Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2021, 02:02 PM   #1

Roo Tankage (235S)

So, in an effort to learn where MY 2022 235S tanks and fill levels were at, I used a digital flowmeter ($18.xx from Amazon), filled my freshwater and black tanks, and measured when the corresponding idiot lights came up SOLID on the general control panel. I kept the water heater CLOSED/BYPASSED. Note: I didn't do my gray tank, simply because (1) it involved a hose running in through the trailer and (2) I ran out of time ... but I will followup up with that at a later date.

FRESHWATER (specced as 54 Gal):
1/3 - 13.8 Gal
2/3 - 30.0 Gal
Full - 42.3 Gal
Top - 54.3 Gal (when water was coming to the overflow vent built into the input area)

BLACK (specced as 30 Gal):
1/3 - 5.7 Gal
2/3 - 12.3 Gal
Full - 19.1 Gal
Top - 25.4 Gal (when wastewater was visible coming up the waste pipe but well below the valving mechanism)

Initial Takeaways:
1. The FRESHWATER tank really is 54 gallons, as specs indicate (without the 6 gallons of water heater counted)
2. I likely had more room in my BLACK tank (underreported by 4.6 gallons).
3. This will likely be different for my GRAY tank*
3. This will likely be different for YOUR tanks**

*As the tanks are FLAT, the relative height difference for sensor position makes a big difference in how much the tank sensor reports that any given tank is holding at that particular level.

**depending on where the factory installed YOUR sensors.

Biggest benefit/knowledge/takeaway for me:

1. SO LONG AS I START WITH AN EMPTY FRESHWATER TANK, I can throw my digital flow meter on my freshwater tank when filling up, and add near as makes no difference 54 gallons to my system, going well past the 'FULL' mark on the control panel. So long as the tank starts empty, I can use my flowmeter as a rough fill gauge (freeing us up from one person being on the control panel and one person being at the fresh tank fill). Not that this really matters, I can also just fill 'till water starts to be heard/comes out the overflow vent and yield the same result (the fill gauge just gives me a target for how long I'll be at the fill station and be ready to shut off/disconnect).

2. I've got a LOT of flushes left in the system even after my black tank reads FULL. I won't panic about getting to the dump station, or hold off on using the head in the rig when we get close to the F mark.

To validate, I am going to repeat these tests, adding the gray tank to the cycle, and then print and add capacity stickers to the control panel as a reminder. I'll circle back and will report to this thread.

I hope you find this useful. Just my .02. Your mileage may vary.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:16 PM   #2

Super helpful, thank you for posting!
Old 10-18-2021, 11:11 PM   #3

Appreciate the intel!
robcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, tank