Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2021, 08:30 AM   #1

Shamrock 235s Bed end tents

Hello All - my wife and I just purchased a 2022 Flagstaff Shamrock 235s hybrid. If all goes well, I will be picking it up later this week (waiting on the DMV) but will not be using it until next spring. My question is regarding the bed tents - I recall reading somewhere that the bed ends will temporarily leak until properly conditioned and the conditioning involves saturating the exterior tents with water at least once, but likely several times for good measure. From what I recall, the water saturation causes the material portion of the tent to permanently swell ensuring a water tight seal going forward. Any Shamrock or Rockwood hybrid owners out there that can comment on the proper procedure to use? The dealer doesn't know anything about it so hoping someone has experience with this. Thank you!
BostonDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:15 PM   #2

Congrats, and welcome to the board BostonDave!

(1) You are going to LOVE your 235S. We purchased the same model, though the Roo branded version). My wife and I are head over heels with the floorplan, and - in particular - the outdoor kitchen and the camping flexibility it provides.

(2) The 'leaking till conditioned' comment about tent ends refers to the STITCHING (which -when wetted - will absorb the smallest amount of water and will swell, preventing any water from sneaking in this way). The 'canvas' itself is vinylized, and will not leak. If you feel so inclined, you can deploy your tent ends, and then chase each seam/stitch with a spray bottle. This might gain you some ground at the beginning of the season, when the trailer has been parked in a dry (inside) environment all winter and the stitching has potentially dried out a little.

We've been in several downpours so far in our new 235S (including the maiden voyage), and haven't seen a single wayward drip or trickle. I suspect your 'issue' might be 'much ado about nothing.'

Related, (3) the PUGs (or Pop-up Gizmos) that the hybrid community sings the praises of are a worthwhile investment. You get a well thought out, reasonably built product that attaches well to your tent ends and provides additional insulation, solar rejection and physical protection for your tent ends. Worthy purchase, IMHO (get the Super High Winds version, and four cheapie carabiners to clip together under the bunk boards for easy deployment).

(4) Also, if it helps, I suspect that the selling dealership should be able to provide you with a temporary tag to get your trailer to wherever you are going to store it for the winter (you do know where you're going to store it over the winter, right?).

And - most importantly - enjoy your new camper! It's GREAT! How did you spec it?
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:14 PM   #3

Thank you!

Thanks a million for taking the time to respond to my inquiry! I feel much better about the stitching now and feel better prepared to deal with it and knowing that it's not a major issue.

The 235S floorplan is about the best floorplan that I've seen in any trailer that I've looked at. I sold my 33' class A motorhome last fall and the 235s actually has much more room than the motorhome - unreal for the size.

Thanks for the tip on the temp plate but I live in MA and MA does not issue temp plates. Here, the vehicle must be registered before it can be taken on public roads. The dealer only has 1 registry runner and the number of transactions they can process has been limited by COVID-19 regulations. Not sure why, but that's the MA RMV rule. Coming up on two weeks and I chomping at the bit to get the camper!

Thanks again for your reply - much appreciated!
BostonDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonDave View Post
Thanks a million for taking the time to respond to my inquiry! I feel much better about the stitching now and feel better prepared to deal with it and knowing that it's not a major issue.
You bet, buddy! There's a world of experience here, I'm just happy to be able to help.

I wasn't sure if you'd purchased in-state or not. I purchased out-of-state and the dealer (thanks, again, RVWholesalers) hooked me up with a 30-day (or was it 60 day?) temp tag to get home. I got registered and paid my tax in the home state, and picked up my permanent plate the very day before a 1,000 mile trip out to CO. Timing!

Anyway, Welcome again. I hope you get a chance to get out there in your new trailer soon. Happy for you!
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:32 AM   #5

Don't bother with a spray bottle on the seams -- just wet all the tents with a special device called a hose. And why do it now before winter storage? The amount of water that seeped thru my stitches was wiped with a paper towel -- hardly a leak. I'd wait for spring when you're getting the camper ready for the season.

Either cover the camper or find a place for indoor storage. Winter weather is not kind to these trailers with all the doors and hatches. Freeze/thaw cycle -- you know all about that. County fairgrounds will often store trailers and boats. Can't recommend indoor storage strongly enough. We're ending Season 17 with our Roo which has been indoors all but one or two Ohio winters and covered during them. Currently in year-round indoor storage.

Pay attention to winterization. If the dealer tested all the systems there's water in there -- you're familiar with the procedure. I'm not real confident in your dealer.

Torque the lug nuts before pulling out of the dealers as several will likely be loose. Use a torque wrench. Likewise inflate the tires to maximum cold sidewall pressure.

-- Chuck
Old 10-13-2021, 08:00 PM   #6

I don't know how they're building the new ones, but the tent end on my old one has never leaked. What has leaked is the joint at the top of the bunk end. Since the fiberglass on the outside is glued to pressboard, it delaminates easily. Mine came with a tiny, tiny rain gutter. I replaced it with a something much bigger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2944.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	264381  
Old 10-15-2021, 03:12 PM   #7

As a former New York State resident, I feel your pain about DMV. The dealer might loan you a dealer plate or tow it home for you if you're not too far away. Transporters obviously have some sort of dealer tag to haul the unit from the manufacturer's site to the dealership. Just a thought...especially since time is of the essence for being able to "test drive" the rig in your driveway before real winter sets in.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:46 AM   #8
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonDave View Post
...{snip}...Thanks for the tip on the temp plate but I live in MA and MA does not issue temp plates. Here, the vehicle must be registered before it can be taken on public roads...{snip}
Ain't our state great?

We're suppose to get rain this weekend so call the dealer and see if you can come in and put up the bunk ends for the rain. Just to be cautious, store the mattresses on the dinette and put some bath towels in the bunks to catch any leaks.

Our dealer here in W. Mass actually "seasoned" our bunk ends for us before we picked up the ROO! We tested it after we got it home and zero leaks. It's been dry for three years now.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper")
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:37 PM   #9

Just drive it home regardless of license plates. You own it. Just carry the paperwork.

-- Chuck

Tags
bed, shamrock