Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #1

Seeking caulking and sealing help.

Hello,

I have the 2007 Roo 233 no slide. I am having a time getting a bit of moisture out. I have sealed all around the front bunk door. The lower corner design is nuts on each side where there's little holes on each side. It seems to be getting moisture in there. Mine velcros on the sides and ties down with the bungees. I am also trying to figure if I should caulk around each latch on each side on the bunk door. It looks like they have never been caulked around. I'm the corners inside I have been tucking socks on there and switching them out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0913211703.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	262757   Click image for larger version

Name:	0913211657.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	262758  
Chad1317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad1317 View Post
Hello,

I have the 2007 Roo 233 no slide. I am having a time getting a bit of moisture out. I have sealed all around the front bunk door. The lower corner design is nuts on each side where there's little holes on each side. It seems to be getting moisture in there. Mine velcros on the sides and ties down with the bungees. I am also trying to figure if I should caulk around each latch on each side on the bunk door. It looks like they have never been caulked around. I'm the corners inside I have been tucking socks on there and switching them out.
We have the 2020 233S with the slide out. Kind of amazing how they are still basically the same rig though. When are you getting moisture in the bunk? When it's out or in, or both? Is it only when it rains or could it be from condensation? Is the canvas on that model year sealed or do you have to snap it in place over the ends of the bunk? Keep in mind that leaks can "travel". You're finding the moisture in the corner of the bunk, but it could be coming down the frame from the roof and only showing at the bunk. Check the front main seal for any cracks or separation from the roof membrane (and the roof itself in that area).
2013 Ford F150 SCrew, 5.0L, tow upgrade
Old: 2003 Jayco Kiwi 23D
Jim_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:41 PM   #3

Quote:
I have the 2007 Roo 233 no slide. I am having a time getting a bit of moisture out.
There is worlds of differences between pre-2012 Roo bunk ends and 2014 and newer bunks. Not only are the bunk end latches and hinges different but also the tent ends and how they attach to the trailer sides.

I have a 2014 but there are many members with the older style bunks.

Please answer the questions about your moisture problems.

Do you get moisture inside when the bunk is closed or open or both?

Many older threads talked about adding gutters above the bunk doors to keep rain from intruding thru the top bunk door seals when closed.

Do you get "moisture" inside the tent when the bunk end is open?

Moisture collects on the inside of the tent top due to condensation of your breathe in cooler weather. Opening a zipper and a roof fan vent will pull the moisture out of the bunk end.

Do you get rain in the tent end when open? It can't get thru the vinyl tent fabric... my tent ends have cotton canvas coverings on the two sides and rain will wick thru the cotton and make the mattress or a pillow wet if it sits against that cotton fabric.

Please be a little more specific about your moisture problem and we will see if we can solve it.

I read where you say
Quote:
I'm the corners inside I have been tucking socks on there and switching them out.
Why would you put a water-wicking sock in the corner? Just as a test buy some 2 or 3 inch blue painters tape and try taping the gap over on the outside to keep rain from entering that void if that is a problem. Is your tent taught so that water runs away to the outside instead of inside? Just trying to visualize the problem you describe.

Be aware as I said at the outset that post 2014 models have completely different bunk end doors, latches and tent attachment designs then your 2007 model. The bunk tents are affixed differently and they are hinged differently causing different "moisture" problems for each.

Start reading the older posts in the hybrid section for clues, and note that Shamrocks and Roos are sister trailer models made exactly the same.

