Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #1

Rookie

First time owners and I have a few questions. We have 2011 Rockwood Roo and have a few minor concerns. The most important issue we have is when we try to hook the trailer into a house outlet using the amp converter we keep blowing the house breaker. We tried multiple outlets and as soon as the prongs touch the socket...POP it blows. Any suggestions?

Secondly, My black and grey tanks do not empty all the way. It seems the drain valve sits to high in the tank.. Is this normal? As we prepare to winterize it does not seem right to have left over "stuff" in the tanks...

Lastly, when winterizing the trailer how do you confirm there is no water left in the hot water heater? I was looking for a drain plug but did not see one. This may also be a dumb question, should the battery be disconnected during the winteraztion of the trailer? And should I worry about charging the battery occasionaly during the winter? If so, do I hook the battery up again and plug the trailer into a house receptical?

Thanks for any help!
Armada Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #2

IF your outlet is a outside that you are plugging in to it is a GFCI . sometime they are a problem for Trailer shore power. You can do this simple thing. turn all your breaker off in you trailer & plug in. Turn your breaker back on one at a time to find you which circuit is tripping the house breaker. wast tank drain, make sure your level or block wheel to drain. (should drain level) Water heater drain bottom of water heater, you have a drain plug 1 1/6 socket make sure you turn off power at the panel or unplug. Battery disconnect if you don;t have a disconnect switch. trailer will drain battery down & help to charge every now & then. you cant hook them up for a day or just a charger Slow charge for day. but disconnect for storage.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #3

Camprat,
To clarify, disconnect the battery for storage. Is it recommended to hook up to the house outlet for charge a few times over the winter?
Armada Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #4

Just disconnect cable form battery. TT have a few things that drain down battery, If they drain to low it kill them & if you leave trailer plug in for long time it over charges them . So if you have a car charger slow charge them for a day or just hook them up for a day or two with trailer plug in to house charging them & then disconnect them. The best way is to get charger that is call a Battery Tender. They sale them At most Auto part store & RV supply dealer.

Also don't forget to blow out your water line or use RV antifreeze. Outside shower to if you have one. IF you done have anyway of blowing your line out or pumping rv antifreeze in, When draining you water heater open your faucet hot & cold side let the water drain out of the faucets & toilet to, to be safe do the above.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
Site Team

it would help to know which model Roo you have, especially in relation to your dump valve.

as was said, just disconnect the battery or store it somewhere. it should hold a charge thru the winter.

camprat has good suggestions with plugging in. you may want to change extension cords, if you're using one or you may want to try a different 30/15amp adapter.

there should be instructions for the water heater, with location of the drain plug.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #6

blowing the breaker

My 2011, 19 foot ROO blow the house breaker when I used the adapter provided with the camper. I went to WalMart and purched a yellow one and have not had problems since then.
reabcelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #7

Some of the same questions we had with our 06' Outback years ago. We purchased the yellow 30 to 20 amp plug and it solved our breaked problem at home. As far as the tanks not reading empty....we learned that we had to flush them at a mimimum twice after each use to get the gauge to read empty. I put quick connects on my battery, only using the battery on the road. Always brought it into the garage for the winter, charging it once a month.
GrowingGoatee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo