Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2021, 08:17 PM   #1

Roo/Shamrock.. are they as good as I think?

Hello,

My wife and I are soon to be first time RV owners. We have two young daughters. We would like to be able to camp every now and then with the DW parents. (She would like).

I have really fallen in love with the Roo/Shamrock 235S. Unfortunately they don't make the 23IKSS which would be our favorite.

I have watched hundreds of hours of YT videos on these units. It really seems like Rockwood makes a well made product. They are absolutely packed full of features.

I am in love with the idea of a 25ft towing trailer since I will be new to this which expands after we get there.

If we don't get this model. I'm leaning towards a Rockwood Mini Lite with the murphy bed and bunkhouse.

Anyways, Sorry for rambling. My question is this...

My wife keeps falling in love with cheaper units that are larger. 30ft long units from Wildwood, or Puma. They are signifcantly cheaper than even the hybrid from Rockwood. But when I look into these models....... they look pretty on the inside but seem to be made of paper and bubblegum.

Are the Rockwoods really a step above everything else quality wise, or am I just being naïve?

I'm willing to get a smaller unit if its all we can budget, or should I just get the bigger cheaper units and not worry about the perceived quality issues?

Thanks
Dinozero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:36 PM   #2
Site Team

First, you need to tell us what you're towing with.
I had a 2007 Roo 23SS that we had for 10 years. It was well made and still in great shape after the 10 years.
I'm a big fan of Rockwood but unfortunately they don't make a 5th wheel floorplan we like. If they did, they would be my 1st choice.
Rockwood is definitely a step from Wildwood or Puma. Rockwood is mid level.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
First, you need to tell us what you're towing with.
I had a 2007 Roo 23SS that we had for 10 years. It was well made and still in great shape after the 10 years.
I'm a big fan of Rockwood but unfortunately they don't make a 5th wheel floorplan we like. If they did, they would be my 1st choice.
Rockwood is definitely a step from Wildwood or Puma. Rockwood is mid level.

Wow! Surprised to see you refer to Rockwood as mid level. Around here where I'm at in KY everyone acts like they are the top of the chain. (I guess of course I know there are more expensive).

That just makes me think all the all stuff I'm looking at... is really cheap.

Any thoughts on Shadow Cruiser?

I am towing with a 2021 F150 with the 3.5EB with the "Max Tow" package. I am rated up to 13,800LBS. with 1700lbs of payload.

I know I want to say way safe of those numbers....
Old 04-26-2021, 09:11 PM   #4
Site Team

Rockwood and Flagstaff are the same, and made in the same plants just with some cosmetic differences.

You might want to compare dealers/prices with the Rockwood vs the Flagstaff. You will find the same RV in both lines many times.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...wood-mini-lite

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...aff-micro-lite

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:55 PM   #5
Take The Road Less Travld

We had the 2013 233s roo. We loved the trailer and our 1500 pulled it just fine. Although it was well made, the 4in bed on plywood was hard to sleep in for more then a weekend. At least for our backs. The kids were fine. And if you sleep in the cooler weather, the condensation build up in the bunk ends are still a thing. Those are the only two negatives with the roo’s I can say. Other than that, it’s light, short, no popping up and down. You get the travel trailer feel with the bunk end sleeping quarters. After 7 years, we wanted longer weekends and less condensation, so we upgraded.

Everything is a stage. Someone told us when we got started and bought the 276HW pop up, that we would be upgrading regularly. The pop up was just to see if we liked camping. And we did. Then the next one was because I was tired of popping up and down the camper all the time. But at that time we still liked having bunk ends and opening up the camper to let fresh air in. Now our third one is because we want to go on longer trips and go places where we wouldn’t be a human taco for bears.

Take you time and think about where you want to go, how you want to camp and what you have to pull the trailer with.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:37 PM   #6

We love our Roo 19. I wanted simple with decent storage. The 235S is pretty swanky. The slide was my main issue with it. I csmp to relax. I don't want to have any extra stuff to fix.

We looked at several hybrid brands and kept coming back to Roo/Shamrocks. I liked thier construction the best, I found they include many of the "upgrades" I would do anyway, and the dealer near me had a better rep than the others.

The condensation issue brought up is easily solved by cracking the end window on the bunks and running the roof fan on low. It stays plenty warm into the upper 20's. We don't turn the heat on until it drops below 40. We use the heated mattresses.

