Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2023, 09:18 AM   #1

Question Roo- toilet not filling back up with water

We noticed this trip that are toilet is not filling back up with water after we flush. A very small leak puts a tiny amount in, but not what it is supposed to. What do I look for and how do I fix this?
minattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:25 AM   #2

My understanding is only a small amount is standing in the toilet
Before you do a number2 spray some water around the bowl
To wet the sides

Minimal water use on Rv toilets that sit straight over the black tank
Old 05-28-2023, 11:36 AM   #3

Roo toilets don't "refill" with water that I'm aware of. Mine certainly does not nor do I expect it to. What toilet do you have?

-- Chuck
Old 05-28-2023, 12:41 PM   #4

Mine does have a residual after use but it's minimal - just enough to cover the gasket of the flush valve. It's basically what was left in the tube at the top of the toilet when the flush valve is closed and the water shuts off. That tube drains by gravity and leaves enough to help seal the valve.

As others said, run some water in it before use. It controls the smell in use and makes it dump easier.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Roo toilets don't "refill" with water that I'm aware of. Mine certainly does not nor do I expect it to. What toilet do you have?

-- Chuck
The only water that runs after it flushes is a slight leak, not even enough to cover the opening after it seals. The only reason I ask is becuase I have had other campers that fill some, but this one doesnt really at all. I dont want it to smell up after use and thought it wasnt normal not get enough water to at least cover the opening.
minattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by minattz View Post
... I dont want it to smell up after use and thought it wasnt normal not get enough water to at least cover the opening.
I'm not plumbing expert by any stretch of my imagination, but that doesn't seem like imminent failure. I personally wouldn't do more about it than squirting a splash of water in the bowl with the pedal. If it gets worse, pursue other options.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by minattz View Post
We noticed this trip that are toilet is not filling back up with water after we flush. A very small leak puts a tiny amount in, but not what it is supposed to. What do I look for and how do I fix this?
These toilets (on modern Roo's) don't have refill valves/functions. The ball valve at the bottom of the toilet is "long" enough to allow you to /partially/ press the flush lever (after a full flush) and run a little extra water into the bowl, if that's what you want. (This is generally how we do it). Likewise, there's a little head of pressure in the system when you release the flush lever, such that some water can trickle out of the line AFTER the ball valve seals and before the actual toilet valve (actuated by the pedal/lever) is entirely closed.

Note: as the black seal at the bottom of the toilet (which interfaces with the ball valve) ages, it loses the ability to stay flush with the ball valve, and will allow water in the bowl to leak past it, resulting in a dry bowl. You can refresh the existing old seal by removing, soaking in hot (near boiling) water, and then replacing, or you can just replace with a whole new black seal.

Hope this helps.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, toilet, water