PS... just last week I went thru a 12 hour downpour with no water intrusion on any of my three bunks... and because I treated the side cotton canvas it too remained dry on the inside.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:50 PM   #4

I'm noticing the moisture a little when its down. I always tend to see a little in those corners where the door folds in. I have had a little on the laminate of the bunk. I don't notice any moisture coming from the tent. It's vinyl on outside and canvas in the inside. It looks pretty clean except for the sides and where the zippers are. They are spotting up a little. I have about 10 of the dollar tree style damp rids in the camper now. It seems to help. The tent ends have snaps, velcro on the side, and bungee type chords. I added gutter spouts to the top which I think helps some. I plan on doing the black rubber weather stripping like I saw on a video to put around the frame of the door. It seems like that would have came standard.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #5

I didn't know what to put in that corner. I wasn't sure at the time. It just always seems to be a little moisture. It's just odd that the front bunk is angled and at the bottom of each corner, there's this square hole. I will try and put the blue tape on it tonight. I have to look into my back bunk too. It had moisture at the top where the metal bunk frame meets the inside ceiling. My tent is tight at all ends. The tent ends look to be newer. Just the person that caulked everything did not know what they are doing. I mainly seem to get moisture in front bunk on laminate when down. The laminate was wrinkled a little bit. The back on seems to make moisture at the top like mentioned and across the inside tent when folded up it has down some moisture down the canvas, cause it will have like black kind of marks going down. I haven't noticed any moisture with the side bunk. I have been leaving it closed.I was looking at the two old style latches again. I think I will caulk around the latches, because it did have some kind of bushings that seems to be getting worn out.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #6

Quote:
I have had a little on the laminate of the bunk.
Not sure what you mean laminate? Can you explain that term? INSIDE BUNK DOOR?

Quote:
It's vinyl on outside and canvas in the inside.
Well I think you mean it is colored vinyl on the outside with a white cross-hatch pattern on the inside, but vinyl is still vinyl.

My side zip curtains are a cotton fabric... not sure what the older style bunk ends are... I have heard they are 100% vinyl sides, end and top.

Quote:
I mainly seem to get moisture in front bunk on laminate when down.
laminate again? are you talking about the inside bunk door that the mattress lays on?

Quote:
The back on seems to make moisture at the top like mentioned and across the inside tent when folded up it has down some moisture down the canvas, cause it will have like black kind of marks going down.
sorry not getting any sense of what you are trying to say here

Quote:
I think I will caulk around the latches
I might try Eternabond tape... once the tape is applied it will not need to be serviced again...

Quote:
They are spotting up a little. I have about 10 of the dollar tree style damp rids in the camper now.
Keep the bunk open and put a fan on inside to move air around that bunk end... al long as you have dry sunny weather it should dry quickly.

If you are seeing some black mold I understand... mold/mildew will grow in the warm dark spots overnight...

I use 2 X mold remover from HomeDepot... melts away the black stuff in a minute... see pic below... you can wipe it with a damp rag in a few minutes and will never know what was there a few minutes before.

Quote:
I plan on doing the black rubber weather stripping like I saw on a video to put around the frame of the door. It seems like that would have came standard.
The black rubber weather striping is sold by the foot from FR... that gasket is important to have on correctly especially on the top edge with no gaps to keep water out of the bunks ends when folded up... typically the correct adjustment of the latches are to put a dollar bill between the gasket and the side and when latched into place the dollar bill should be snug but you should be able to pull the bill out with some tension on the bill... too tight and the gasket gets overly compressed...

The idea with the blue tape was to keep rain water from getting into the inside rear folds of the tent near the hinge area where it can weep into the inside of the bunk door bed area.

I BELIEVE THERE is a reason that the bed door ends were overhauled in the 2013-2014 model year... my tent ends are generally 100% dry up or down being used. Occasionally a get a cup or two of water laying on the tent vinyl when I open a bunk after a long storage time, but because the vinyl tent ends are permanently attached to the bunk door, no water gets inside to the inside bunk door sleeping area and the water runs off harmlessly never having soaked thru the vinyl... because the windows are always zipped shut.

Take some more pictures and clarify your language as I asked about above so we can get on the same page...

The gutters you added will help... lots of people over the years added their own design gutters.

As I said before start reading this ROO/Shamrock forum from back in the 2007 time frame and read what those owners had to say... NEW owners have different tent end problems.

