with just two of us there's a lot of room. New to slide outs, I wondered about some of the problems I see folks posting. I think as with any RV/Trailer you have to go around and check things out. Don't let any issues drag on and do the maintenance regularly. The tent material is really very durable vinyl and ours has never leaked. Be sure you don't pinch the fabric in the seal when closing and the Velcro seals are mated solidly. I get a 28 foot trailer in a smaller footprint which cuts down the weight. My 2007 Ram 1500 5.7l V8 does the job but you can expect 8-9 mpg when towing. A diesel might do better but cost vs miles isn't really any better. If I was full timing I'd buy the diesel. Good Luck and Happy Trails!:

signhavefun:
SteveDodson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, shamrock