Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2021, 07:11 PM   #1

Question Roo19 Questions

Hi all,

We're on our 3rd season with our 2018 Roo 19. Couple questions for those that are more experienced with these, as this is our first camper.

- I'd like to turn the wardrobe closet into a closet with shelves. We never hang clothes in there, and never will. Shelves will work much better. I was thinking of putting some thin pine strips along the wall, and then cutting some MDF to fit as shelves. I have that all lying around the house, which is why I would use that. My problem is I'm a little hesitant to drill into the walls, especially the wall against the fridge, as I can't tell how much room is there. Has anyone created shelves here, and if so, what was your method?

- Our hvac system has 2 vents one under the bench to the table, which is where the unit is. The other under the shower in the bathroom. Recently we are not getting much airflow out of the one by the shower. I took the plate off to see if anything was disconnected under the shower, but all seems to be good there. The duct right off the unit going to the bathroom seems to warm up, but is not warm under the shower or even under the bathroom sink where I can access behind a panel. There is a stretch behind the fridge and closet that I can't really access. Anyone know of a way to get back there to access it? I'm wondering if there is a problem with the duct in that stretch that I can't reach.

- In addition to making the shelves in the wardrobe closet, if anyone has any other cool mods to add storage space, I would love it. We love the camper, but with 3 kids and all our stuff, it gets tight. Especially right now because one is a baby, and we have the table down and pack and play set up on top of the table. We did use a couple shelves in the bathroom this most recent trip for some clothes as we had some extra room in there. If I'm able to make shelves in wardrobe, I feel that alone would really free up a lot of space. Currently we just all have a duffel bag, and put them on floor or on couch or in bed when we're not sleeping. It's sort of a pain.

Thanks for any advice.
Ranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:21 PM   #2

We use these in our bedroom wardrobe closets:
https://www.amazon.com/Household-Ess...dp/B0041HLT80/
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #3

I hung a shoe bag from the bathroom door that has a dozen pockets to put things in. I glued pine strips to the walls to support wire Rubbermaid shelves. Dig around in the lower cupboards and remove the false walls to make more available space to tuck things.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #4

I screwed pine 1x's to the walls of my wardrobe. Just use screws that are the correct length. Extra long ones will cause issues on the fridge side. I did find a "stud" in the walls I took advantage of. We use our shelves as a pantry.

I thought about adding a shelf above the couch like the one over the bunks. There are only 3 of us so we have not needed the extra space yet.

The heat duct may run behind the cabinet under the wardrobe. There may be a panel in the back of it that can be removed.

The storage across the front of the TT is mostly blocked off. I removed the panel behind the door that allows access to the water pump. I put my hoses and water filter in there. My pump is mounted to the floor and I plan to move it to make that space easier to use.

Also the 2 panels between the dinette and couch under the forward bunk have space behind them. They can be pushed in to remove them. I saw someone else in the forum rig up magnets to the panels so they can be removed and replaced from the front allowing access to that empty space.

I also punched out the panel above my stereo to make a charging cubby for phones. I connected a USB strip in there to handle multiple devices.

In the linen closet, there is space under the bottom shelf. We keep cleaning supplies in there. Just lift up the luan to gain access.

I also store non heat sensitive items under the settee the furnace is in. Spare parts, tools, etc.

As rsdata said, look around for panels in cabinets, storage areas, under settees, etc. and remove them.

There is an incredible amount of room in the Roo 19. You just have to uncover it.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
There is an incredible amount of room in the Roo 19. You just have to uncover it.
Don't get me wrong - I will look into all these options, but I find it pretty dumb that we have to uncover storage room. Rockwood should have just created better actual storage room.

Thanks all for the replies. Very helpful
Ranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:10 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranks View Post
Don't get me wrong - I will look into all these options, but I find it pretty dumb that we have to uncover storage room. Rockwood should have just created better actual storage room.

Thanks all for the replies. Very helpful
You have the smallest Roo made. There's only so much space to work with. That's a big reason we bought a 23SS. Tons of kitchen counterspace, pantry, closet, dinette seat storage and front/back storage compartments.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:14 PM   #7

What has been offered about screws and being careful works. For shelves in our old Roo that had the wardrobe like yours, i avoided even doing that by simply using the pine 1x's as "legs" standing them into the corners of the cabinet, holding them with a dab of hot glue, then pre-drilling down through the shelf material (i used 3/8" plywood cause thats what I had in the garage) and used a wood screw on each of the four legs. Once the bottom shelf was in i repeated various heights and times with same process until all were where I wanted them. When we traded that rig in on our new Roo I simply reversed the process, re-hung the clothes pole and basically nobody knew the mod I had applied in there...easy peasy..

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:21 AM   #8

Removing the modesty panels in the lower cupboards can more than double storage there. I don't care if some of the plumbing shows when the cupboard is open.

-- Chuck

Tags
question, questions, roo