I ran into a 2009 Roo owner last week and he had made himself a vinyl tent top/side curtain that he attaches above the side walls above the tent ends and velcros to the tent bunk to help shed rain water while camping. He camps a lot in the summer and claims they also shade the bunk and keeps it darker and cooler in the summer.

I have actually read here over the years of a number of Roo owners doing something similar.

Hopefully you can keep the camper in the driveway while you perfect what works for you.

I hope we are getting closer to fixing your problem...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 09-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #7

The laminate I speak of is meaning the inside of the bunk door. It tends to be closer to the hinge inside where the black bladder goes across inside . It's slightly wrinkled and puffed up. It leads new to believe there's a little bit of moisture inside. I layed on it and it seems ok. I have been worried about it. Although, I don't trust them to lay long ways inside. When me and my wife did camp once , we layed with our heads inside bunk and feet towards hallway. We had pillows under our legs when they hung off. It was moderately comfortable. I got the Large MD weather stripping 3/16-5/16. I saw a video that was popular on YouTube. He used that. It didn't look like he put it all the way snug to the inside. He had left about a 1/4 inch space all the way around. I noted that he made sure to have the corners solid and make the extra lengths if need be towards the bottoms. I also will be doing the White Compression stripping that you have to screw in below the gutters. That looks pretty good. It seems of how it puffs out will help repel the rain. I'll have to research the Eternabond for the latches. I'm guessing that's going to work better than caulking around the latches. I wish I had a picture of the 2009 that you saw that had the extra shelter velcroed above the bunk ends vinyl. Sounds very interesting.

With my bunk ends construction. It does seem to have the cotton sides. It reminds me of a pair of old Chuck Taylor Converse. So, I'll put the Mold Remover you mention on that. I actually have the 303 Fabric Guard from a post I saw that you mentioned about it. I'm still not sure about the rest of the inside construction. It may be that it's the cross hatched white vinyl you mentioned. I wasn't sure whether to put the 303 Fabric Guard on that like the sides. I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow. I have the bunks up right now though. It's been raining. So, I might not pull them down tomorrow. I appreciate your help and insight on this so much. I am hoping to wrap a lot of this up this weekend. I want to keep my bunks solid. We have only had it a couple months. My wife has been on me about it too lol.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:19 PM   #8

Quote:
It tends to be closer to the hinge inside where the black bladder goes across inside . It's slightly wrinkled and puffed up. It leads new to believe there's a little bit of moisture inside. I layed on it and it seems ok. I have been worried about it. Although, I don't trust them to lay long ways inside. When me and my wife did camp once , we layed with our heads inside bunk and feet towards hallway.
The bunk door cables I have read are rated for 500#. I would think that the hinge area is rated even higher as long as the hinge area is not damaged. The damage I would look for would be rotted wood under and around that bladder you mention. Mine is a piece of vinyl that bridges that gap. My hinge area remains dry, and I have squirted some light oil on the hinge when it is closed.

I use the 303 Fabric stuff on the cotton zip windows for water proofing, I use 303 UV on the outside to protect the vinyl from well UV... First I clean everything on the outside with Awesome dollar store cleaner and 2X Mold Remover under the zip flaps and the threads along the edges of the tent, then let it dry good and spray liberally with the 303 UV. and wipe a bit and let sun dry... unless stained on the inside I see no reason to use the 303 UV on the inside. The 2X stuff has lots of bleach so watch getting it on your clothes or bed linens... but it is safe for anywhere on the tent. I have literally soaked the cotton ends from both sides then rinsed and let air dry. Comes out perfectly white ( tannish actually). Be sure to retreat with fabric guard on both sides or any other fabric water-proofer.

Sounds like you got a handle on it. Look for bulged out fiberglass below the bunk beds. Slightly deformed fiberglass tells you that water has leaked into that area and started to un-glue the fiberglass from the interior foam and bulge out due to vapor pressure I suspect. Depending on how serious that is there are delam kits that allow you to fix that once you get a handle on the water intrusion.