When thinking about the model you want, keep in mind where you spend most of your time. We live outside except for sleeping and the occasional washout. So, we do not need recliners and a bunch of indoor space. If we have guests, the kids get tents and the adults get bunks.

The one drawback for us is packing up when wet. Like a tent or PUP you will have to dry out the bunk ends before storing for more than a few days.

We take our first extended trip this summer, 2.5 weeks. I'll let you know if the 19 is still great or if a 235S is in our future.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:18 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinozero View Post

Any thoughts on Shadow Cruiser?

I am towing with a 2021 F150 with the 3.5EB with the "Max Tow" package. I am rated up to 13,800LBS. with 1700lbs of payload.

I know I want to say way safe of those numbers....
Are you getting those numbers from a brochure because that 13800 number is a max amount for a specifically spec'd F150.
And usually the payload capacity won't be an even number like 1700. Is 1700lbs on the driver's door yellow Tires and Loading sticker?
As far as the Shadow Cruiser, it's not a FR product and they aren't a common brand like Rockwood.
And for a hybrid, the Roo/Shamrock hybrids are the top level. There are more high end trailer brands but none of them make hybrids.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Are you getting those numbers from a brochure because that 13800 number is a max amount for a specifically spec'd F150.
And usually the payload capacity won't be an even number like 1700. Is 1700lbs on the driver's door yellow Tires and Loading sticker?
As far as the Shadow Cruiser, it's not a FR product and they aren't a common brand like Rockwood.
And for a hybrid, the Roo/Shamrock hybrids are the top level. There are more high end trailer brands but none of them make hybrids.
Thank you.

Sorry about those towing specs I kind of jumped around.

The 13,800lbs is the specific towing for my exact model from the brochure/manual. But then I rounded up slightly on my payload. My payload sticker is 1694lbs.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:37 AM   #9

For starters stop calling the Roo a "RV." It's a camper! You'll be sleeping in tents, not in a box. Not sure how how your bride feels about tent camping, albeit off the ground with a bathroom and kitchen, but mine (retired Army Nurse Corps) insists on a hybrid!

With proper maintenance there's no reason a 2022 model won't last as long as our 2006.

Your F150 will tow any Roo "like it's not back there." Not really, of course, but the Ford towing system and brake controller is top line.

-- Chuck
Old 04-27-2021, 08:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
For starters stop calling the Roo a "RV." It's a camper! You'll be sleeping in tents, not in a box. Not sure how how your bride feels about tent camping, albeit off the ground with a bathroom and kitchen, but mine (retired Army Nurse Corps) insists on a hybrid!

With proper maintenance there's no reason a 2022 model won't last as long as our 2006.

Your F150 will tow any Roo "like it's not back there." Not really, of course, but the Ford towing system and brake controller is top line.

-- Chuck
Thank you! I knew I was using that term incorrectly but wasn’t sure why.

Yeah, my wife is still very nervous about the tent sleeping.

But apart from the Roo, we don’t find common ground until we hit 30-32 footers.

I’m not sure I’m ready to handle a trailer that big.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:10 AM   #11
Site Team

Hey Andrew, welcome to FRF!
I don't care if you call it an RV or a travel trailer or a hybrid!
It's a nice versatile rig.
You should be able to tow it easily.
People who claim "I don't know it's back there" are full of hockey pucks but you'll be fine.
My only real comment is those canvas slide outs have to be dried so if you park it at home- no problem. You can open it up at home after a trip and let it get good and aired out.
If you have to take it right from the campground to a storage lot- that can be an issue.
Also just a mention of noise. Those canvas sides do not block much sound at all. Are you or your wife light sleepers?

Good luck with your search/research.
Happy Trails!!
Dan in Kentucky
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:13 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinozero View Post
Thank you! I knew I was using that term incorrectly but wasn’t sure why.

Yeah, my wife is still very nervous about the tent sleeping.

But apart from the Roo, we don’t find common ground until we hit 30-32 footers.

I’m not sure I’m ready to handle a trailer that big.
It's semantics. Call it whatever you want.