Check the clearance lights as people have said they sometimes leak and get water inside. I just used a 1/2 inch strip of Eternabond across the top of the lights where the lens meets the body of the light. You will probably also see my thread on the use of Eternabond to seal the roof edges and openings around the fans. Good to get away from having to re-caulk all the time.

Make sure you look up/down the fridge vent and clean out bug nests that tend to collect there.

What area of the country are you in? Rainy like I am in northern KY?

good luck and good camping...

I'm off to FL in 20 days for 3 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2x recent ad.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	263263  
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 09-23-2021, 01:10 PM   #9

It appears we are having the same issue. When we purchased our Roo late last year 2007 21ss they disclosed the front bed door was damaged and reduced the price to allow for a new door. We replaced the new door at the begining of this summer and since we are seasonal it is always open. I noticed after the door was replaced we were getting water in the hinge area of the door. I believe I have found our leak we covered over the clearance light at the top just above the bed door with plastic and painters tape. It appears ever since we did that no more water in the hinge. We are replacing the clearance lights all around and recaulking before we close up for the winter. Hope this helps.
We too were putting towels in the hinge to soak up the water big mistake as the inside wood shelf is now completely rotted and needs replaced.
Zeus1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:49 PM   #10

I may be starting to get a handle on it. I have been tinkering with it everyday driving my wife and daughter crazy. Mine is the right lower front bunk hinge. The other two bunks look fine at the hinge.I have been following the YouTube video that's popular with putting the black rubber seal around the frames. Then, I put the white puffy compressed door seal under the gutters where you screw it in with the frame screws. That's terrible about yours. My front bunk is a little puffy on the front bunk inside. I think it's where it had got moisture inside some. I took the beds out intil I get Hypervent Underlay this Friday for all 3 bunks. It's so weird that my Roo looked pretty well taken care of, except when somebody replaced all 3 of the rubber seals that hold out into the frame, it looked like a 5 year old on a Silicone caulking spree. I can't imagine going through and re-doing that until I replace the bunk tents. Also, I thought the lights might be part of my problem as well. Mine had dirty looking silicone around them. I had to clean off all that mess and recaulk. They seem to be good.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:04 PM   #11

Hey, I'm in NC. All the other parts are good it looks like except the one right corner front bunk like I was mentioning to they other poster. I tried doing all the cleaning and I could not find the right Mold Armour. I'll post a pic. I actually found my best luck was cleaning the outside vinyl with straight Awesome cleaner and wiping off. Then, I put the Protect-All on. I sprayed all over on the canvas sides with Mold Armour and it just left light spots behind. I also sprayed with the Awesome. I will have to revisit it. I have been doing the rubber weather stripping and white vinyl across the top.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0925211633.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	263652   Click image for larger version

Name:	0925211103.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	263653   Click image for larger version

Name:	0923211801a.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	263654   Click image for larger version

Name:	0923211800.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	263655  
Old 09-29-2021, 07:28 PM   #12

I think I posted the reply wrong. The pics I posted were some of my problematic areas. I posted the side bunk cleaning the top of the bunk i sprayed was with the Mold Armour from the Gallon jug from Lowes. It cleaned better when with all of the spotting when I sprayed the Awesome cleaner. I will have to see if I can find the "2x" Mold Armour somewhere. I posted the pic of what my front bunk lower corner was like. I have light delamination in the front bunk around the middle. It has not changed anymore in the last couple of weeks. So, I may have gotten a handle on that. The inside pic is of the last bunk that looks to be leaking very lightly around the top of the metal frame inside. It made those light black lines. It looks like silicone all around the top of that jam inside. When I put the compressed white weather stripping under the back gutter. That seemed to help that. The Mold Armour I got that didn't work for me was in a gallon white jug. It just says "Mold Remover and Disinfectant.

Tags
caulk, seal