RV = camper = trailer = rig. They are all literally the same thing.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Hey Andrew, welcome to FRF!
I don't care if you call it an RV or a travel trailer or a hybrid!
It's a nice versatile rig.
You should be able to tow it easily.
People who claim "I don't know it's back there" are full of hockey pucks but you'll be fine.
My only real comment is those canvas slide outs have to be dried so if you park it at home- no problem. You can open it up at home after a trip and let it get good and aired out.
If you have to take it right from the campground to a storage lot- that can be an issue.
Also just a mention of noise. Those canvas sides do not block much sound at all. Are you or your wife light sleepers?

Good luck with your search/research.
Happy Trails!!
Dan in Kentucky

The “noise” issue you mention has been a concern in our conversations. She’s a pretty light sleeper.

We have young kids. There’s a lot of “HEYY!! PUT THAT DOWN! STOP HITTING YOUR SISTER, DONT LOOK AT EACHOTHER” in our family. (2 and 3)

So also a little concerned about us being the noisey neighbors.

I am also considering a mini lite.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:03 AM   #14

We love our 235S. Going into our 3rd year. Only little minor issues like with most campers. We love the space the hybrid gives. The noise hasn't been an issue but we were used to pop ups for years so we were used to that sleeping arrangement.

Nights Camped in 2021-?

2020-8, 2019-27, 2018-12, 2017-29, 2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #15

The term "RV" for a tented hybrid camper is beyond pretentious. 40-foot motorhomes are "RVs." I go as far as avoiding "RV sites" so I'm not subjected to these beasts and the attendant noise. State parks which due to not paying real estate taxes often have very large campsites which are quiet and have lots of room. And shade. Camper trailers are a different lifestyle than the motorhome and travel trailer "RV" mindset.

-- Chuck
Old 04-27-2021, 09:26 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
recreational vehicle noun
English Language Learners Definition of recreational vehicle
US : a large vehicle that often has a bathroom, kitchen, and beds for use during travel and camping
Literally anything with wheels and a bed is, by definition, an RV.

It could be anything from a pop-up trailer with nothing but two pull-out beds to a million dollar motor home lined with gold fixtures.

There's even a website called goRving.com which includes all the different ways to camp.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #17
Site Team

We get into this discussion a few times in the forums where we are all here to learn new things. As taken from the RV Industry Associations website.

Rvs are mostly classified as motorhomes or towables but they are all RV's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210427-101131.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	252963

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:30 AM   #18

We own a Roo 183. When looking at other campers, we found what you are finding. Rockwood is just a step above others when comparing against the same size/format. We found other campers didn't have the fit and finish or storage capabilities of the Roo. Some similar layouts didn't have uppers over the dinette. Some had lower quality kitchen sinks / range tops. Some had lower quality showers (curtains vs. the Roos hard plastic doors). We couldn't go any longer, so the 183 floor plan gives us maximum living space in the shortest length.

Being able to have 3 queen mattresses for us and 2 kids is great. We spend time in the trailer when the weather wouldn't allow us to be outside (eating and playing boardgames). Even though we have a TV, we're out camping and decide not to use it (except for rainy movie nights with the kids).

With respect to the canvas sides: Yes, they sweat and don't provide sound/temperature insulation. That's part of the experience for me. The sound of rain, thunder, birds, and kids are all part of why we like camping. I also enjoy finding ways to stay warm and keep dry. If you're not into that stuff, you may want to shy away from a hybrid. For us though, it's part of the experience.

I grew up with a Bonair popup in the 80s, so the Hybrid is a nice upgrade from that experience
Pad22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:11 PM   #19

I have a 2019 Flagstaff/Shamrock 233S and love it. I easily tow it with my Chevy Silverado 1500. It is short enough that it is no hassle towing/backing up but expands to a spacious camper with the slide-out and 3 bunks. I like the feel of "tent" camping with the bunk ends. The only downside is you hear everything because you are sleeping in a "tent". For our light sleepers, ear plugs solve that problem. Knock-on-wood, we've had no issues and it had held up well. I expect it to last us another 12-15 years.
ssjkdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:53 PM   #20

I like the Roos for a hybrid. But they tend to be hot, cold and loud around highways and other people. So I sold mine and bought a Rockwood.

I like the 24 footer Rockwood Ultra-Lite a lot. It has a Murpy bed and one large slide out.

Hybrids are easy to pull, but not as good when you get there. A 30 foot TT is hard to pull but great when you get there.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, shamrock